D&D 5E Xanathar's Elven Accuracy

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm happy they fixed many of the biggest offenders with the Elven accuracy feat by allowing it to work with almost every type of attack except strength attacks.

So far I've found 3 very good uses for the feat I like now.

1. Open Fist Monk with Elven Accuracy. All your attacks are dex attacks and you anytime you flurry you can prone with a dex save (assuming one of the attacks hit). At level 5 you would really come online with super advantage on many attacks.

2. Warlock + Darkness trick using either eldritch blast or weapon attacks.

3. A paladin X / rogue 1 / champion 3 for crit fishing. DualWield for a bonus action attack and attempt to prone with it. Rogue gives an extra damage dice and athletics expertise for the prone attempt. Paladin gives smites that can be saved to be used on a crit.

Also consider, it's still a solid feat choice for classes that can gain advantage in certain circumstances, rogue assassain, arcane trickster, certain clerics, samurai ability, battlemaster prone ability, gloomstalker ranger, the new magic weapon generating spell (Shadow Blade).

Also, in the right parties it could be an absolutely devastating feat choice. In parties that already grant a lot of advantage.

Did I forget any other good pairings?

Are any of the pairing I called out exceptionally good and better than the others?

Last edited:

EvanNave55

Explorer
Also consider, it's still a solid feat choice for classes that can gain advantage in certain circumstances, rogue assassain, arcane trickster, certain clerics, samurai ability, battlemaster prone ability, gloomstalker ranger, the new magic weapon generating spell (forget the name).

Do you mean Shadow Blade? 2nd level spell makes a blade of shadow and among other benefits you have advantage to attack with it in dim light or darkness.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Well, it's not that big of a bonus.

But it comes with +1 ability boost so the feat is fine.

Advantage 2d20-drop lowest gives 13,82 average over 10,50 of 1d20. A 3,32 bonus.

Elven accuracy(improved advantage), basicaly 3d20 drop 2 lowest, gives; 15,49 average. 1,67 bonus over advantage.

That is +1,67 bonus to attack if and when you have advantage.

FrogReaver

Well, it's not that big of a bonus.

But it comes with +1 ability boost so the feat is fine.

Advantage 2d20-drop lowest gives 13,82 average over 10,50 of 1d20. A 3,32 bonus.

Elven accuracy(improved advantage), basicaly 3d20 drop 2 lowest, gives; 15,49 average. 1,67 bonus over advantage.

That is +1,67 bonus to attack if and when you have advantage.

At 50% chance to hit advantage is like a +5. At 40% and 60% chance to hit it's just a little worse than +5 to hit. At 30% and 70% chance to hit it's a little better than +4. At 20% and 80% it's a little better than +3. At 10% and 90% it's a little worse than +2 to hit but still better than +1.67 to hit.

So I call shenanigans. Apparently your average dice roll differences doesn't tell you the average to hit differences. Knowing what you are computing is important...

Horwath

Legend
At 50% chance to hit advantage is like a +5. At 40% and 60% chance to hit it's just a little worse than +5 to hit. At 30% and 70% chance to hit it's a little better than +4. At 20% and 80% it's a little better than +3. At 10% and 90% it's a little worse than +2 to hit but still better than +1.67 to hit.

So I call shenanigans. Apparently your average dice roll differences doesn't tell you the average to hit differences. Knowing what you are computing is important...

I'm talking about overall chance from needing 20 to needing 1 to hit.

Also +1,67 is bonus of elven accuracy over already present advantage.

Advantage alone gives average +3,32 bonus over normal d20 roll.

elven accuracy gives total +5 bonus over normal 1d20 roll.

Coroc

Hero
I'm happy they fixed many of the biggest offenders with the Elven accuracy feat by allowing it to work with almost every type of attack except strength attacks.

So far I've found 3 very good uses for the feat I like now.

1. Open Fist Monk with Elven Accuracy. All your attacks are dex attacks and you anytime you flurry you can prone with a dex save (assuming one of the attacks hit). At level 5 you would really come online with super advantage on many attacks.

2. Warlock + Darkness trick using either eldritch blast or weapon attacks.

3. A paladin X / rogue 1 / champion 3 for crit fishing. DualWield for a bonus action attack and attempt to prone with it. Rogue gives an extra damage dice and athletics expertise for the prone attempt. Paladin gives smites that can be saved to be used on a crit.

Also consider, it's still a solid feat choice for classes that can gain advantage in certain circumstances, rogue assassain, arcane trickster, certain clerics, samurai ability, battlemaster prone ability, gloomstalker ranger, the new magic weapon generating spell (Shadow Blade).

Also, in the right parties it could be an absolutely devastating feat choice. In parties that already grant a lot of advantage.

Did I forget any other good pairings?

Are any of the pairing I called out exceptionally good and better than the others?

Of those builds I only would allow 1. at my table eventually 2. cannot analyse at the moment, the third is for my personal taste an absolute munchkin build.

If a pala at my table decides to take rogue as a second class he is in for a check whether he has fallen and lost all his pally powers. Same goes to change to a fighter fighter.

A pally strives to be pure and devoted, it is imho pure minmax powergaming to multiclass a paladin for any other than highly plot/rp justified reasons.

FrogReaver

I'm talking about overall chance from needing 20 to needing 1 to hit.

Also +1,67 is bonus of elven accuracy over already present advantage.

Advantage alone gives average +3,32 bonus over normal d20 roll.

elven accuracy gives total +5 bonus over normal 1d20 roll.

Wrong advantage gives closer to +4 or +4.5 Eleven accuracy should give closer to +2 or maybe + 2.5 on top of that. Your numbers are low. You cannot simply look at the difference in average dice outcomes and divine anything other than the difference of the average dice roll UNLESS you assume an equal distribution for all ACs/chance to hit values which in 5e is actually a terrible assumption. In 5e the more extreme the AC the less likely you are to encounter it as there just are very few enemies with those extreme AC's. In other words the majority of what you fight will usually fall between 30% to 70% chance to hit (the -5 +10 feats change this). Your number doesn't account for this.

FrogReaver

Also something that hasn't been mentioned is that eleven accuracy greatly increases your chance of a critical strike which for paladins and rogues can also greatly increase damage.

FrogReaver

Of those builds I only would allow 1. at my table eventually 2. cannot analyse at the moment, the third is for my personal taste an absolute munchkin build.

If a pala at my table decides to take rogue as a second class he is in for a check whether he has fallen and lost all his pally powers. Same goes to change to a fighter fighter.

A pally strives to be pure and devoted, it is imho pure minmax powergaming to multiclass a paladin for any other than highly plot/rp justified reasons.

play how you want. But IMO. That's terrible. It at least takes some sting away if you tell me up front. But it's still terrible. I'm also sure you are in the extreme minority there so at least there's that to keep me smiling.

Remove ads