• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

German Amazon doesn't have the discount. My point is if they do not offer the discount in German Amazon they can as well not offer it at German Amazon at all, as nobody will order it there ;-) The only point there is if they offer the discount there too, or at least some discount (on German Amazon Amazon Prime customers can order without shipping cost).

It is not just US versus German Amazon. I have seen more than once an item at a good discount on US Amazon that is either at a lesser discount or not discount at all on Canada Amazon. Maybe Amazon as a whole sees Americans as much more of a bargain-hunting country and thus we get the biggest discounts?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I might be completely wrong about this. But I think I remember hearing that reason they're doing the DM/Player books is because it tested well with market research, and the fact they sold well just backed up that assumption. But I can't remember well enough to defend the statement.

On why there is no Monster Manual 2, I do remember why they said they're not doing it. And you can blame it on those pesky new players. They found because of the buying habits that they developed from video games that having Monster Manual 2/3/4 is confusing (or to be fair, its not intuitive to their shopping habits).

For example, If they want to play GTA (Grand Theft Auto), They go to the store and go straight for GTA 5, the most recent release. They completely ignore all the other GTA games because they are old, Indicated to them by the fact that they are all less then 5. GTA 4 has worse graphics, and they're servers are probably empty and you probably need an old console to even play it. ect ect.

A not zero amount of times, a new person to TTRPG, would go to the FLGS wanting to buy a PHB to start playing D&D for the very first time. See PHB and PHB 2 next to each other on the shelf, and grab PHB 2. Because its the newest one so its obviously the one they should get, right?

If you have a Volos Guide to Monsters, a Bobs Guide to Monsters, a Jennys Guide to Monsters Then they all stand on equal footing in the minds of new players and it doesn't matter that Volos is the oldest and Jennys is the newest. And they said that if they ever make a PHB it is definitely not going to be called PHB 2. It'll probably be something like "Mandys Wonderous Player Expansion DLC (That you buy only AFTER the PHB)." Because yes, we probably do need it spelled out that plainly. Sorry Grogs.
Xanathar's Guide is the PHB2, and DMG2.

hejtmane

Explorer
Funny the original unearth arcana 130 pages and $20 which was super expensive in 1984 and no Amazon to bring the price down. My option Walden's or B Dalton's

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

flametitan

Explorer
Funny the original unearth arcana 130 pages and $20 which was super expensive in 1984 and no Amazon to bring the price down. My option Walden's or B Dalton's

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

For reference, the $20 Unearthed Arcana would be $47.51 now, or about the price of Xanathar's Guide.

Lylandra

Adventurer
German Amazon doesn't have the discount. My point is if they do not offer the discount in German Amazon they can as well not offer it at German Amazon at all, as nobody will order it there ;-) The only point there is if they offer the discount there too, or at least some discount (on German Amazon Amazon Prime customers can order without shipping cost).

You could also go to amazon UK and get the book for ~25€ (without shipping). GBP are quite cheap these days :D

G

Guest 6801328

For reference, the $20 Unearthed Arcana would be $47.51 now, or about the price of Xanathar's Guide.

This got me perusing the original Unearthed Arcana. There just a handful of new classes/sub-classes, with startling word-counts required to describe each one, including many, many tables. For example, the table spelling out a Cavalier's weapon bonuses:
- At 1st level, the cavalier is + 1 “to hit” with the lance, if used
while mounted.
- At 3rd level, the cavalier is + 1 “to hit” with either the broad
sword, long sword, or scimitar (player’s choice).
- At 5th level, the cavalier is + 1 “to hit” with either the horseman’s
mace, horseman’s flail, or horseman’s military pick (player’s
choice).
- At 7th level, the cavalier is + 2 “to hit” with the lance, if used
while mounted.
- At 9th level, the cavalier is + 2 “to hit” with either the broad
sword, long sword, or scimitar (depending upon what was chosen
at 3rd level).
- At 11th level, the cavalier is + 2 “to hit” with the horseman’s
mace, horseman’s flail, or horseman’s military pick (depending
upon what was chosen at 5th level).
- At 13th level, the cavalier is + 3 “to hit” with the lance, if used
while mounted.

Yeah, some real page count value in that volume.

Here's a gem that made me laugh:
At 4th level, a female elven cavalier (and only a female elf) may handle and ride a unicorn as a steed.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This got me perusing the original Unearthed Arcana. There just a handful of new classes/sub-classes, with startling word-counts required to describe each one, including many, many tables. For example, the table spelling out a Cavalier's weapon bonuses:

Yeeeeaaaah, that was a literal "we are about to go bankrupt" cash grab by Gygax & Co.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned

Made worse by the fact that nearly the entire book was reprints of Dragon articles. So if you already had the mags, there was very little point in buying the book.

Remove ads

Remove ads