I need ideas for a character.

Ben Brown

First Post
Hey all,
So after I had a blast doing a Battle Royale with my D&D friends (my first D&D experience, I got annihilated), I want to join a real campaign with them. My problem is that I can't come up with a character, since my only other legitimate idea, a firbolg druid/monk, was already taken (what are the odds?). My favorite part of making a character is the flavor. I am a sucker for a good backstory. I spent more time on my backstory and keeping the whole character in flavor than actually building the character. I feel like with a real campaign, I can incorporate more of this in, but I have no frame of reference. My DM is pretty lenient with unearthed arcana and homebrew. Could you guys give a new player a hand?​

Thanks!

mellored

Legend
Amnesia great old one warlock.

You stumble into town with no memory of who you are. You have nothing in your possession but a tattered and burnt armor and an eye shaped locket. Looking at the locket instills a sense of horror, but inside there is a decayed picture of a young woman, and that fill you with an desire to protect her. You need to find her and help her, yet you don't know her name, or why you feel that way. Or even how old the picture is.

Jsin

First Post
I am playing Moon Knight. If you don't know who this guy is he is a Marvel superhero with multiple personality disorder. I literally have 4 different character sheets and depending on what I roll on a D100 determines which of them is in control of the body for the day. The 4 characters are aware of each other and talk to one another in his head. (Moon Knight, Ronin, Paladin and a little red headed girl)

This is so much fun!

ccs

41st lv DM
Telling us about the campaign you're going to join will significantly help us help you.

As will telling us a bit about what type of character you'd like to play (other than a firbolg druid/monk).
You don't need to be rules specific. Just tell us what you envision.

You might also consider what's already in the party. Is there some type of character that seems needed (for ex; in our Sunday game there's no healer)? Is there another character that you can play off of? You say there's already a Firbolg monk/druid. But is there any reason he has to be the only Firbolg in the party?

CTurbo

Explorer
Creating and leveling up characters is my favorite thing about DnD. I love helping people create characters, but helping somebody create their backstory just feels weird.

I like my characters tougher than normal. My next character will most likely be a Variant Human Tome pact Fiend Warlock with the Moderately Armored feat at level 1. Will max char before taking anything else.

So far, my favorite 5e character has been my vhuman Tempest Cleric. Heavy Armor Mastery feat at level 1 made this guy VERY tanky. Maxing thunder or lightning damage every short rest is an instant encounter stopper. Plain and simple. I actually ditched the shield for a +1 Greatsword just because he was almost TOO tanky. Spirit guardians is unfair. lol

Any Barbarian is going to be a ton of fun. I have played both a Goliath Bear Totem and a Halfling Frenzy Barb. Both were awesome. The Goliath was dumb(6 Int) but the Halfling was down right animalistic(4 Int). He wielded a light hammer and the DM let me have the have the Frenzy's level 14 Retaliation feature at level 3 for flavor. This little guy was 2 levels behind everybody else and basically sat out 1 out of every 3 encounters due to exhaustion.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Well, if you are stuck for character building inspiration: Take a song you like, and build a character that reflects the song.

Ben Brown

First Post
well the thing is, the DM won't tell us anything about the next story arc, since he wants it to be a surprise.

I really loved the badass image of the outlander background, the idea of having knowledge of the power of nature, and being able to survive it, and take a party with me. That's what drove me to be a druid first off. The 2 levels of monk are purely for mechanical reasons.

I already know that there will be a sorcerer in the party, as well as an undead necromancer. I don't think there are many bards or clerics in the party, so maybe one of those?

Ben Brown

First Post
Amnesia great old one warlock.

You stumble into town with no memory of who you are. You have nothing in your possession but a tattered and burnt armor and an eye shaped locket. Looking at the locket instills a sense of horror, but inside there is a decayed picture of a young woman, and that fill you with an desire to protect her. You need to find her and help her, yet you don't know her name, or why you feel that way. Or even how old the picture is.

I honestly love the backstory potential of the character. one question: why the great old one?

mellored

Legend
I honestly love the backstory potential of the character. one question: why the great old one?
Dealing with an elder god seem to be the most likely way to lose your memory. Also, warlocks can get by without weapons, wands, tomes, or other things. Less equipment to give you clues about your history.

Shadow sorcerer was my second though. But feel free to run it with any class.

Also, IMO

Half way though the campaign, you find a pit that is full of lockets, exactly like the one you have. You decide at that moment, to give up your fruitless search, and toss your locket in the pile with the rest. Thinking that clearly someone has played a joke on you.

At the end of the campaign, you get married, have a daughter, and your wife gives you a locket with a picture of your new born daughter before you go off to kill the final BBEG. When you return, they are dead. You then you make deal with the great old one to go back in time to save them.

Then...
you stumble into town with no memory of who you are. You have nothing in your possession but a tattered and burnt armor and an eye shaped locket. Looking at the locket instills a sense of horror, but inside there is a decayed picture of a young woman, and that fill you with an desire to protect her. You need to find her and help her, yet you don't know her name, or why you feel that way. Or even how old the picture is.

:cool:

Ben Brown

First Post
Dealing with an elder god seem to be the most likely way to lose your memory. Also, warlocks can get by without weapons, wands, tomes, or other things. Less equipment to give you clues about your history.

Shadow sorcerer was my second though. But feel free to run it with any class.

Also, IMO

Half way though the campaign, you find a pit that is full of lockets, exactly like the one you have. You decide at that moment, to give up your fruitless search, and toss your locket in the pile with the rest. Thinking that clearly someone has played a joke on you.

At the end of the campaign, you get married, have a daughter, and your wife gives you a locket with a picture of your new born daughter before you go off to kill the final BBEG. When you return, they are dead. You then you make deal with the great old one to go back in time to save them.

Then...
you stumble into town with no memory of who you are. You have nothing in your possession but a tattered and burnt armor and an eye shaped locket. Looking at the locket instills a sense of horror, but inside there is a decayed picture of a young woman, and that fill you with an desire to protect her. You need to find her and help her, yet you don't know her name, or why you feel that way. Or even how old the picture is.

:cool:

Holy :):):):). I love it, but I feel that wouldn't work well in a party setting, since no one would travel back in time with me. Have you done something like this before?

Remove ads