New Ready Player One trialer

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's not even a narrative. It's a couple of lines in a trailer, and trailers always lie.
Trailers lie sometimes. Most of the time they just don't cover everything. Rarely, they outright include scenes that aren't even in the movie or have the opposite context of what they appear to have.

It's pretty reasonable to assume that multiple scenes in a trailer focused on a narrative (and yes, it's a narrative) mean that the movie will include that narrative as at least an important part of the plot, if not necessarily the focus of the movie.

Right, because introducing the audience to a new concept through the medium of a character experiencing it for the first time is such a weird thing for a movie to do.
Where did I say that such a thing is weird? Feel free to quote me, and explain how you came to your conclusion from reading the quoted text.

Spoiler alert: I didn't. What I did say is that it is a weird change. Because it is. Introducing the audience to a new concept through the eyes of someone already familiar with it is also quite common, quite effective, and the tact used in the book the movie is based on.

In English? We’re not on Facebook.

Here i thought as the total 80s nostalgia target you would have known or realized that BTTF is short hand for Back To The Future from the car to the theme getting played, hence the all over the place, and if it's decked out the same way as the book, we'll get the red light from Knight Rider along with The Ghostbusters logo.

Trailers lie sometimes. Most of the time they just don't cover everything. Rarely, they outright include scenes that aren't even in the movie or have the opposite context of what they appear to have.

Actually it's become a trope for Trailers to lie, to move bits around out of context and so forth http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverTrustATrailer

Janx

Hero
I think the references in the movie are more “video games” than the “80s pop culture” of the book. Which means I won’t get any of them.

I saw the Akira motorcycle.

It all moved pretty fast, but I bet there's stuff you know hiding in there.

I'll miss some, too. I don't know Overwatch for instance.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Actually it's become a trope for Trailers to lie, to move bits around out of context and so forth http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverTrustATrailer

I didn't say it isn't a thing that happens. I said it's something that happens sometimes, and generally not an actual flat out lie. There is a scene in the Last Jedi trailer that suggest that Rey might end the movie teamed up with Kylo Ren, for instance. That could be something that happens, or it could be a false implication to throw us off. (any early viewers please don't spoil it, I've got tickets for thursday night) Neither would be as much a lie as having half the trailer imply that a major plot point in a rebellion arc (where in the book it's mostly running from/staying a step ahead of), and then having that story just...not be in the movie at all.

I saw the Akira motorcycle.

It all moved pretty fast, but I bet there's stuff you know hiding in there.

I'll miss some, too. I don't know Overwatch for instance.

I updated the list with one, I didn't know madballs.....

EDIT:
I didn't say it isn't a thing that happens. I said it's something that happens sometimes, l.
You said rarely, whereas I was just pointing out that it happens too often to be called rarely.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
MadballsRelaunch.jpg part of the 'gross' toys trend these were balls with monster faces. They managed to get a Marvel comics run and an animated series

Nice to see them showing more of the plot. I didn't feel that the 'Jump' soundtrack did the trailer any favours, but I loved that little 'twinkle' of Back To The Future theme at the end.

Yeah, the use of Rush in the teaser trailer was much better executed, and more thematically appropriate to the source material.

Remove ads