Interest Check, TSR Marvel Super Heroes!

Talliw

Explorer
So a year of Marvel Unlimited has inspired me to run, if interest merits a FASERIP supers game.

Here’s my pitch with the particulars:

1. I’m shooting for post holidays when life quiets down; ETA January 1.

2. I’m weird in that I prefer the original boxed 1984 ruleset. The first “Basic” set. The image of that game’s campaign book is in this post.

3. I like point buys but don’t want identical power levels or complete random chargen. Characters are created via a point buy system. Long story short players have 1d6+1 x100 points to spend on abilities, powers, resources, and talents.

Powers and abilities are purchased on a one to one basis. Powers with * are double cost. Talents cost 5 points, talents with * cost 10.

The Magic ability must be “purchased” it costs as much as twice your Psyche rank. No other powers may be combined with the Magic power.

No power or ability may exceed Unearthly.

4. I’m toying with ideas for a setting. Any idea would be in a version of a Marvel flavored universe. My current thoughts are-

A. A superhero game set in the Hellenistic period. Characters fight evil Carthaginians, Egyptian sorcerers, mythic beasts, and gods.

B. A Golden Age WW2 era, Nazi punching game

C. A Silver age game circa 1961 where players enter at the formation of the MU.

D. A Bronze era game set in NYC in 1984, the time of when the game was published.

E. A Grimdark game, where characters are resistance type heroes in a world conquered by aliens/villains/Nazis. Alternate time line/ Days of Future past type stuff.

F. Cosmic Marvel! Think Guardians of the Galaxy, alien empires, Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer, Tales of Asgard.

5. Finally I’d love 3-5 players who can post daily.

Let me know! And Thanks!

5f2fb6e3d9381efef4c41195a29c58f5.jpg

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I like supers games, but I don't have access to the rules.

I'll keep an eye on the game regardless. Seems like it should be a fun read. :)

tglassy

Adventurer
I think I’d like to try. I vote the Hellenistic age. The days of myth and legend! What if the old Gods were just people who gained superpowers?!

Second vote would be either Grimdark or Cosmic.

But I, too, am not familiar with the rules. I’ll have to look them over.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm! Thanks for the links. I'll give it a look over. There's a long list of alternate rules just from my cursory glance. Are any of them in use for this game?

As for setting, I'm pretty open. I tend to prefer modern or futuristic, but not by much. I'm good for whatever. :)

I like the point buy idea but isn't 1d6+1 x100 an awfully wide spread of abilities someone will end up with 200 pts and someone will end up with 700 pts. Maybe (5d3 - 1) x50 which is also 200 to 700 but less likely to result in a wide range of ability between the players.

Oh, and I like silver or bronze age comics.

Talliw

Explorer
I like the point buy idea but isn't 1d6+1 x100 an awfully wide spread of abilities someone will end up with 200 pts and someone will end up with 700 pts. Maybe (5d3 - 1) x50 which is also 200 to 700 but less likely to result in a wide range of ability between the players.

Oh, and I like silver or bronze age comics.

Hmmm...this method does give the results more of a bell curve. Good idea.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Lets see how this goes then.

[roll0]

Dang, 600 points. Now...what to do with it. To the website!

*spinny scene transition*

Egad. I could use some help. There's a lot of different books to look at here. A lot. Can you point me to the one I need to make a character for this game? Also, I rolled for some points, but a look at character generation makes it seem like there's a lot of random rolls to make here. Origin and power type and so on. Is that being selected or rolled for or do they cost points or...

Help? :)

...okay, I think I'm starting to get it. There's a table showing how many points in something equate to what rank...which means that we can buy those points on a 1 to 1 basis and that defines what rank that something is. So an attribute or power that has 20 points in it is Excellent (unless it's one of the ones that are more expensive).

Sorry. They sort of arranged the book in a way that didn't make sense to me...all the nitty gritty of character design is waaaaaaaaaay at the end. :)

Last edited:

Talliw

Explorer
Lets see how this goes then.

[roll0]

Dang, 600 points. Now...what to do with it. To the website!

*spinny scene transition*

Egad. I could use some help. There's a lot of different books to look at here. A lot. Can you point me to the one I need to make a character for this game? Also, I rolled for some points, but a look at character generation makes it seem like there's a lot of random rolls to make here. Origin and power type and so on. Is that being selected or rolled for or do they cost points or...

Help? :)

...okay, I think I'm starting to get it. There's a table showing how many points in something equate to what rank...which means that we can buy those points on a 1 to 1 basis and that defines what rank that something is. So an attribute or power that has 20 points in it is Excellent (unless it's one of the ones that are more expensive).

Sorry. They sort of arranged the book in a way that didn't make sense to me...all the nitty gritty of character design is waaaaaaaaaay at the end. :)

The only books we are using are the orange campaign book and the yellow battle book.

As for chargen ignore everything and simply buy ability and powers at their level. I would take time to read this section as many powers are dependent ability level.

Also in this system a Red result is best, white is a failure.

The battle book also gives a great combat example.

But since we have a little time the books are fun to read and the system is pretty light. I may post an example character from my local game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases