Baby-Faced Jan 2018 Edition!!

Richards

Legend
I'm reading the first novel by Maggy Thomas, Broken Time. It's about a woman in the far future (we've colonized other worlds and met up with other races) who works as a janitor in the Institute for the Criminally Insane, where the galaxy's few incurable psychopathic serial killers are housed and studied. Her leadership is using her to try to learn more about their psychopathic charges, who refuse to speak with the Institute's psychoanalysts; they're hoping to learn something by their interactions with the cleaning lady mopping the floor outside their cages. There's also a subplot involving an alien race called the Speedies, who move at a significantly faster pace than humans, and a potentially linked phenomenon called a Time Bubble, when gravitational forces can pull a person out of the timestream entirely and cause everyone else to forget about their very existence; the main character, Siggy, has seen this happen when she was a kid but nobody believes her.

So far, it's a good read by an author I'd never heard of before but was willing to give a shot when I saw the book at the library book sale.

Johnathan

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Just read Magyk by Angie Sage because it came in a box from a garage sale. It's a fun easy read aimed at teens and shows I should take a glance at the teen fiction shelves more often.

Some nice humour and interesting characters that weave together at a good and compelling pace. Apparently the first in a series too, so next

Wizard of Earthsea re-read is done. Glorious, of course. Now, after a two-book break, it’s back to the Wheel of Time re-read, with Book Six, Lord of Chaos. Five books down, one in the barrel, and eight to go! But hey, I’ll probably still finish the whole series before we see the Winds of Winter and Doors of Stone.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm reading C.S. Forester's The Age of Fighting Sail, it's about the naval battles between American and England in the War of 1812.

Lots on the captains and the context as well as the battle themselves.

Remove ads