D&D 5E What do You Think of These Homebrew Subraces?

Herosmith14

First Post
In re-reading what I wrote, apologies if I came as overly negative. I only commented at all because I liked what you made. Coincidentally, I got approval from my DM for a shadowdragonborn character last year, but ended up choosing something else in the end.

Cool, it didn't seem negative at all, You made good points, and I'm thankful for that.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Satyrn

First Post
I had a thought about the winter elves. You ought to give them a feature called something like "Lightfooted" that lets these elves walk atop snow like Legolas in the mountain pass. I'd give it the side effect of letting the elves step on pressure plates without triggering them, and things like that.

Well, aside from some of the fluff, I really like the ideas. But I'm a sucker for races and classes that break molds and bend Tropes, like Dark Sun Halflings.

You're War Gnomes remind me of the Gnome Titans of Garweeze Wurld (from The Knights of the Dinner Table). I also picture, as funny as it sounds, Spartan Gnomes!!! This. Is. GNOME-LAND!!!!! Although, I like the idea of nomadic, martial gnomes like the Aiel of the Wheel of Time ...

Anyway, perhaps another name for them like:

Stalwart Gnomes
Brawler Gnomes
Scrappy Gnomes
Martial Gnomes

Sorry, but your idea just tickled something in my mind and I started randomly brainstorming. That's a compliment, by the way. I'm now looking for a way to use something similar.

Not sure if it was said, but perhaps, with the Forest Dwarfs, an ability that allows them to pass over or through rough terrain? Like dense, fern-filled rain forests of the Pacific Northwest? Which could mean...Tree Dwarfs! Like a cross between Ewoks and the Viet Cong. Trap building Kobolds on steroids!

I LOVE the Winter Elves. Not sure if I'd change a thing you did with them. My own setting has a similar Storm Elf, which are like airship riding Norse Elf raiders from the mountain Sky Ports.

Cool Stuff! Thanks for showing and (and giving me ideas!!)

Herosmith14

First Post
Alright, I've revised stuff, taking your guys' advice on both Crunch and Fluff. I also built up another halfling. Let me know what you think about both the revisions and the new guy. I didn't go for a Fey/Hidden Step for the Fey Gnomes, cause I didn't want to take features from other subraces that aren't already shared, like Fey Ancestry is, and I like the idea of Winter Elves walking on top of snow, but I already like what I had and didn't know what to swap out.

Forest Dwarves
Forest Dwarves are dwarves that mainly live in forests near rocky outcroppings and caves, mainly to use the wood to make homes above ground so they don’t waist “valuable defense and mining space,” though usually keep their homes at least mostly dug into the ground, and also don’t come together to form cities, just small mining colonies. They’re not only peculiar dwarves in terms of housing, they also have different builds than normal dwarves, being a bit taller and having a leaner and more flexible build. Forest Dwarves tend to have tan skin and hair colors ranging across all the different colors of bark. Finally, some civilizations of Forest Dwarves tend to be a bit nomadic, settling down to mine out a vein of resources they find and then moving on to another.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity increases by 1.
Hard as Oak. You can use an action to expend a number of hit dice equal to your Constitution modifier(minimum of 1). You regain hit points equal to the number rolled.
Crag Gnomes
Crag Gnomes are warrior gnomes that spend their adult lives finding battles to fight, or, in some cases, causing them. Crag Gnomes are generally neutral, but still can favor one side over another, one could fight for fun and to protect those who can’t protect themselves, or one could fight for fun and personal gain. Crag Gnomes have slightly more muscular builds and slightly faster reflexes, but, the one thing Crag Gnomes are especially good at when they’re not headed off to war, is their knowledge of them. A Crag Gnome that becomes a scholar will generally specialize in war history or great battles.
These gnomes live in harsh, rocky canyons typically, where resources are scarce and conflict is seen as a necessity.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength increases by 1
Scholar of Battle. You have advantage on History checks related to weapons, war machines, wars, armies, etc.
Skilled Combatant. You’re proficient in 1 martial weapon of your choice.
Fey Gnomes
Fey Gnomes came from the Feywild. Generally, they are regarded as a closer cousin to Forest Gnomes, but no one is sure, not even the Fey Gnomes themselves! These gnomes tend to be a bit nomadic, often on the run because people don’t appreciate pranks the way they do. These gnomes have vibrant colored hair and eyes, resembling fey.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma Score increases by 1.
Silver Tongue. You can use your action to cast Enthrall, using Charisma as your spellcasting ability. Once you have used this feature, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.
Extra Language. You can speak, read, and write Sylvan.
Winter Elves
Winter elves are a subrace of elf that secluded to the mountains and were lost to not very well known myth and legend. They were thought to be a tribal like society, known for being exceptional hunters and guides through mountainous and artic areas, as well as being known for having a large population of druids. Occasionally, though, some great yet cunning and twisted leaders and heroes, such as Laozk, a brilliant yet dark warrior, emerge and lead the winter elves down dark paths. Few Winter Elves ever leave their mountain homes, and those who do are typically fleeing exiles..
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Scout Weapon Training. You’re proficient in the longbow, shortbow, spear, and club.
Arctic Habitat. You have resistance to cold damage.
Survival Instinct. You’re proficient in Wis (Survival) checks.
Appearance. Winter Elves are the size of normal elves, though weigh about 20 lbs. lighter, and have extremely pale skin, sometimes with a slight icy blue tinge, with hair usually snow white.
Alignment. Winter Elves are very territorial and concerned about survival, bending them toward Neutral.
Shadow Draconic Ancestry
As with dragons, exposure at birth, or for a number of years to the plane known as Shadowfell, can turn a dragonborn into a Shadow Dragon. Shadow Dragonborn end up having similar goals to Shadow Dragons, which are almost never good. Though Shadow Dragonborn are rarely seen outside of Shadowfell, and even then they’re rare, some find they’re way into the material plane and either are very blunt and go on destructive rampages in the name of shadow, or try to pass of as other Dragonborn, usually Black Dragonborn, to secretly further their goals. One thing they cannot hide, though, is their breath weapon, which is simply a shadowy form of one of the other breath weapons.
Damage Resistance. You have resistance to Necrotic damage.
Breath Weapon. Your breath weapon does Necrotic damage and you may choose which blast radius it takes, that is, 15ft cone or 5x30ft line.
Appearance. Shadow Dragonborn have shadowy black skin or scales with a slight chromatic or metallic shine. Their eyes are either red, purple, or yellow.
Smartbrain Halflings
Smartbrain Halflings, like all Halflings, are simple folk, and are actually very rare to find as an adventurer, though it is not impossible. Smartbrains tend to stick around libraries or their own homes, reading, studying, or doing anything else that might increase their intellect. Unfortunately, like the Ghostwise Halflings, Smartbrains have withdrawn from the wider world, though no one knows exactly why. Smartbrains have formed small villages and vast libraries of books that their Lightfoot and Strongheart cousins have bought or otherwise acquired. Smartbrains are not picky about where they settle, as long as it’s safe, spacious, and hidden, it’s the perfect place for Smartbrains to build a village.
Ability Score Increase. Your Int. increases by 1.
Scholarly Study. You’re proficient in 2 Int. skills of your choice.
Strongarm Halflings
Not all who are small are weak. That is the motto of most Strongarm halflings. These halflings are warriors, champions, and strongmen. They are born with more fit bodies than their Lightfoot, Strongheart, Ghostwise, and Smartbrain cousins, and never forget it. This leads them to be viewed as somewhat haughty.
Strongarm halflings typically dwell in secluded places, like the base of a mountain of in the heart of a canyon, where they can exercise their unusual strength, and not be bothered by their “weakling” cousins. However, they do have a certain respect for Strongheart Halflings.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Small Yet Strong. You do not have disadvantage wielding heavy weapons.

Remove ads