Tracking on foot vs. horseback? Also, covering tracks

zyzzyr

First Post
Hi all,

Looking at the Track feat, the DC for tracking someone on foot (let's say Medium-size) versus tracking someone on horseback (which are Large) is only a difference of 1??

Does this make sense?

I have a group of 8 people on foot. I would have figured tracking 8 people on horseback is much easier!

There is a modifier for creature size, but it says only to be applied once. Does this mean once per every three members in the group (that is, if the DC is -1 for every three members, does the -1 for Large also get added in every three members, if they are Large?)

Lastly, are there any rules governing covering tracks? Who can do it? Anyone? Is there a skill check you have to make (I note there's a +5 to the DC if the tracks are being covered, but no mention of how you can do this!)

Thanks,

zyzzyr

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Apparently, every one can cover his tracks, by the rules.

You could create a house rule so covering your track makes survive opposed by the other's survive check, and not having track will give you a disadvantage.

iwatt

First Post
The opposed survival checks for covered tracks is a rule variant in Master's of the Wild. It also states that all apropriate modifiers be added to the coverers check (size, #, etc..). I´d prefer this to a flat +5 to the track DC, because it helps out experienced trackers to cover there own tracks. Of course covering tracks implies moving at 1/2 speed I believe.

zyzzyr

First Post
Thanks for the tip on MotW. I have that book but didn't see it in there in a quick search. I will use that for covering tracks.

In regards to the Large vs. Medium question -- any thoughts? The difference in tracking 8 Medium-size vs. 8 Large is only 1 or 1/every 3 members (so 3 in total)?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
iwatt said:
Of course covering tracks implies moving at 1/2 speed I believe.

Yes, I think so, but I also think that you should be able to do it faster, like you can track faster (with a penalty)

Waldo

First Post
You apply the size modifier only once, regardless of numbers.

If this was not the case, 6 fine creatures would be harder to track than 1.

zyzzyr

First Post
Yes, but at the same time, this means that there is little difference between tracking 6 horses or 6 grigs - it would be the same as the difference between tracking an ogre or tracking a cat.

The DC difference between either of these would only be 3. I would think that the difference between the ogre and the cat would be less than the difference between 6 ogres and 6 cats.

Waldo

First Post
But ogres walk in single file, to hide their numbers.

Just kidding.

Yes, that does seem reasonable, but the rules don't currently allow for it. Feel free to house-rule away.

Perhaps any negative modifier to DC is repeated for every 3 creatures.

Remove ads