D&D 5E Xanathar's Elven Accuracy

Harrumphreys

First Post
In fact, a good chance for CRITS doubling Eldritch Smite damage dice means that this Hexblade/Elven Accuracy/Great Weapon Master build is quite scary!

mikal768

Explorer
In fact, a good chance for CRITS doubling Eldritch Smite damage dice means that this Hexblade/Elven Accuracy/Great Weapon Master build is quite scary!

Of course the thing to remember is that you'll only be getting one smite off this way with a single classed Warlock since the other one is used to generate Advantage. Though you could MC into Paladin and use Paladin Smites as well for extra damage or to cast Darkness. Shadow of Moil comes in too late for a Paladin to cast it.

Harrumphreys

First Post
You can use Eldritch Smite with a Improved Pact Weapon to smite with a bow attack.

Attacking twice with Thirsting Blade. Hrrrm, the Hexblade doesn’t need Eldritch Blast to administer damage at range; the Longbow shots already add the Warlock’s CHA damage, freeing up an Invocation slot that would otherwise usually be spent on Agonising Blast. I suppose this lessens the ‘tax’ on having to invest in certain other Invocations to maximise Hexblade.

EvanNave55

Explorer
Attacking twice with Thirsting Blade. Hrrrm, the Hexblade doesn’t need Eldritch Blast to administer damage at range; the Longbow shots already add the Warlock’s CHA damage, freeing up an Invocation slot that would otherwise usually be spent on Agonising Blast. I suppose this lessens the ‘tax’ on having to invest in certain other Invocations to maximise Hexblade.
Though if you rely on bow attacks rather than eldritch blast you max out at 2 attacks rather than four so your damage will be lowered. It works, just something to keep in mind that it isn't as ... Capable? Efficient? Neither of those are quite right, and the word escapes me, but basically a warlock could use a bow to replace eldritch blast though the bow won't have an output on par with eldritch blast.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

Zmajdusa

First Post
The idea is to use the bow to crit fish for eldritch smites, otherwise yeah, eldritch blast eventually outpaces the pact weapon every time.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The idea is to use the bow to crit fish for eldritch smites, otherwise yeah, eldritch blast eventually outpaces the pact weapon every time.

It only significantly outpaces it at level 17+ and that's assuming you don't even get a +1 magic longbow in your career or any of the other items that help archery. I don't assume magic items, but it's worth noting that there are a lot more things that affect bows than eldritch blast.

You have to sometimes. Haven't you ever been at a table where a player shows up with a mathematically optimized PC that they didn't have a name for yet? Or the dwarf fighter who took Mariner fighting style because its better than defensive for some builds yet cant explain the boat or water they were on or where they learned that style? Or have a player after the DM declares a player missed an attack "I know that roll hits I know the monsters AC from the monsters manual." Another poster in Enworld had to take the players phones away because they will looking up monster stats on apps at the table.

It sounds like I am cracking the whip, but if 5-10 minutes it takes to make up something to ground the PC in is too much to ask, well ....
A player that tells me they know that roll hits after I say it misses is GUARANTEED to have to make a new character that day. There is zero chance they survive the session.

Sent from my SM-T820 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads