D&D 5E COS - Spoilers! Need plot help.

Gwaihir

Explorer
So, in my COS campaign, the PCS left Ismark and Ireena behind in Vallaki as they chased down the Tarroka reading leads, So theyve been gone about a day now at Van Richtens Tower recovering the sun sword.

The PCs were well aware of the "Quest" to keep Ireena from clutches of Strahd, and they understood that during previous sessions, but perhaps due to the weakness of the DM (me) or the fact that we play once per month (or less.) They just left town without them.

So, how do I play this? My first thought would be to let Strahd capture both from Vallaki, either killing Ismark or turning him. I think it would be fun to have Vampire Ismark coming after the group. The bones of St Andral were restored, I guess its possible Strahd assaults the town but the two survive? Does Strahd go full out kill mode on the PCS once he has her?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
G

Last edited:

Ganymede81

First Post
My players never followed up with Ismark and left Barovia behind them.

I handled it by having Strahd kill Ismark and turn Ireena offscreen. Barovia is now overrun with Strahd Zombies and the wraith of Ismark haunts the Burgomaster's Mansion. The only living souls left in the town are the hags of Old Bonegrinder (which was burned down by Izek Strazni after they tried selling their wares in Vallaki) and Mad Mary (who is scraping by like a scavenger).

It'll be a fun encounter when they decide to head back.

Consider asking them, before the next session, whether they meant to do that or just forgot to mention it. Don't punish the players for a mistake.

I would not call this a mistake. It is just one branch of a branching storyline.

Not in your case, no. The players made a choice not to follow a possible branch.

But imagine if Gwaihir tells his players about Ireena's kidnapping and they all go "WTF? I thought she was with us? When did this happen?" That's not good for anyone's game.

If the players deliberately left Ireena in Vallaki - especially if they thought it was "safe" there - full steam on the consequences train.

jasper

Rotten DM
So what if they didn't write notes and forgot. They have to be reminded there are reactions to being absentminded. I had a player who rescued a princess then wanted to marry her. After some discussions about what would in game I said okay. He was happy. 3 sessions later he totally forgets he married.
When the pc got home he was met with two cross bolts to the chest. A cat trying to scratch his eyes out. And cujo biting his behind. He was mad that she got pets while he was away adventuring for 1 and a half months game time. Then she got mad.

Irda Ranger

First Post
My players deliberately left Ismark and Ireena in Vallaki too, in the care of St Andral's. With the bones restored and the spawn at the coffin maker's shop killed, she was at the cathedral safe or a week.

I did add to the rules though that the Hallow over the church also prevented Strahd from divining their location, so he didn't know where she was. The PCs had gone to some lengths to disguise her during the journey from Barovia to Vallaki, so his spies hadn't recognized her either. So that bought them some time to acquire the sun sword and holy symbol.

Eventually though Strahd did become fed up with their meddling in Vallaki and killed the Baron, turned his wife and half the town guard into vampires, and instituted martial law over the town. But they had already moved Ireena to a new safehouse outside of town before that so she eventually was reunited with Sergei.

Coroc

Hero
Seriously?

If you write a spoiler in your headline for tomb of horrors or against the giants, fine if you have to, as an attention getter. But even with this old stuff you should not, and I explain why.

Tbh there are not so many people, who are like you obviously, able to play every new content within months of publishing so for them the release date does not matter at all.
We got to work and do other things and maybe get a session 1ce per month and maybe we still are exited for some new stuff.

Even with old stuff it is bad habit: My group does not know many of the 2nd ed greyhawk stuff e.g. and I do use that for my campaign. I do not want them to read up any of it here although the danger is low.

You know there are different kind of readers, and I am one of the sort who does read blocks, means I trace a whole paragraph and do a detail reading of important things after that if I am in a hurry. And for people like me a spoiler warning in the headline is to late, even if spoilers start only in the third or fourth line.

So please do not use your measure to judge other people in their habits or wishes, you would not have the same being done to you. And besides, it is not that difficult to do your headline like "CoS plot questions (possible spoilers)". I am sure it does not keep people being interested in the topic from reading or answering your thread.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases