I need ideas for a character.

ccs

41st lv DM
well the thing is, the DM won't tell us anything about the next story arc, since he wants it to be a surprise.

Well that does make it a bit hard to create a character....
Do you know if it's set in the Forgotten Realms, some other (published) setting, the DMs own personal world?
Do you know if he expects you to be playing the good guys, the bad guys?
What do you know about this DMs general style?

I really loved the badass image of the outlander background, the idea of having knowledge of the power of nature, and being able to survive it, and take a party with me. That's what drove me to be a druid first off. The 2 levels of monk are purely for mechanical reasons.

Ok.
The outlander background isn't restricted to druids. The trick is just imagining some other character & explaining why outlander is the background that best fits them.

I already know that there will be a sorcerer in the party, as well as an undead necromancer. I don't think there are many bards or clerics in the party, so maybe one of those?

I'd go with a bard. Because you have no idea what you're going into adventure-wise. Bards can fight, wear armor, cast a variety of useful spells, & just have a built in reason to "know stuff". And when it comes time to choose a sub-class? You can then specialize on what your group/game needs - more fighting? More support? More ____?
As for taking the outlander background? Sure, it fits. It's one of those things your bard happens to know about. Knows a lot about in fact. Likely gained while trekking about between settlements.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Dealing with an elder god seem to be the most likely way to lose your memory. Also, warlocks can get by without weapons, wands, tomes, or other things. Less equipment to give you clues about your history.

Shadow sorcerer was my second though. But feel free to run it with any class.

Also, IMO

Half way though the campaign, you find a pit that is full of lockets, exactly like the one you have. You decide at that moment, to give up your fruitless search, and toss your locket in the pile with the rest. Thinking that clearly someone has played a joke on you.

At the end of the campaign, you get married, have a daughter, and your wife gives you a locket with a picture of your new born daughter before you go off to kill the final BBEG. When you return, they are dead. You then you make deal with the great old one to go back in time to save them.

Then...
you stumble into town with no memory of who you are. You have nothing in your possession but a tattered and burnt armor and an eye shaped locket. Looking at the locket instills a sense of horror, but inside there is a decayed picture of a young woman, and that fill you with an desire to protect her. You need to find her and help her, yet you don't know her name, or why you feel that way. Or even how old the picture is.

:cool:

But you'd remember having found the ditch with all the pictures of your daughter and having throw it away. So how would you process that when your wife gave you the locket befotre fighting the BBEG?

ppaladin123

Adventurer
outlander/nature theme= rogue(scout), ranger, druid, fighter(any), barbarian(any), paladin(oath of ancients), warlock(fey), cleric(nature). Some of those multiclass relatively well with each other.

Ben Brown

First Post
Well that does make it a bit hard to create a character....
Do you know if it's set in the Forgotten Realms, some other (published) setting, the DMs own personal world?
Do you know if he expects you to be playing the good guys, the bad guys?
What do you know about this DMs general style?

Ok.
The outlander background isn't restricted to druids. The trick is just imagining some other character & explaining why outlander is the background that best fits them.

I'd go with a bard. Because you have no idea what you're going into adventure-wise. Bards can fight, wear armor, cast a variety of useful spells, & just have a built in reason to "know stuff". And when it comes time to choose a sub-class? You can then specialize on what your group/game needs - more fighting? More support? More ____?
As for taking the outlander background? Sure, it fits. It's one of those things your bard happens to know about. Knows a lot about in fact. Likely gained while trekking about between settlements.

I do know that the campaign will be very story based, rather than a fight this, fight that campaign.

I know that the outlander background isn't restricted to druids, but it seemed to fit my character the best, here's my backstory/origin story:

I am a firbolg named Erkas Vorlieren, who grew up in the far reaches of the forest in my clan. My parents are the clan leaders. I lived a content life, I wanted nothing, but did not have excess. My mother mainly raised me, seeing as my father was always busy ruling. I had many friends, and enjoyed my time spent with them. One night, I awake to the sounds of screaming and otherworldly roars. I run to the door of my hut and see a horde of attackers so wild and ravaging, they are impossible to make out. The clan’s defenses are no match for the horde of unidentified invaders. They easily breach the outer defense, and storm the camp. They act as a swarm, swallowing up anything in their path. The males of the clan, including my father, rush towards the horde, and to their swift demise. “Run, Erkas, Run!” My mother screams, and that is what I did. I ran. Ran for minutes, ran for hours, ran for days, until I could run no longer. I was alone, as far as I knew my clan was eradicated. I was alone. Since I could do nothing else, I waited and watched. Waited for the horde to find me. I witnessed the law of nature firsthand, how the strong survive, and how the weak perish. I made a vow to myself that day. I vowed to never be weak enough to succumb to the horde. I vowed to survive and to live by the one true law: Nature’s Law. After a month spent surviving in the wilds, I stumbled upon a monastery. The monks took me in and raised me, teaching the ways of the civilized people. I loathed it. The monks, realizing that I could not stay with them forever, decided to teach me the way of the wild, showing me how to survive and sustain the natural order. When I was old enough, the let me go into the wild to find my own way.

I have also learned that in addition to the sorcerer and the Necromancer, there will be a minotaur barbarian or fighter, so support classes might be the way to go.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Something I just crafted for myself, but feel free to copy:

Arcane Trickster Rogue 3 / Trickery Cleric #
This guy is admittedly MAD (and hard to optimize; I'm using a Forest Gnome).
Bane and similar spells turn the opposition into a bunch of klutzes.
Mage Hand Legerdemain lets you pull all kinds of stunts on unobservant enemies.
Think in terms of "how can I tie Team Monster's shoelaces together, so they can't DO much?"

And when the fight is over, Cure Wounds (or Prayer of Healing) for your friends.

P.S. Ask your DM if that necromancer can Raise Dead the enemies you slay and use them to help fight the next opponents. (But you ALL may become persona non grata in any place you want to stay / use as a home base.)

Penhall

Villager
If you're looking for utility, consider an Aasimar Paladin/Warlock build. Maybe your character was sent to keep an eye on the undead necromancer. Depending on the flavor of the party and how the story unfolds, there are a lot of different ways you can take the character. If the story leans more towards a heroic bent, you can take the celestial warlock pact and focusing on being a beacon of hope and light. If it's a darker party, there is the Fiendish or Great Old One pact. Based on your current party makeup, this gives you a lot of flexibility to tailor your character to the party/story after the fact. I would start as a Paladin and discuss with your DM what deities/alignments would be appropriate to start.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The most fun character I've ever played was a Hillbilly Archer. I have a fighter incarnation of this guy and a rogue incarnation. Personally I think the rogue version is more fun.

I go wood elf or variant human depending on if I want a feat at level 1 and get high dex and high wisdom and set my intelligence to 8. The other stats can be whatever. I play him as a wilderness survivalist type guy. He's kinda dumb but does learn things the hard way through trial and error (the high wisdom). He can handle combat tactics like kiting and sneaking up on enemies and nature stuff really well. He talks funny and does questionable stuff at times. He'll have a few "hey guys, watch this" as he proceeds to do something you never imagined you would see.

The rogue version is typically a woodelf Rogue (assassain) with the Sharpshooter feat at level 4. He's a sniper type hunter. Deadly from long range. In combat he will move around a lot. Running for cover popping up and shooting etc. The hillbilly is dumb but not generally combat dumb. Though at some point he may decide he can ride the dire wolf or giant spider and tell yall to "watch this'

Last edited:

Remove ads