Baby-Faced Jan 2018 Edition!!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm in the same demographic, but...RP1 did nothing for me. I couldn't help but compare it to Snowcrash, and RP1 does not do well by that metric. (I have the same issue with Old Man's War and The Forever War. Haldeman by a light year.)

Some people say Snowcrash hasn't aged gracefully, but I've always enjoyed it. Perhaps one of my favorite books.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Snowcash is a masterful work that subverts expectations. A cinematic car chase to... deliver a pizza? That is an opening.

Richards

Legend
I'm reading Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. Had I realized it was book one of a trilogy (followed by Finders Keepers and End of Watch) I wouldn't have accidentally read book three first....

So I already know how this one ends, but the third book was absorbing enough that I asked my son to put these first two novels on my Christmas list and he was kind enough to oblige. I'm about 80 pages in and it's been great so far. (And I definitely know what book I'll be reading after this one....)

Johnathan

Jhaelen

First Post
Different strokes for different folks. Some people really love RP1, and some people don't.
I thought it was just 'okay'. I don't think it's well written and the story is somewhat lacking, but I enjoyed it nonetheless because it's so full of references to things that mean a lot to me.
Some people say Snowcrash hasn't aged gracefully, but I've always enjoyed it. Perhaps one of my favorite books.
I liked 'Snowcrash', but my favorite novels by Neal Stephenson are other titles: 'Cryptonomicon', 'Anathema', and 'A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer' a.k.a. 'Diamond Age' (in that order).

Remove ads