D&D 5E Setting Party level vs an Ancient Red Dragon

Stalker0

Legend
Like what? Not being sarcastic here, I honestly can't think of anything.

Calm Emotions is the default fear negator. There are also save buffing spells like beacon of hope or just plain old bless. If the party has time and resources to aim higher, they could pick up a casting of Heroes' Feast for total fear immunity.

Another option is to hug the paladin for that +5 to saves so they can try to knock out the fear. Of course that makes them more vulnerable to the breath weapon, so many not be the best option.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Okay, mr smartypants, give us a better example of a monster that you feel is true to canon as King of the Hill.

(And don't give me simple brutes like giants)

First off....it’s Dr. Smartypants, thank you very much.

Second off, I don’t really know what a “king of the hill” monster is. And why are giants a bad comparison? It sounds like you run dragons and giants identically.

Don’t you see that as a problem?

Then, not everyone thinks the way like you do.

Have a look at
http://themonstersknow.com/dragon-tactics-part-1/
In summary, whites and red stand their ground, fighting. One supremely stupid, the other supremely arrogant. Blacks, greens and blacks, you would have much more of a point.

I know not everyone thinks like me. But I’m not the one hoping for consensus in this matter in order to appeal to WotC for change, am I?

As for your source...meh. It doesn’t mean much. It’s not an example from fiction. It’s an anonymous guy on the internet who’s taken the MM entries and his own views and described the tactics he thinks are suitable. Nothing wrong with some of what he says, but if anything, I’d say his views of how dangerous dragons can be runs counter to yours.

Then, you're misrepresenting what I'm saying. I am definitely not suggesting it shouldn't use what's in the stat block.

I am merely saying it is dead on its feet even when it does. What you're saying is that it also needs to frustrate players by flying out of visual range? That's just a crappy boring tactic.

This is you saying not to use what’s in the stat block. Crappy boring tactic? It’s flight....it’s one of the most effective and game changing tactics there are. Not using this to the dragon’s advantage is like a Barbarian who decides not to use his Rage.

Have you seen what a level-appropriate party can do? (That is, a party perhaps five levels lower than the dragon; don't want you go hide behind "oh, the xp totals make this an easy fight, better give it some allies")

The designers sure don't seem to.

I’ve seen what a party can do, yes. And I know that the monsters are designed with an average party in mind. So for my players, who are all experienced players, I know that some monsters may need to be beefed up. Or that I have to match the players’ tactical ability.

That last part is key. If your players are tactful and have PCs that are optimized and incredibly complimentary to one another in combat, the answer is not to abandon tactics and go toe to toe. That approach makes zero sense. You have to answer with tactics of your own.

And if it was just a single (type of) monster, I would have written it off as a simple mistake.

But 5E is endemically carebearian. Almost no monsters make a challenge for properly played groups. They're laughably easy to shut down, since most of them have nothing but melee attacks (but no way to ensure the delivery of those attacks). Essentially, what you're doing is kiting them, only not simply by running around in a circle.

For single-digit CRs that might be fine, this edition being newbie friendly and all. But for CR 17? Not a chance.

This is fine. I don’t entirely disagree with you in this regard, although I think your assessment is extreme, and I think much of it is easily remedied. But this thread is about how to help the OP...it’s not about your critique of monster design. I suggest you start a thread specifically for that and stop using anything remotely related as a chance to rant about it again. This way when these kinds of conversations come up, you can just post a link to your monster design critique thread and let anyone interested join in that discussion.

So please stop denying the general - and very obvious - weakness of this edition's Monster Manual so we can get constructive!

What would have been constructive would be for you to have offered even one bit of advice to Reynard about his situation.

Coroc

Hero
The only determinating factor here is hitpoints, nothing else. The red dragon has an area attack (breath) which could anihilate the Party no matter what and how many they are if they are all in a pile and to low in their Level. That simply is no fun, not even for a one shot.

Use 12th Level or so at Minimum, but Play the Dragon like it should be, very intelligent. Give it room to use ist flying, that is a gamechanger no Need for additionla legendary Actions then.

Oofta

Legend
Calm Emotions is the default fear negator. There are also save buffing spells like beacon of hope or just plain old bless. If the party has time and resources to aim higher, they could pick up a casting of Heroes' Feast for total fear immunity.

Another option is to hug the paladin for that +5 to saves so they can try to knock out the fear. Of course that makes them more vulnerable to the breath weapon, so many not be the best option.

The heroes feast is probably the best option, I had forgotten about it eliminating fear. It's a 6th level spell so you need an 11th level cleric to cast it. Good thing it's expensive and for some reason my group hates spending money on things like that. Beacon of Hope, Bless, Calm Emotions all bunch you up a bit and are concentration spells. Aura of Courage (no fear) for the paladin starts at 10th. It also assumes you have a paladin of course.

But even then, there's little to no reason for the dragon to go toe-to-toe with the group. Breath fire, fly by and smack people around from 10-15 feet away and then keep flying. Most modes of flying available until higher levels can't keep up with a dragon. Especially if the DM gave them a few sorcerer levels (or a wizard buddy) and Haste.

All of this is dependent on the group, preparation and level. If the group has OMG-you-do-how-much-damage-per-round archers, you have to plan it differently than if your group is primarily melee with limited fly options and a wizard that focuses almost exclusively on fire spells. What happens if you only have 1 cleric and no paladin? Or a cleric that has (for whatever reasons) never used Heroes Feast?

With a higher level group, I still wouldn't send a dragon solo without backup or significant buffing/traps, but trying to design a high level encounter without knowing what the group is capable of is nearly impossible. Depending on the goal of the fight, I'd beef up the dragon a bit (I added levels of sorcerer) while adding in some allies. If you really want to strike fear into the hearts of your PCs, throw in an invisible beholder that only uses his anti-magic cone to shut down the shenanigans for a round or two (not that I've done that ... in a dragon fight).

So if you want an epic fight, I'd suggest throwing in allies and capabilities that don't make their presence known until needed. Take advantage of terrain, flight and the dragon's blindsight. Assume the dragon has low-level minions spying on the group, or magical means of detecting them so he knows they're coming. Spies in town that feed him info, etc. Last, but not least, I personally don't see an ancient dragon fighting to the death unless they absolutely have to do so.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Someone did a good analysis in another thread. And what they showed is that assuming the party has good ranged attacks, the fly kiting doesn't work that well. Ranged Weapons have really good range, so its easy for the party to get a round or 2 of shots while the dragon flies around waiting to get its breath back. And with 10 pcs...that's a lot of attacks.

Now I do think the grapple, pick up, and drop strategy has a lot of merit. Effectively your move is generating damage in that case, so moving around has more benefit.

Hehe, I really want to see this fight happen now!

Probably, D&D doesn't do a good job with this kind of fight IME.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
This is you saying not to use what’s in the stat block. Crappy boring tactic? It’s flight....it’s one of the most effective and game changing tactics there are. Not using this to the dragon’s advantage is like a Barbarian who decides not to use his Rage.

Yeah assuming the setup is there for it, a fight in the open, I can't see why a dragon would bother landing until he had roasted the heck out of the party. A fight on a cloudy night, the dragon flies over and breathes then flies off, the party loses sight of him in the clouds, "Oh *****, oh ****, where is he...." Then they hear the sound of his wings flapping as he comes barreling in fast and hard and they begin shooting at him as they see the fire in his throat as the dragon opens its mouth to breathe...

The big issue I found for big bads is the bonus damage dice abilities and crits. Remove sneak attack and Paladin smite crits and things change. My party in my last campaign only fought one dragon, an adult Blue and it was in a cavern and it was wack a mole and not much of a comparison.

Zmajdusa

First Post
Fire is hot, smoke sucks, and doesn't stop breath weapons. Oil lights on fire whenever it takes fire damage. So ask yourself, "How many flasks of oil can a ancient red dragon carry?"

Stalker0

Legend
Now that we know the party and the terrain it focuses the discussion. It’s not the most optimized party for dragon hunting but it’s not bad.

The fighters need to go ranged. Fire shield should be a key spell if possible. Paladin is there to key the cleric up. Mass healing word is your answer to the breath one time, it can bring everyone up who dropped from it...it’s teally the follow up breaths that will get you, so a key luck factor is the recharge.

The crumpled city will be interesting. If it’s open enough in places Party may be able to spread out and limit breath hits, but may give the dragon good cover to avoid ranged attacks.

A big question is whether the party can kill the dragon. They might get it close, but if chooses to fly away can they do enough damage to finish the job?

Bringing some 1st level archery fighters is a good prep idea if it’s allowed. They can spread far enough To not get feared. There mission is to hit the dragon if it flies too high or if it tries to fly off. They might add just enough oomph to finish the dragon if it tries to retreat.

Fest wise sharpshooter is a good one. Inspiring leader Is a key one, those temp hp could make a big difference. Shield master is another, gives the fighter a chance to evade the breath weapon.

Dm wise to make this a true fight you should roll the breath weapons damage. This is a situation where the average roll doesn’t do quite enough to kill party memebers, a low roll doesn’t really change much, but a high roll could kill them. So for a true challenge go for the roll.

Hehe I really want to run this scenario now, very keen to see how it turns out. I think the party can do it, but luck and tactics will be key deciders

Last edited:

The worst situation is facing the dragon in the open with no cover, doubly so if it counts as their lair. There is no reason it would descend into melee to attack anyone, and use its' breath & reach weapons (tail, wing buffet) unless goaded to do so. That CAN happen but be aware once it gets into melee distance there are lots of things that can mire it there - Sentinel, Monk Stun, etc. If you do this only stick around for a round then move off if you can.

Set a hp threshold at which the dragon will break off. They're not into suicide, regardless of how overconfident or feral they may seem. Dragons don't live to be Adult++ without knowing when to cut and run.

Remove ads