D&D 5E [poll] How much does party class composition impact your choice on class?

How much does party class choices impact your choice on what to play

• A lot. I make my choice based on what others are playing

Votes: 41 27.7%
  • Only a little. I might have a couple options in mind, and choose one based on the needs

Votes: 94 63.5%
  • not at all. I play what I want, regardless of what anyone else is playing

Votes: 13 8.8%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
We have several players who lean towards "what does the party need", so I tend to pick something early on to get the party over the analysis hump. If I'm coming in late to a party, I tend to look for obvious holes and pick towards those.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Only a little as I enjoy playing "support" classes such as Bard and Cleric. Typically, in most groups I've played in, those are the two that seem to always be available.

sunrisekid

Explorer
I always have a character concept in mind ahead of time, and play that. However, I usually DM games so when I do play it's a bit of a special occasion for me. That said, while DM'ing I try to adjust the game story to cater to the characters at the table.

Phototoxin

Explorer
To an extent, I find that in the last few years our group tends to be less 'turn up with a character' and more 'lets be more collaborative as a group'
I think that it stems from getting to know each other better and our development as players/GM. A lot depends on the game too - sometimes the DM might say 'its based in the wilderness so a character like a barbarian, druid or ranger would be good' and sometimes we can just do what we want because we'll be dropped into the adventure 'in situ'.

Afrodactyl

First Post
I typically have three or four vague ideas knocking about when we start gaming. I then start fleshing them out and then decide which one the group needs the most.

sydbar

Explorer
I tend to play whatever hole the party has most of the time, but i do occasionally have a specific character idea i want to play and i will play it! One large 3.5 group had a bunch of high power characters, so i played an aquatic halfling monk with a staff-flute that was specialized to be able to fight blind(based on Kord from the movie "Circle of Iron")

CTurbo

Explorer
I usually take into consideration what the party needs, but I won't let it completely dictate what I play. I do like to make my character last when necessary.

I joined a group one time that was composed of all Dex based characters so I rolled up a Str character. Was having an all Dex group a "weakness"? No not at all, but being the only Str character has it's perks. Ok guys, who wants this +2 Great Sword? Nobody? Well I guess I'll take it then :)

I played in another campaign that consisted of a Cleric, Druid, Monk, Ranger, and Fighter so I rolled up a high Charisma character.

I played in a group with two Life Clerics. That was.... interesting to say the least.

The last group I DMed chose classes that complimented each other, but they all chose monster races.

And finally, last year I played in a campaign where the DM absolutely insisted that there would be a Cleric and a Rogue in the group. He didn't care about what other classes were chosen as long as there was at least one Cleric and one Rogue. Weird.

Remove ads