D&D 5E COS - Spoilers! Need plot help.

ccs

41st lv DM
Please do spoiler warnings instead and do not put potential spoilers in the thread title.

That Strahd wants to turn Ireena isn't much of a spoiler as CoS is just a modern revamp of I6: Ravenloft from 30+ years ago....
Or a great deal longer as Ravenloft itself is just a D&D version of Stokers Dracula. Surprise! The vampire wants the girl. Bet you didn't see that coming.

Gwaihir

Explorer
From Mercule -When you get down to brass tacks, I've always taken the way the party deals with Ireena as an indicator of how interested they are in dealing with the "damsel in distress" motif. Sometimes, they just want to deal with the vampire. No sense in forcing Ireena on them.

We played this Campaign last night. The PCs allied with Esmerelda at Van Richtens tower, and sent her back to Vallaki to check on the pair. Later in the session they were in Vallaki looking for an article of clothing, but never bothered to check on the two NPCS. So Yeah with what was posted above by Mercule. Clearly they're not interested in that plotline. (also note that I screwed up the quoting thing)

G

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
From Mercule -When you get down to brass tacks, I've always taken the way the party deals with Ireena as an indicator of how interested they are in dealing with the "damsel in distress" motif. Sometimes, they just want to deal with the vampire. No sense in forcing Ireena on them.

We played this Campaign last night. The PCs allied with Esmerelda at Van Richtens tower, and sent her back to Vallaki to check on the pair. Later in the session they were in Vallaki looking for an article of clothing, but never bothered to check on the two NPCS. So Yeah with what was posted above by Mercule. Clearly they're not interested in that plotline. (also note that I screwed up the quoting thing)

G

Since that was the case that they were not overly interested in helping Ireena and Ismark, I wouldn’t hesitate to have Strahd turn one or both of them and have them become enemies of the PCs. It’ll add a degree of consequence to their actions, which seems like it may be useful.

Gwaihir

Explorer
The PCs are on there way to Dinner with the big guy via courtesy carriage. Its my intention to have Mr. Strahd announce his upcoming marriage to his beloved Ireena at that dinner.

G

evilbob

Explorer
It really depends. Some DMs run games so that any "off-screen" NPC is basically a target at any given moment. This can be tense, but it can also be tedious. Sometimes it gets frustrating because you feel like you have to keep everyone plot-important in your field of vision at all times or else you will suffer at the hands at the plot. Because I've experienced this quite a lot, I tend to be a lot more forgiving on this end.

In some ways it depends on how long the party takes to get back there. If they leave for several weeks... well, they're probably toast. If they are gone for a day or two, maybe when they get back Irena talks more about the nightly visits and such, and is a little more active in asking for their help. It's not really written in the adventure what would happen, so it's pretty much up to you. My group has definitely adopted the "never let her out of arm's reach" approach, though. :)

Remove ads