D&D 5E Statting up a new 5e character, Paladin/Sorcerer, needs some help fleshing it out

Ahoy! This is a new character for a campaign I'm joining. They had a member drop out, so I'm filling in the new opening. The party is currently 6th level. I really love Final Fantasy jack of all trades Red Mage types, and this seemed like a pretty interesting and effective way to build a gish. I have to warn, I'm super new to 5e, having only played a single session about 6 months ago, so my understanding of a lot of the rules may be off, and I might not know all the options available to me.

I know it might not be optimal, but I think I want to go Half-Elf and use a Rapier. Pump dex, and bite the bullet with a 13 str. I think my point buy might look something like:

Str: 13
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 9
Wis: 8
Cha: 16

This is without an ability score increase. It looks...I'm not sure. Wrong somehow. I feel a little weird dumping Wis and Int like that, especially since I don't consider her especially stupid in my mind, but I guess them's the breaks because of the bizarre multiclassing stat rules.

I'll be starting at Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6. I'm having some trouble picking which Sorcerer type to go with, and Metamagic. Quicken Spell is a given because of action economy, but the other I don't really know just yet. I'm more concerned with Sorcerer type. I imagine Dragon is the best choice for AC, but Phoenix looks like it gets some pretty neat toys. I really wish there were more solid options for lightning and cold types, because Sea Sorcerer looks super interesting, but I can't really see it working long term.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far. I'm looking forward to the feedback and assistance!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Ahoy! This is a new character for a campaign I'm joining. They had a member drop out, so I'm filling in the new opening. The party is currently 6th level. I really love Final Fantasy jack of all trades Red Mage types, and this seemed like a pretty interesting and effective way to build a gish. I have to warn, I'm super new to 5e, having only played a single session about 6 months ago, so my understanding of a lot of the rules may be off, and I might not know all the options available to me.

I know it might not be optimal, but I think I want to go Half-Elf and use a Rapier. Pump dex, and bite the bullet with a 13 str. I think my point buy might look something like:

Str: 13
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 9
Wis: 8
Cha: 16

This is without an ability score increase. It looks...I'm not sure. Wrong somehow. I feel a little weird dumping Wis and Int like that, especially since I don't consider her especially stupid in my mind, but I guess them's the breaks because of the bizarre multiclassing stat rules.

I'll be starting at Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6. I'm having some trouble picking which Sorcerer type to go with, and Metamagic. Quicken Spell is a given because of action economy, but the other I don't really know just yet. I'm more concerned with Sorcerer type. I imagine Dragon is the best choice for AC, but Phoenix looks like it gets some pretty neat toys. I really wish there were more solid options for lightning and cold types, because Sea Sorcerer looks super interesting, but I can't really see it working long term.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far. I'm looking forward to the feedback and assistance!

I'm curious why going paladin 2 if you wanna be a caster? Divine Smite possibly?

Last edited:

Pretty much that. I really love characters that can swing weapons and cast magic, even if they lose some effectiveness with both in the process. Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4 (mistyped it in the original post. Whoops.) seems like a solid start for a 6th level game from what I've read.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I would just suggest being a hexblade from the new xanathar's guide. You get charisma as your attack and damage stat with a melee weapon. There is an option at level 5 to take "eldritch smite" which is very similar to divine smite (but allows you to prone).

You also get medium armor and shields this way. Unless there is some reason you are married to the paladin / sorcerer classes I think this will make a much better gish for you.

Remove ads