Best LP/8-Track/Cassette/CD/ Digital/Opening Song

Riley

Legend
Which reminds me….

Today I want to endorse Madonna + William Orbit’s Drowned World/Substitute for Love (and it is absolutely a single ‘song’) as one of the very best album openers.

I listened to (at least the start of) it nearly every morning for many years - as my wake up alarm - yet somehow I still love it unreservedly.

(I still viscerally recoil at the first notes of several other great songs that failed badly as wake up calls.)

It’s a really slow build, yet it remained certain that by the end of its 5 minutes, I would be ready to face the day. And/or the rest of the album.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
GnR AppforD I remember picking up at a record store in Kenmore Square in Boston. I got one of those radio station promo copies that has the corner cut off. IIRC, it was before the album got big - but must have been after it released because I'm pretty certain it was in 1988. Either way, it had that Robt. Williams cover that eventually got banned. Sadly, I no longer have any of my vinyl 😥

What I do remember is loving that opening lick in WttJ and of course the hook for Sweet Child o Mine. I think though my favorite song was Paradise City... That summer I moved from Boston to southern California - and I never came back. Maybe it was all Axl's fault?...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Which reminds me….

Today I want to endorse Madonna + William Orbit’s Drowned World/Substitute for Love (and it is absolutely a single ‘song’) as one of the very best album openers.

I listened to (at least the start of) it nearly every morning for many years - as my wake up alarm - yet somehow I still love it unreservedly.

(I still viscerally recoil at the first notes of several other great songs that failed as wake up calls.)

It’s a really slow build, yet it remained certain that by the end of its 5 minutes, I would be ready to face the day.

(my favorite Madonna album - maybe because I'm a big fan of William Orbit)

R_J_K75

Legend
'm pretty certain it was in 1988. Either way, it had that Robt. Williams cover that eventually got banned. Sadly, I no longer have any of my vinyl
If that was 1988, and Im not doubting you, that was late. Im pretty sure that not many of those covers got out, then alot were "destroyed", no pun intended, when the record was released in 1987. But getting it from a radio station would make sense as they probably got a ton of copies when it was released and probably only promoted it when Sweet Child O Mine got big. I was 12 in 1987 when I got a GNR AFD shirt for Christmas. It had that cover on the back; how the hell I got away with wearing that in grammar school is beyond me.

R_J_K75

Legend
So today its...

The Mars Volta - Aberinkula - The Bedlam In Goliath

The Great Southern Trend Kill - Pantera. Tim Horton, his general manager said to him when they gave it to him as a signing bonus, this car will be the death of you, a Pantera., and it was Tim Horton - Wikipedia

Sting Me - Black Crowes, Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

Remove ads