Paizo New Roundup With Extra Ultimate Wilderness

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! As always, I am your excitable and long-winded host, ready to give you all the deets on the latest from our favorite company of golems. It seems that Paizo is laser-focused on its newest upcoming release: Ultimate Wilderness! That said, they’re not about to leave Starfinder fans hanging in the solar winds. Let’s get started!

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! As always, I am your excitable and long-winded host, ready to give you all the deets on the latest from our favorite company of golems. It seems that Paizo is laser-focused on its newest upcoming release: Ultimate Wilderness! That said, they’re not about to leave Starfinder fans hanging in the solar winds. Let’s get started!

Let’s start things off with some reassurances for Starfinder GMs worried about the 22 new playable races available in the Alien Archive. Thurston Hillman lays out the Starfinder Society’s plans for incorporating the various races into organized play that will keep things sane.

First and foremost, the conventions around the world will be divided into regions that each have access to a smaller amount of the new races. Each region is scheduled to cycle through the different groups of new races, so GMs have an opportunity to learn the new races at an approachable pace and players still get the opportunity to try them all out (eventually).

For players looking to take advantage of different races immediately, the Starfinder Society is implementing a new player boon. Players who play six unique Starfinder scenarios with any combination of characters can gain access to two of the new races, while playing twelve or more opens up a third. Previously-played scenarios count towards this limit, so you may already be eligible to play your favorite alien!

Of course, no company is perfect, so the Golem is open to feedback on how you the players would like to see these new races rolled out. Feel free to bombard them with ideas, suggestions, and requests! They literally asked for it!

Now, on to Pathfinder, and from there to the upcoming supplement making waves: Ultimate Wilderness! This supplement is geared towards a primally-focused campaign or character. Stephen Radney-McFarland gives us a deeper peek at a new base class that taps into the same primal energy as the druid: the shifter.

The shifter a master of many powerful bestial forms and can combine lesser aspects into a single composite whole. The shifter also has a defensive instinct to keep her from harm, and uses her connection with nature to commune with animals, track, and move effortlessly and silently through the wilds.

Like all base classes, the shifter will come with a bevy of archetypes. Elemental shifters gain boons based on the elemental planes, while fiendflesh shifters make pacts with dark powers for extra strength. If you’re worried about being locked out of this new primal power because you want to take a spin with the new and improved plant races, worry no longer: the updates remove their immunity to polymorph effects, as well of some of their more powerful damage immunities. Ah, the price you pay for ambition. Should still be fun!

Don’t think I’m going to bury the lede on plant races, oh no. Your old tasty favorite, the ghoran, is joined by the vine leshy and the gathlains in Ultimate Wilderness, and Linda Zayas-Palmer has all sorts of tidbits to tell.

You’re probably familiar with ghorans and their delicious flesh (great grapplers they do NOT make), but Ultimate Wilderness provides a new archetype to try. The aromaphile ghoran produces clouds of sweet odors and pollen that can hypnotize or debilitate their foes or help their allies recover from negative effects.

Vine leshys are a new type of leshy debuting in Ultimate Wilderness. Unlike the leshys you may be used to from the Bestiaries, vine leshys only take up a static ward for brief periods of time. This allows them to wander around and search for new exciting vistas for their newest ward.

Vegetable people don’t get all the fun in Ultimate Wilderness. The free-spirited gathlains are a new race of fey that are capricious and fun-loving to a fault. Even other fey races might be shocked by their pranks. I’ll reserve my judgement as a GM on how excited I am about a race that goes out of its way to make mischief, but it should make for exciting and unpredictable campaigns no matter what!

A new supplement for Pathfinder wouldn’t feel at home without a new library of archetypes, and boy does Ultimate Wilderness provide. Over 60 pages are dedicated to archetypes for base classes, hybrid classes, and even the new occult classes.

Well that’s all for this edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! Stay tuned for more on the Golem, and possibly even some third parties!

Ben Reece

Ben Reece

Ok, I have not heard anything like that. What aspects of Shifting do other classes do better?

In addition to the above, read some of the reviews on the paizo site. I think the product thread turned into a flame war and talk about the shifter is no longer allowed (or something like that).

Hellkat9940

Explorer
In addition to the above, read some of the reviews on the paizo site. I think the product thread turned into a flame war and talk about the shifter is no longer allowed (or something like that).

I keep hearing mentions of "November 20" and "For the good of the community" as well as a ban on shifter talk, so it seems they're locked down Shifter discussion until all the books get sent out or something of the like.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Basically, a Skinwalker Barbarian or Bloodrager with the right options can do the who full BAB shapeshifter thing more effectively than the Shifter class itself can, and a Druid's Wild Shape utility easily puts the Shifter to shame.

That is a pretty concise breakdown of the Shifters problems. Is there much feed back on how it plays at the table? I could forgive a lot of flaws if it provides an interesting play experience.

Hellkat9940

Explorer
That is a pretty concise breakdown of the Shifters problems. Is there much feed back on how it plays at the table? I could forgive a lot of flaws if it provides an interesting play experience.

From what I've read it plays okay, but it basically peaks at level 5 where it gets Large sized Wild Shape (for the two forms it can take) and get Pounce.

Basically it's the lackluster fluff class features (Wild Empathy when you have no animal companion, trackless step, track, woodland stride), plus Monk's Wis to AC (which you can use armor with, but only get 1/2 the bonus), and then worse versions of Hunter's Animal Focus, Monk's Unarmed/Flurry, and Druid's Wildshape.

The two early game mechanics are also clunky, as bringing out the claws and activating your Animal Aspect (since you only get one at level 1 and then one ever 5 levels up to 5 at 20th) both take up a Swift action, meaning it takes two rounds for you to get your shifty thing going.

As a result you pretty much have no utility capacity with either the Aspects or the Wild Shapes, since they're locked in entirely to those forms.

Like... Feral Hunter basically gets all the same class features without the limitations.

The only thing they're missing out on is the at-will Claw attacks (and you can get perma-claws you don't have to spend a standard action on from your race) and the Wis to AC.

Feral Hunter can choose their Animal Focus at will, while a Shifter is limited to 1-5 of the list, and can Wild Shape into whatever animals they want, as opposed to being limited to whatever their Aspect/Focus is.

The Shifter only really would play different at levels 4 and 5, where it gets acess to large sizes with Beast Shape II, which Feral Hunter and Druid don't get until 6. And with the Wis to AC it'd be ever so slightly tankier, I suppose.

As for interesting play experiences, the Oozemorph Shifter is basically... I have no idea what they were thinking. Because you turn into a blob that can't interact with stuff, can't use items, can't hold onto gear, can't climb, can't attune to magic items, can't speak, and can't do several other things by default.

This blob of uselessness is their new base form.

For 1 hour per class level they can take on a humanoid form and be normal. They eventually branch out into being able to do other forms and such, but at early levels your character is a blob that is unable to communicate, can't carry its own gear, and is basically an uncrittable blob that can do 2 natural attacks and has DR 4/slashing.

In my eyes 1 level of Oozemorph Hunter would be the worst dip you could take on a character possible.

jimtillman

Explorer
Apparently there's a lot of negative feedback on the paizo forum because a lot of classes are better than the shifter at shifting.

not a lot of classes but a few
, the druid mainly it but lets face it the druid is the poster child of broken classes :)
people felt that shifters would be fighter druids but thats not what was ever really pitched by paizo
personally i like the shifters and think that the archtypes are neat

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
In my eyes 1 level of Oozemorph Hunter would be the worst dip you could take on a character possible.

That does sound hilarious. Do the designers ever give any feedback on what was intended? I mean I could see aquatic shifting to be a relatively niche build but an Ooze that can not use anything seems...unexpected?

Starbuck_II

First Post
Generally, the class is basically features sawed off of existing classes and mashed together.

You take a renamed Hunter's Animal Focus, dubbed Animal Aspect, just one of them, and that's your shape. You get to pick another one every few levels, but for the most part you get to count the number of animal forms you can shift into on one hand.

And you don't shift at the start, it takes a few levels to get proper wildshape (which is limited to your chosen form).

You've got slooooooooooowly scaling claw attacks and Monk's +Wis to AC that stacks with armor (you have the Druid's no metal restriction).

The Shifter's actual shifting is Beast Shape II, and pretty much all the actual shifting comes entirely from that spell effect.

It gets a Large form and Pounce online at level 5, and kinda peaks there.

As a Druid can pick whatever animal they like for their forms, not just the handful that are the specific aspects they chose.

This makes the shapeshifting utility quite limited.

Oh, and Paizo forgot to include fully aquatic critters on the list, so no Shark Shape for you.

And some of the archetypes are pretty lackluster. The Elemental one trades out your always on claws for limited use abilities, so especially at low levels you can be a Shifter that runs out of the capacity to shift, and the Ooze-based one basically makes it so you can't use any gear, mundane or magical, while in your other form.

I think basically everything from the Shifter is taken from some other class (Ranger, Hunter, Monk, Druid), and is either functionally identical or made outright worse, IE Animal Aspect being a worse version of Animal Focus, Shifter's Wild Shape being FAR more limited than a Druid;s animal Wild Shape options, etc.

Basically, a Skinwalker Barbarian or Bloodrager with the right options can do the who full BAB shapeshifter thing more effectively than the Shifter class itself can, and a Druid's Wild Shape utility easily puts the Shifter to shame.

Honestly, it makes no sense that he is worse than the Druid.
He should already be better than Druid at changing shape since he can't shift at will (and lacks spells). If he had unlimited shifting, I could see why he would be less good (it would be a trade of use vs power).

I guess it makes a good dip class (5 levels only).

Hellkat9940

Explorer
That does sound hilarious. Do the designers ever give any feedback on what was intended? I mean I could see aquatic shifting to be a relatively niche build but an Ooze that can not use anything seems...unexpected?

The original designer turned up in this thread.

Here's what he had to say on the being unable to use equipment thing:

The ooze form isn't a benefit, it's effectively a "bad thing" that the oozemorph manages to make the best of. In their natural, blobby state they're at a distinct disadvantage in a lot of ways. This is why their damage reduction and compression abilities still work outside of their ooze form. Outside of getting a (slow) climb speed, they're very vulnerable in that state.

The oozemorph is mean to excel when in humanoid (or others, depending on level) form, utilizing damage reduction, compression, and morphic weaponry (on top of the remaining shifter abilities).

Dropping into blob form might be able to be creatively used to good effect, but it is primarily a drawback and should be viewed as such.

And

Definitely intended them to be able to use nothing (except slotless, non-held magic items, like ioun stones) while in fluidic form. The intention was, if they can't wear an item, they can't benefit from it.

and

An oozemorph in fluidic form couldn't hold the potion to administer it (since it can't hold items). But there's nothing saying you can't pour it on the ooze. That's another GM-specific question, mostly can something without a mouth drink a potion? I'm sure that's come up in PFS. I mean, oozes (even just as monsters) can drown, so there's some weird spaces for consideration there.

They can't pull a backpack either, because the "cant hold anything" caveat. That also means they can't open doors, flip lever, or anything that requires hands.

They absolutely could have an oil slathered all over them, though.

From what I'm reading on the thread, the author wrote up the thing, gave it to Paizo, and Paizo put it in the book as he'd written it.

That basically confirms that it got zero playtesting.

jimtillman

Explorer
Honestly, it makes no sense that he is worse than the Druid.
He should already be better than Druid at changing shape since he can't shift at will (and lacks spells). If he had unlimited shifting, I could see why he would be less good (it would be a trade of use vs power).

I guess it makes a good dip class (5 levels only).

druids without an archtype are arguable the most powerful class in the game and they have the best shapeshifting,
there was no chance the shifter was going to be better at shapeshifting
, nor was the shifter every advertised to be a full shapeshifter

looking through the rules they appear to be about equal with most non core classes.
though i think the archtypes are the best thing about them

Remove ads

Remove ads