D&D 5E [poll] How much does party class composition impact your choice on class?

How much does party class choices impact your choice on what to play

• A lot. I make my choice based on what others are playing

Votes: 41 27.7%
  • Only a little. I might have a couple options in mind, and choose one based on the needs

Votes: 94 63.5%
  • not at all. I play what I want, regardless of what anyone else is playing

Votes: 13 8.8%

ccs

41st lv DM
Mostly #3.

You can trust me to make an entertaining & memorable character that'll fit the world & type of adventures we're aiming to play.
But beyond that? I'll play whatever I'm in the mood to.
I will NOT make characters to fill some missing role in the party. Why should I? Afterall, if anyone was concerned that we'd be missing an ______? They could've rolled one up. But they didnt.
So don't look to me to limit my choices.
This has been my position since 1e and it's not going to change.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I haven't been able to play in too many games but I chose my class based on the following:

Game 1. Chose wizard (bladesinger) because I wanted to play a bladesinger.
Game 2. Cleric (life) I was trying out DnD Beyond and out of the classes I wanted to play (wizard, warrior, cleric), the game was already fairly heavy on the arcane caster side (a wizard, a warlock, and an artificer). I chose cleric for an additional melee character and for some healing.
Game 3. I chose to play the wizard that I didn't get to play in game 2. I would have gone with my halfling fighter but I felt that the group already had plenty of melee

Croesus

Adventurer
When I'm not GM'ing, I'm always the last to pick my class.

I'm a big support player so I'm usually the Bard, the Cleric, or the Wizard with a focus on Crowd Control or Buffing.

I'm the same. I usually GM, so I'm just happy to play a character and generally don't care what class.

That said, I have a concept for a rogue based on Fusco (from Person of Interest) that I really would like to play. Unfortunately, everyone else likes playing rogues, so we always have at least one in the party. I guess I'll just have to make him an NPC in my next campaign.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I try not to play the same class as someone else, unless we are going for fairly different builds/subclasses.

G

Guest 6801328

Over Thanksgiving I was at the in-laws and found an FLGS for an AL game. As we were getting started I asked around, "Who's playing what?" One guy gave me a patronizing, "Don't worry about what others are playing...play what you want."

WTF?!?!

Maybe what I *want* to play is something that complements the party? Maybe I just don't want to play a class that somebody else is playing?

I don't know why it annoyed me so much, but it did.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Over Thanksgiving I was at the in-laws and found an FLGS for an AL game. As we were getting started I asked around, "Who's playing what?" One guy gave me a patronizing, "Don't worry about what others are playing...play what you want."

WTF?!?!

Maybe what I *want* to play is something that complements the party? Maybe I just don't want to play a class that somebody else is playing?

This is what I want!

I'm frustrated just hearing this story.

Lehrbuch

First Post
Do you choose your class based on the party/team dynamic, or do you play what you want to play regardless of what anyone else is playing?

We make up the party as a group of players. So, we are choosing PCs as a group.

However, we are not usually focused on what class specific PCs are, or even whether or not particular classes are present in the party. We are usually focused on a rationale for why these PCs are together as a party and what exactly they are trying to do.

So, we might be saying things in character generation like: "We are a military unit, so everyone is a Fighter, except for a combat focused Wizard/Warlock." or "We are the sole survivors of the razing of an elven fortress, so we are all elves." etc.

Wiseblood

Adventurer

WTF?!?!

I ask that so others do not have to play in MY shadow. Humble humble

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Basic question. When you are creating a new PC for an adventure or campaign, how much does the class composition of the rest of the PCs matter? Like that old saying about AD&D, "No one plays a cleric unless there isn't a cleric in the party."

Do you choose your class based on the party/team dynamic, or do you play what you want to play regardless of what anyone else is playing?

I don't let a simple case of overlap stop me from playing a class, though I will avoid playing the same subclass, generally.

Remove ads