D&D 5E What do You Think of These Homebrew Subraces?

Herosmith14

First Post
So, minus the Fey Gnome, which I brewed up today, these have been sitting in my drive for a long time. I decided to dust 'em off, tweak 'em a bit, and let you guys see them. Let me know what you think.

[h=1]Forest Dwarves[/h] Forest Dwarves are dwarves that mainly live in forests near rocky outcroppings and caves, mainly to use the wood to make homes above ground so they don’t waist “valuable defense and mining space,” though usually keep their homes at least mostly dug into the ground, and also don’t come together to form cities, just small mining colonies. They’re not only peculiar dwarves in terms of housing, they also have different builds than normal dwarves, being a bit taller and having a leaner and more flexible build. Forest Dwarves tend to have tan skin and hair colors ranging across all the different colors of bark. Finally, some civilizations of Forest Dwarves tend to be a bit nomadic, settling down to mine out a vein of resources they find and then moving on to another.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity increases by 1.
Thick Skinned. You’re AC increases by 1.

[h=1]War Gnomes[/h] War Gnomes are warrior gnomes that spend their adult lives finding battles to fight, or, in some cases, causing them. War Gnomes are generally neutral, but still can favor one side over another, one could fight for fun and to protect those who can’t protect themselves, or one could fight for fun and personal gain. War Gnomes have slightly more muscular builds and slightly faster reflexes, but, the one thing War Gnomes are especially good at when they’re not headed off to war, is their knowledge of them. A War Gnome that becomes a scholar will generally specialize in war history or great battles.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength increases by 1
Scholar of Battle. You have advantage on History checks related to weapons, war machines, wars, armies, etc.
Skilled Combatant. You’re proficient in 1 martial weapon of your choice.

[h=1]Fey Gnomes[/h] Fey Gnomes came from the Feywild. Generally, they are regarded as a closer cousin to Forest Gnomes, but no one is sure, not even the Fey Gnomes themselves! These gnomes tend to be a bit nomadic, often on the run because people don’t appreciate pranks the way they do. These gnomes have vibrant colored hair and eyes, resembling fey.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom Score increases by 1.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic cannot put you to sleep.
Extra Language. You can speak, read, and write Sylvan.

[h=1]Winter Elves[/h] Winter elves are a subrace of elf that secluded to the mountains and were lost to not very well known myth and legend. They were thought to be a tribal like society, known for being exceptional hunters and guides through mountainous and artic areas, as well as being known for having a large population of druids. Occasionally, though, some great yet cunning and twisted leaders and heroes, such as Laozk, a brilliant yet dark warrior, emerge and lead the winter elves down dark paths. Although, some Winter Elves emerge from hiding out of curiosity of the outside world, they are almost always lost, killed, eaten, or all out of unpreparedness before they meet very many people and verify their species existence.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.

Tribal Weapon Training. You’re proficient in the longbow, shortbow, spear, and club.

Arctic Habitat. You have resistance to cold damage.

Tribal Dwellers. You’re proficient in Wis (Survival) checks.

Appearance. Winter Elves are the size of normal elves, though weigh about 20 lbs. lighter, and have extremely pale skin, sometimes with a slight icy blue tinge, with hair usually snow white.

Alignment. Winter Elves are very territorial and concerned about survival, bending them toward Neutral.

[h=1]Shadow Draconic Ancestry[/h] As with dragons, exposure at birth, or for a number of years to the plane known as Shadowfell, can turn a dragonborn into a Shadow Dragon. Shadow Dragonborn end up having similar goals to Shadow Dragons, which are almost always evil. Though Shadow Dragonborn are rarely seen outside of Shadowfell, and even then they’re rare, some find they’re way into the material plane and either are very blunt and go on destructive rampages in the name of shadow, or try to pass of as other Dragonborn, usually Black Dragonborn, to secretly further their goals. One thing they cannot hide, though, is their breath weapon, which is simply a shadowy form of one of the other breath weapons.

Damage Resistance. You have resistance to Necrotic damage.
Breath Weapon. Your breath weapon does Necrotic damage and you may choose which blast radius it takes, that is, 15ft cone or 5x30ft line.
Appearance. Shadow Dragonborn have shadowy black skin or scales with a slight chromatic or metallic shine. Their eyes are either red, purple, or yellow.

[h=1]Smartbrain Halflings[/h] Smartbrain Halflings, like all Halflings, are simple folk, and are actually very rare to find as an adventurer, though it is not impossible. Smartbrains tend to stick around libraries or their own homes, reading, studying, or doing anything else that might increase their intellect. Unfortunately, like the Ghostwise Halflings, Smartbrains have withdrawn from the wider world, though no one knows exactly why. Smartbrains have formed small villages and vast libraries of books that their Lightfoot and Strongheart cousins have bought or otherwise acquired. Smartbrains are not picky about where they settle, as long as it’s safe, spacious, and hidden, it’s the perfect place for Smartbrains to build a village.

Ability Score Increase. Your Int. increases by 1.
Scholarly Study. You’re proficient in 2 Int. skills of your choice.

Satyrn

First Post
When I played a forest gnome, both of its subrace features were great hooks to hang a personality on, made it feel different than a rock gnome, and completely different than a halfling, dwarf or elf.

Your gnomes need more features - because the core gnomes get more - and you ought to give them something flavorful and interesting like the rock gnome's tinkering or the forest gnome's speak with small beasts. I don't have any suggestions, though.

Oh, and I don't like the name "War Gnome." It's rather rules-ish in nature. Might I suggest Mordor Gnomes? Something sinister like that, anyway, even though they aren't actually evil.

The forest dwarf's flavor writeup was intriguing. But the features do not inspire. The problem might be there's so little room in the dwarf as written, though. There's very little you can really give that provides a distinction. So I'll actually say "good job" to that subrace.

ro

First Post
I like what you've got going on here!

[h=1]Fey Gnomes[/h] Fey Gnomes came from the Feywild. Generally, they are regarded as a closer cousin to Forest Gnomes, but no one is sure, not even the Fey Gnomes themselves! These gnomes tend to be a bit nomadic, often on the run because people don’t appreciate pranks the way they do. These gnomes have vibrant colored hair and eyes, resembling fey.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic cannot put you to sleep.
Extra Language. You can speak, read, and write Sylvan.

One issue with this one is Fey Ancestry. Gnomes already have advantage on Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma saving throws against magic, so advantage against charm is redundant: they already have it. What about giving them something like the Eladrin Misty Step?

Fey Teleportation. Once per short rest, you can use a bonus action to teleport up to 30 feet to a point you can see.​

ro

First Post
The forest dwarf's flavor writeup was intriguing. But the features do not inspire. The problem might be there's so little room in the dwarf as written, though. There's very little you can really give that provides a distinction. So I'll actually say "good job" to that subrace.

I had the same thought. Rather than a +1 AC, what about something like:

Forest Camouflage. You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks when in forests.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I had the same thought. Rather than a +1 AC, what about something like:
Forest Camouflage. You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks when in forests.​

Camouflage sounds very undwarfy to me. Dwarves are loud and obvious, eager to face the world head on. Their forest kin should be, too, I think.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Forest Dwarf: instead of the AC buff - Brush Fighter - You've lived your life barreling through the bracken, it doesn't impede you the way it does less stout and stalwart races. Coupled with your bark like complexion, it makes it easy for you to evade enemy attacks. When if forest terrain, or areas of thick scrub and bushes, natural or magical, enemies have disadvantage on attack rolls against you.

clutchbone

First Post
So, minus the Fey Gnome, which I brewed up today, these have been sitting in my drive for a long time. I decided to dust 'em off, tweak 'em a bit, and let you guys see them. Let me know what you think.

Personally, I think race/subrace design, flavour & crunch, should gently guide towards a particular archetypal class (dwarves culturally and mechanically lean towards fighters & clerics, etc), so I'd be very interested in learning which classes you think each these subraces would gravitate towards.

Forest Dwarves

Thick Skinned. You’re AC increases by 1.
AC increases are tricky. A dex-based fighter forest dwarf could have 22 AC (plate, shield, defense style, racial), which is quite powerful. Dex builds are generally seen as superior to Str builds already. Maybe replace with skill training in survival to reflect their small, semi-nomadic lifestyle? Or, if you're set on a defensive feature, maybe adv. vs disease, or buff hit dice in some way (spend up to con mod HD as action to regain hp, once/long rest; or regain all HD after long rest, instead of half) to emphasize their ability to get up and go.

War Gnomes
Gnome subrace names are usually based on geography/location, not vocation (Rock gnomes burrow in hills, deep gnomes are from the underdark, etc). Where do these Gnomes live?

Fey Gnomes

Fey Gnomes came from the Feywild. Generally, they are regarded as a closer cousin to Forest Gnomes, but no one is sure, not even the Fey Gnomes themselves! These gnomes tend to be a bit nomadic, often on the run because people don’t appreciate pranks the way they do. These gnomes have vibrant colored hair and eyes, resembling fey.

Tricksters are usually associated with Charisma (bards, warlocks, deception, persuasion), rather than Wisdom (druids, clerics, insight, perception), and Fey Ancestry overlaps somewhat with Gnome Cunning. Perhaps copy the Firbolg's Hidden Step or the Eladrin's Fey Step?

Winter Elves

Winter elves are... known for being exceptional hunters and guides through mountainous and artic areas, as well as being known for having a large population of druids.
Although, some Winter Elves emerge from hiding out of curiosity of the outside world, they are almost always lost, killed, eaten, or all out of unpreparedness before they meet very many people and verify their species existence.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.

Wisdom might be more thematic than Constitution, since they are known for their large number of druids. Dex+Con isn't a great druid package; no spellcasting stat and you lose your physical statistics in wildshape.

Also, it's kind of weird that exceptional hunters and guides would get disproportionately lost and eaten, even outside of their home territory.

Shadow Draconic Ancestry

Shadow Dragonborn end up having similar goals to Shadow Dragons, which are almost always evil.... and go on destructive rampages in the name of shadow

Damage Resistance. You have resistance to Necrotic damage.
Breath Weapon. Your breath weapon does Necrotic damage and you may choose which blast radius it takes, that is, 15ft cone or 5x30ft line.
Appearance. Shadow Dragonborn have shadowy black skin or scales with a slight chromatic or metallic shine. Their eyes are either red, purple, or yellow.

Destructive rampages seems more "NPC" than "PC", and I'm not a big fan of "almost always evil" PC races. See the tiefling and half-orc for examples of "not usually good" alignment write-up.
A neat idea would be to give them superior darkvision + sunlight sensitivity.

Last edited:

Herosmith14

First Post
Personally, I think race/subrace design, flavour & crunch, should gently guide towards a particular archetypal class (dwarves culturally and mechanically lean towards fighters & clerics, etc), so I'd be very interested in learning which classes you think each these subraces would gravitate towards.

AC increases are tricky. A dex-based fighter forest dwarf could have 22 AC (plate, shield, defense style, racial), which is quite powerful. Dex builds are generally seen as superior to Str builds already. Maybe replace with skill training in survival to reflect their small, semi-nomadic lifestyle? Or, if you're set on a defensive feature, maybe adv. vs disease, or buff hit dice in some way (spend up to con mod HD as action to regain hp, once/long rest; or regain all HD after long rest, instead of half) to emphasize their ability to get up and go.

Gnome subrace names are usually based on geography/location, not vocation (Rock gnomes burrow in hills, deep gnomes are from the underdark, etc). Where do these Gnomes live?

Tricksters are usually associated with Charisma (bards, warlocks, deception, persuasion), rather than Wisdom (druids, clerics, insight, perception), and Fey Ancestry overlaps somewhat with Gnome Cunning. Perhaps copy the Firbolg's Hidden Step or the Eladrin's Fey Step?

Wisdom might be more thematic than Constitution, since they are known for their large number of druids. Dex+Con isn't a great druid package; no spellcasting stat and you lose your physical statistics in wildshape.

Also, it's kind of weird that exceptional hunters and guides would get disproportionately lost and eaten, even outside of their home territory.

Destructive rampages seems more "NPC" than "PC", and I'm not a big fan of "almost always evil" PC races. See the tiefling and half-orc for examples of "not usually good" alignment write-up.
A neat idea would be to give them superior darkvision + sunlight sensitivity.

Forest Dwarves. Fair point. Like I said, I remember having trouble coming up with crunch that fit the pattern.

War Gnomes. Fair point. I was thinking nomadic (notice a pattern?), but I'll think on that. maybe harsh, rocky plains with little resources?

Fey Gnomes. Good point on stats, and I hadn't thought about Firbolg during design.

Winter Elves. Good arguments. That was the first one I made, I dunno, 3 years ago and haven't touched it since, do thanks. The lost and nomnom thing was mainly there to explain away their rarity, but I'll work on that.

Shadow Dragonborn. It was meant to be an NPC race more than anything, and I was trying to mesh it with the Shadow Dragon fluff, but fair point.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

clutchbone

First Post
In re-reading what I wrote, apologies if I came as overly negative. I only commented at all because I liked what you made. Coincidentally, I got approval from my DM for a shadowdragonborn character last year, but ended up choosing something else in the end.

Remove ads