Highest Melee Damage at 20th Level (totally, completely, slightly broken)

Isaac Ward

First Post
The build:
2 levels of Grave Cleric (Channel divinity: Path To The Grave)
3 levels of Assassin Rogue (2d6 sneak attack, assassinate feature)
11 levels Battle Master Fighter (3 total attacks, action surge, your pick of damaging maneuver)
4 levels Monk (way of shadows for thematic purposes, ki for flurry of blows)

The assumptions: You have a 20 dex. You have a short sword (not bothering to add magic bonuses to damage). You can surprise the enemy. All of your attacks hit. You can remain unnoticed for one round, plus a round of silent praying.

The damage:
3 attacks from fighters extra attacks with a shortsword, 2 attacks with your massive co... Feet, sneak attack on one of the short swords, then action surge for 3 more attacks. Apply whichever damaging maneuver you'd like, I enjoy goading attack for no particular reason.
6D6 shortsword damage
2D6 sneak attack damage
5D10 maneuver damage
2d4 Co... Feet damage
40 dexterity damage (5 dex mod * 8 attacks)

Average damage (Using the lower half of a die, 5 for a d10, 3 for a d6, 2 for a d4): 18+6+25+4+40=93 damage.

But wait! If you were sneaking, that's a grand ol' assassinate, and they're surprised for the whole round. Crits all around!

Average crit damage: 146 damage

But wait, there's more! Lets just assume you prayed to Anubis, or pun-pun, or whatever death dealing diety you dearly depend upon the round before you attack (and assume channel divinity has no obvious look, besides praying). They now are vulnerable to all that damage.

Average crit damage at church: 292.

I'll be honest, its probably not the highest Wizards Legal damage combo from one round of attacking, but I'll call that a start.

Signed, JustThisCannon.

Last edited:

Patryn13

First Post
Pretty good alpha strike, I didn't check all the math but unfortunately the vulnerability from Grave cleric only lasts for one hit, so you'd only double your first of 8 hits, not all 8 of them.

Driftw00d

First Post
Eldritch Knight 12 War Mage 5 Assassin 3 Dex 20 Using Shadow blade. Dueling Fighting style and action surge

4d8 +7= 23 X 6 attacks = 138 X 2 from auto crit 276 psychic first round damage. That's one hellava headache!
(Edit oops forgot sneak attack damage)
+4d6 crit sneak attack damage= 290 first round damage!!!

Last edited:

Remove ads