D&D 5E Xanathar's Elven Accuracy

5ekyu

Hero
Just my nickle's worth.

As GM i have final say what is an isnt allowed. Final but not only as players are involved too.

As GM i have ZERO problem altering RAW for the campaign even outlawing combos but i will try to let folks know wsy ahead of time.

But, i do not cobflate role playing and power gaming as if they are opposites or excuses. I wont ban a build for one player but allow it for another simply because one player wrote a few paragraphs of storytime.

When asked have i seen an optimized character with no name tried - yes. But more often than that i have seen the no name character being a flat class half way done. A fighter-6 with no name is not better or worse as far as allowed or whatever than a fighter-3/samurai-2\rogue-1 or whatever number of classes hits the gms annoyed threshold.

The mechanics, permissions and rules should not be different for those with better narration skills.

All this IMO and IMG, of course.

But i would rather fix problem combos so anybody can use them than only allow them to authors.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

mellored

Legend
The idea is to use the bow to crit fish for eldritch smites, otherwise yeah, eldritch blast eventually outpaces the pact weapon every time.
You sure?

Level 13, half-elf Shadow of moil for advantage.
18 Cha, crossbow expertise, sharpshooter, elven accuracy, thirsting blade, life drinker, and improved pact weapon, starting fight 1 for archery style.

3d6+12Cha+3 improved pact weapon + 30 sharp shooter = 55.5
60% with Cha +5% improved pact weapon + 10% archery style - 25% sharpshooter * advantage =
50% * tripple advantage = 87.5%
= 48.5625 DPR.

Level 13 half-elf, Shadow of moil for advantage.
20 Cha, elven accuracy, agonizing blast. Shadow of moil for advantage.
3d10+15 =31.5
65% cha * tripple advantage = 95.7125%
= 30.1494375 DPR.

Hexarcher does 62% more damage, ignores cover, can shoot in melee, and has an extra 20' range, Con saves, and 21.5 more HP (including second wind).
Though at the cost of a feat, 2 invocations, 2 AC (EB can hold a shield), and a level 7 spell.

That's a heavy trade off for heavy damage, but i'd say hexarcher wins.

Level 18 hexarcher, with foresight and elemental weapon.
3d6+15Cha+3 improved pact weapon + 30sharp shooter +3d4 EW= 66
65% cha + 5% imrpoved +10% archery +10% EW - 25% = 65% (same as EB)
= 63.17025 DPR.

Level 18 EB, with foresight and hex.
4d10+20+4d6 =56 * 95.7125%
= 53.599 damage

Hexarcher still does 17% more damage. Though the cost went up, to include another feat and more spell slots (since hex last 24 hours).

I'd put EB as the victor here. Too much cost for hexarcher. Though it's fun to see that you could completly make up the -5 to-hit.

Nick Hatfield

First Post
Just my nickle's worth.

As GM i have final say what is an isnt allowed. Final but not only as players are involved too.

As GM i have ZERO problem altering RAW for the campaign even outlawing combos but i will try to let folks know wsy ahead of time.

It's refreshing to see this. Too often online I read posts from DMs who think that they are dictators instead of just one player in the group. People who will kill off other's characters just because someone broke an unwritten rule of theirs, or did something that didn't fit in "their game". Thankfully I've avoided ever being in a campaign that was just there so the DM could railroad us through the story they wanted to tell. The best time to lay down the groundrules of a campaign is before it starts; preferably with input from everyone on what they would like. The second best time is ASAP after that. I know some people who had rules changed in the middle of the campaign and the DM didn't let them change the choices in their character build, instead they just had to live with it. I'm sorry, but if I take the Bearbarian path I expect it to do what is says on the tin, and if you change the way it works after the fact I expect to be allowed to choose a different option.

But, i do not cobflate role playing and power gaming as if they are opposites or excuses. I wont ban a build for one player but allow it for another simply because one player wrote a few paragraphs of storytime.

When asked have i seen an optimized character with no name tried - yes. But more often than that i have seen the no name character being a flat class half way done. A fighter-6 with no name is not better or worse as far as allowed or whatever than a fighter-3/samurai-2\rogue-1 or whatever number of classes hits the gms annoyed threshold.

The mechanics, permissions and rules should not be different for those with better narration skills.

All this IMO and IMG, of course.

But i would rather fix problem combos so anybody can use them than only allow them to authors.

This is another great point. You either allow a Paladin/Rouge in your group or you don't. Don't tell your players that they have to "do the funny accents, write 3 pages of backstory, reflect on your conflicting morals, and visit the church in each town asking for forgiveness for being a dirty thief."

EvanNave55

Explorer
One quick question though, how did you get cha that high with all those feats?

Edit: even with a slightly lower cha I expect the bow would still come out ahead with all that, it's just that cha looked to be about one bump too high.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

mellored

Legend
One quick question though, how did you get cha that high with all those feats?

Edit: even with a slightly lower cha I expect the bow would still come out ahead with all that, it's just that cha looked to be about one bump too high.

hexarcher
15 point buy + 2 half-elf =17
Level 4: Crossbow expertise.
Level 8: elven archery (+1 cha) = 18.
Level 12: Sharpshooter
Level 16: +2 Cha = 20.

Eldrich blast
15 point buy + 2 half-elf =17
Level 4: elven archery (+1 Cha) = 18.
Level 8: +2 Cha = 20
Level 12: 1st free feat (possibly inspiring leader)
Level 16: 2nd free feat (possibly resilient Con).

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6802951]Cap'n Kobold[/MENTION] Funny that you mention it, the halfelven fighter is in fact a fashion dandy, he has high cha and is dexbased, a bit like 3 musceteers or Johnny depp in pirates of the caribean. And the swashbuckler is mainly a mariner, he often uses the swashbuckler thing which allows him backstab all the time he is alone with a target.The Pally in the meantime is very classical, there is a lot of nice rp interparty banter some times, so there is also much fun for me to dm this. But no way the Pally would turn into a dandy suddenly no way ever :p

[MENTION=6802951]Cap'n Kobold[/MENTION] Funny that you mention it, the halfelven fighter is in fact a fashion dandy, he has high cha and is dexbased, a bit like 3 musceteers or Johnny depp in pirates of the caribean. And the swashbuckler is mainly a mariner, he often uses the swashbuckler thing which allows him backstab all the time he is alone with a target.The Pally in the meantime is very classical, there is a lot of nice rp interparty banter some times, so there is also much fun for me to dm this. But no way the Pally would turn into a dandy suddenly no way ever :p
So why characterise Rogues as having to steal from people, or Fighters having to be common oafs when considering Paladin multiclassing?
A bounty hunter Rogue would make an interesting mix with a vengeance Paladin. A knight who takes holy vows, or a peasant warrior who swears an oath to defend the weak so pure that even the heavens take notice are just two examples of Fighters multiclassing with Paladin the wouldn't fall into that category.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6802951]Cap'n Kobold[/MENTION] You are right i did exagerate a bit in my example, propably mainly i want to criticize the multiclassing simply built for some game mechanics gimmic coming into effect, e.g. Pally able to Nova + gets a sneak attack or whatever that build was.

A Pally in my Point of view is something Special. In the 2nd ed i remember it was stated in some official book, that a Paladin is a 1 in 100. Means on every PC Paladin there are 99 other PC. That was reinforced with the Minimum required stats for Pallys back then, which were very hard to roll with certain roling methods.

A different Paladin like todays 5E variations still should still be something Special, in so far that he takes an oath on something and is devoted to a higher goal than mundane wealth or whatever other funs.

That means a personality, someone who would not easily stray from a given path. Means purely rp - wise a Paladin should be a class which is among the least used for multiclass.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Can I not play a fighter that upholds just as much of an oath as a paladin?

[MENTION=6802951]Cap'n Kobold[/MENTION] You are right i did exagerate a bit in my example, propably mainly i want to criticize the multiclassing simply built for some game mechanics gimmic coming into effect, e.g. Pally able to Nova + gets a sneak attack or whatever that build was.

A Pally in my Point of view is something Special. In the 2nd ed i remember it was stated in some official book, that a Paladin is a 1 in 100. Means on every PC Paladin there are 99 other PC. That was reinforced with the Minimum required stats for Pallys back then, which were very hard to roll with certain roling methods.

A different Paladin like todays 5E variations still should still be something Special, in so far that he takes an oath on something and is devoted to a higher goal than mundane wealth or whatever other funs.

That means a personality, someone who would not easily stray from a given path. Means purely rp - wise a Paladin should be a class which is among the least used for multiclass.

Remove ads