D&D 4E Exercise : Building an AD&D Ranger with 4e

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My conclusions well yes indeed these can be done rather well... and with considerable flexibility wrt the details.

However for the Paladin - The only thing I do not like currently is how heavy of investment in Cleric is seems necessary(Hybrid) to get Turn Undead - perhaps a simple multi-class feet that would enable that might be appropriate to add to the game.

darkbard

Legend
However for the Paladin - The only thing I do not like currently is how heavy of investment in Cleric is seems necessary(Hybrid) to get Turn Undead - perhaps a simple multi-class feet that would enable that might be appropriate to add to the game.

I'm not here to suggest how you should feel about this, but why does it bother you? Archetypically, what is a Paladin but a holy warrior? And what distinguishes the Paladin from the Fighter or Cleric in game terms (traditionally) has been its ability to serve both roles. Hybrid seems a perfectly suited mechanic to fit this type.

Also, while at first level Hybrid does seem a heavy investment for a character build, by late heroic it's barely noticeable as a deviation from the "primary" class if that's how one so chooses to build: a single at-will (when most characters will only make real use of one of their at-wills anyway), encounter, daily, and utility from the secondary class out of 2/3/3/2 (at, say, 9th level), not counting any theme or feat powers, doesn't seem particularly burdensome to me, especially when those powers are directed towards the precise abilities one is trying to replicate for the archetype anyway!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm not here to suggest how you should feel about this, but why does it bother you?
Only a very small amount and only for having one ability so it's not huge... but I will try to explain.
Archetypically, what is a Paladin but a holy warrior? And what distinguishes the Paladin from the Fighter or Cleric in game terms (traditionally) has been its ability to serve both roles. Hybrid seems a perfectly suited mechanic to fit this type.
Well there is also the Blessed Fighter angle he doesnt have his abilities because he is a cleric and cast spells ... he is rather granted his charisms from the divine.

Also, while at first level Hybrid does seem a heavy investment for a character build, by late heroic it's barely noticeable as a deviation from the "primary" class if that's how one so chooses to build: a single at-will (when most characters will only make real use of one of their at-wills anyway), encounter, daily, and utility from the secondary class out of 2/3/3/2 (at, say, 9th level), not counting any theme or feat powers, doesn't seem particularly burdensome to me, especially when those powers are directed towards the precise abilities one is trying to replicate for the archetype anyway!
Mechanically it seems less flexible than saying snag this multiclass feat but yeah in actually using it the result was even at level 1 there were plenty of abilities from the Cleric that were also paladin feel without being over wisdom demanding and equipped with scale armor and full blade... that doesnt leave much at all of the mace and chain super healing bot in the picture ;)

Remove ads