D&D 5E Conjure Random Creatures

pukunui

Legend
Hi all,

So in my Tomb of Annihilation game, the PCs have just hit 5th level. This means the druid can now cast conjure animals. Like the other spells that conjure random creatures, this one lets the player choose the number and max CR of the creatures they want to summon, but apparently it's up to me as the DM to decide what actually shows up within the given parameters.

Since the spell always says "CR X or lower", I could be a complete jerk and just always have CR 0 toads show up or something. Luckily I'm not a jerk. I could be a nice DM instead and always pick creatures of the max CR chosen. Or I could be random too and make it so he has to roll on a chart to see what he gets.

Or I could be super generous and just let him pick the creatures himself. I did that once before, because the last druid I GMed for had a bear theme going, and the player wanted to be able to only ever summon bears (and he only ever wildshaped into a bear as well). In this case, the player has expressed a (strong) preference for dinosaurs.

Fortunately for me, the player in question has also said that he'll only ever pick the one or two beast options, so that I needn't worry about cluttering up the battlefield with heaps of little critters. That will certainly make things easier to manage at the table, although it might also make fights a lot easier, if there's frequently going to be an extra CR 1 or 2 dino with the party.

To whit, my fellow DMs: What would you do in this situation? What is your preferred method for handling these spells? I would appreciate some constructive advice on this matter.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Horwath

Legend
Or just let the player summons what he wants if it's somewhat logical to the setting you are in.

If you are going to play with HIS/HERS spell you will see that really soon that spell will be off the memorized spell list.

No one wants to spend and Action and a spell slot for a chance to do something usefull.

Iry

Hero
He is expending an important resource, so I wouldn’t recommend a completely random approach. The easiest answer is letting him pick, especially since he is self limiting to dinosaurs.

There aren't that many dinosaurs available, and I'm not sure how many have CRs in the right range. If your player is only going to be summoning CR 1 or 2 creatures, it shouldn't be hard to come up with a small table of options to roll on to see what turns up. For example if they cast it at higher level, they might get a pack of deinonychus led by an alpha using allosaur stats etc.
Talk to your player, and see how they want to flavour the spell.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I created a random table of CR appropriate creatures (I would not give the player creatures of a lower CR than was intended, or at least would increase the numbers appropriately).

That said, if the player wants to go with a theme, I see no issue with letting them pick. IME, most of it's power is in it's versatility (right creature for the right job) so limiting the creature types also limits the power.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You might have to scour Volo and the MM for every valid animal, and see if you / the player can think of an appropriate dinosaur to 'wrap around' the stat block.

Having done that - maybe over a weekend away-from-table - I would create a chart of 'what is summoned'. Once the PC has Summoned something at random, he can later cast the spell to summon it specifically.
Once he gets a Brontosaurus, he will likely want to use it in future as a bulldozer / foliage-clearer. Likewise an upcast Summon to get a pack of Jurassic Park -style Velociraptors to fend off local interference.

Croesus

Adventurer
I like the flavor of only summoning dinosaurs, so I'd use a random table of only dinosaurs. If there aren't enough of each CR, I'd suggest re-skinning some beasts as dinosaurs. Just modify their appearance and give them Latin-sounding names and you're good to go.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I don’t like the summon spells as written, you study and or create or ask a Spirit or deity for the spell, you wouldn’t say “send whatever.” Let the player decide and stat them out and bring the sheets and bring the miniatures, if they prep anything is ok as long as the CR is right.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
For your druid character, I'd let them pick their own animals. But man--if I was playing a wild sorcerer with Conjure Whatever I would love it if I rolled randomly to see what's summoned. (I have no idea if Conjure Whatever is on the Sorcerer list but extra randomness would be amazing.)

Quickleaf

Legend
Hi all,

So in my Tomb of Annihilation game, the PCs have just hit 5th level. This means the druid can now cast conjure animals. Like the other spells that conjure random creatures, this one lets the player choose the number and max CR of the creatures they want to summon, but apparently it's up to me as the DM to decide what actually shows up within the given parameters.

Since the spell always says "CR X or lower", I could be a complete jerk and just always have CR 0 toads show up or something. Luckily I'm not a jerk. I could be a nice DM instead and always pick creatures of the max CR chosen. Or I could be random too and make it so he has to roll on a chart to see what he gets.

Or I could be super generous and just let him pick the creatures himself. I did that once before, because the last druid I GMed for had a bear theme going, and the player wanted to be able to only ever summon bears (and he only ever wildshaped into a bear as well). In this case, the player has expressed a (strong) preference for dinosaurs.

Fortunately for me, the player in question has also said that he'll only ever pick the one or two beast options, so that I needn't worry about cluttering up the battlefield with heaps of little critters. That will certainly make things easier to manage at the table, although it might also make fights a lot easier, if there's frequently going to be an extra CR 1 or 2 dino with the party.

To whit, my fellow DMs: What would you do in this situation? What is your preferred method for handling these spells? I would appreciate some constructive advice on this matter.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Random tables like this, customized to your setting (Chult) and player's preference (dinosaurs). I'd encourage making them with the player's help if they have the wherewithal, otherwise I'd use a "Monsters by CR" list (https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_MonstersCR.pdf) or Kobold.com to populate your lists with dinosaurs from the MM & Volo's.

Remove ads