• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But VGTM isn't a more interesting name. It's named after some schmuck I've barely hard of. Strip out the meaningless words and your left with "Monsters". Do that with the Monster Manual, which at least has alliteration, and you have "Monster".

What's worse is that calling it "Volo's" made me think it was a FR book. It's misleading title actively discouraged me from buying the book.

The more I think about Everything the more I think it's not worth the price of admission.
It's named after a character from a hit line of pulp fantasy novels, and has more character than "Mo' Monsters IV."

Maybe the using character names thing doesn't work for you, but that doesn't mean it is a bad idea for marketing purposes.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
About the price issue - is it really intended, that it is CHEAPER for a german to buy the book from amazon.com, let it be shipped from US to Germany instead of buying it from German Amazon?

Price on amazon.com: 30 USD+International shipping = 35 EUR
Price on amazon.de as Amazon Prime Customer (Free shipping) = 40 EUR

Sounds very weird to me.
It normally ends up cheaper for me to buy on Amazon and ship it to New Zealand than buy it film the local game store. Not that I'm counting the dollars, it's just more convenient for me to have it delivered.

MagicSN

First Post
It normally ends up cheaper for me to buy on Amazon and ship it to New Zealand than buy it film the local game store. Not that I'm counting the dollars, it's just more convenient for me to have it delivered.

Yeah, but I am not comparing Amazon and local store. I am comparing Amazon and Amazon (US-Amazon and German Amazon). That should cost the same, it should be cheaper on german amazon than on US-Amazon (due to no shipping cost due to Amazon Prime), the "base" price should be the same!

The difference was not as big with other manuals, but this time - it is huuuuuge! It just makes no sense to order it on amazon.de, it only makes sense to order on amazon.com...

OK, so here's the thing: you are not entirely satisfied with the three rule books WotC has released in the past few years...but you bought all of them. Let's say they had done 12 books in that time,
No, because they didn't. And I'm not complaining about quantity. I'm complaining about quality.

WotC is playing the numbers, which night not make the absolute best books...but it keeps the game going financially.
This does not matter to me.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yeah, but I am not comparing Amazon and local store. I am comparing Amazon and Amazon (US-Amazon and German Amazon). That should cost the same, it should be cheaper on german amazon than on US-Amazon (due to no shipping cost due to Amazon Prime), the "base" price should be the same!

The difference was not as big with other manuals, but this time - it is huuuuuge! It just makes no sense to order it on amazon.de, it only makes sense to order on amazon.com...
Does German Amazon have the discount? The USA Amazon has a discount from $50 to $30 last I checked. If the unless Germany Amazon follows suit then that isn't too surprising since it really is a massive discount, there isn't much markup on books so Amazon won't be making much money them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, because they didn't. And I'm not complaining about quantity. I'm complaining about quality.

This does not matter to me.
But the qualities you are speaking of are related to quantity: one rule book a year means it needs to appeal as broad a base as possible, including people who like random name lists and people who don't, people who only play and people who only DM, at the same time between the same cover. This means focus will fall by the wayside much if the time.

That you have bought all three rule books despite your reservations suggests that they are succeeding.

But the qualities you are speaking of are related to quantity: one rule book a year means it needs to appeal as broad a base as possible, including people who like random name lists and people who don't, people who only play and people who only DM, at the same time between the same cover. This means focus will fall by the wayside much if the time.

You theory ignores the adventures that they sell. They appeal nearly exclusively to DMs. (And people who just like to read adventures) There should be something that is more exclusive to the players. Hybrid books are not needed.

That you have bought all three rule books despite your reservations suggests that they are succeeding.

No, it suggests I'm stupid. Or have sufficient money to spend unwisely.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You theory ignores the adventures that they sell. They appeal nearly exclusively to DMs. (And people who just like to read adventures) There should be something that is more exclusive to the players. Hybrid books are not needed.

No, it suggests I'm stupid. Or have sufficient money to spend unwisely.
By and large, DMs are the ones who buy books: players who buy books just don't know that they are DMs yet.

The APs all have player material, as well.

I think that you are neither stupid, nor wasting your money. WotC figured out how to sell books to you effectively, is all.

Remove ads

Remove ads