D&D (2024) 6e, how would you sort the classes/sub-classs?

mellored

Legend
Should paladin just a fighter kit? Or is it a fighter/cleric multi-class? Or it's own thing? Is blackguard a paladin?
Is assassin a rogue? How about ninja? Is ranger just a wilderness? Or rogue just a city ranger?
Are sorcerers just a sub-class of wizard? Are wizard and druids a sub-class of magic user? Or are druids focused on shapechanging?
Is everything psionic all together, or are there different types? Is telepathy different from telekinesis? Is soul knife psionic, or more of a monk thing?
What's the difference between a knight and samurai? Or are they just different names for fighter?
Where do bards go?

If you had full creative control, how would you sort them?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
-Only 5 classes. Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard, Druid.

-Subclass options would be at 1st, 4th, 7th, etc.

-1st level subclass options would often have major mechanical implications (like a Sorcerer subclass for Wizard might have spell points and use Charisma instead of Intelligence).

-Subclass wouldn't be fixed. You could take the 1st level ability of subclass A at level 1, and then an option for subclass B at level 4. Higher level subclass options would generally require that the lower level features be taken, but other options would exist.

-Most of the other classic classes would be single class subclasses or multiclass combinations. Paladin would have Fighter and Cleric options, Sorcerer would be a Wizard subclass, Ranger would have options for Fighter, Rogue, and Druid.

mellored

Legend
-Only 5 classes. Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard, Druid.
What makes the druid different?

-Subclass options would be at 1st, 4th, 7th, etc.

-1st level subclass options would often have major mechanical implications (like a Sorcerer subclass for Wizard might have spell points and use Charisma instead of Intelligence).

-Subclass wouldn't be fixed. You could take the 1st level ability of subclass A at level 1, and then an option for subclass B at level 4. Higher level subclass options would generally require that the lower level features be taken, but other options would exist.
So combining sub-class and feats?

Sacrosanct

Legend
The core four: fighter, rogue, wizard, and cleric.

I’d take 5e’s lead on feats with how they are packages, but I’d take it one step further and make them even more encompassing packages, and packages that have some sort of level scaling.

For example, let’s say you want an Eldritch Knight. You choose a fighter, and at level 3 (the level normally where a subclass is granted), you choose a feat package of Arcane Magic. That feat starts by granting a couple cantrips and a first level spell. At every level gained, you gain an additional spell slot. At 5th level, you get a 2nd level spell. At 7th level you get third level, etc.

Or you choose the knight feat package and get bonuses to mounted combat, abilities tied around leadership and inspiration, and abilities to help defend allies. All of which also have level scaling abilities.

Note, that is just for illustrative purpose, not that that’s how I’d actually do it. With more encompassing feat packages, there would be fewer of them, and in return you’d have more baked in core class features and no subclasses.

*edit. I’d also have prerequisites for the feat packages. For example, in order to have the knight package, you’d have to be either a fighter or cleric class. Or to choose arcane magic, you’d need at least a 14 INT.

Last edited:

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Something I'd want if for the races to have a greater impact on the character. I'd give each race (or subrace) a Martial, Arcane, and Divine focus, that would interact with their class powers.

Things like, Dwarves would have Axes (Martial), Stone (Arcane), (i don't know for divine).
A Dwarven Warrior would get a damage bonus with Axes.
A Dwarven Rogue might get to Finesse with light Axes.
Spells with the [Stone] tag would be lower level for wizards. Flesh to Stone is 6th level normally, but for a Dwarven Wizard it's only 5th.
A Dwarven Sorcerer might instead get a Metamagic option that turns Energy Damage into Bashing Damage, as you evoke Stones from the elemental plane of earth instead of Fire or Ice.

I personally like the class system in 5e, though personally I'd tune Subclasses to be a larger part of the overall character. All classes starting their subclass at the same level (2nd probably), and all subclasses having more effect (half OR MORE of your class features being either wholly from or modified by your subclass)
Possibly arranged so that ALL classes get Subclass features at the same levels, SUCH THAT we could make subclasses that apply to more than one class. (Similar to the way the Archetypes work in Starfinder)
Like, if we wanted a Lycanthrope Hunter, for a Lycanthrope heavy campaign, we could create a subclass that worked with most or all classes with as little finagling and additional complications as possible.

mellored

Legend
I personally like the class system in 5e, though personally I'd tune Subclasses to be a larger part of the overall character. All classes starting their subclass at the same level (2nd probably), and all subclasses having more effect (half OR MORE of your class features being either wholly from or modified by your subclass)
Possibly arranged so that ALL classes get Subclass features at the same levels, SUCH THAT we could make subclasses that apply to more than one class. (Similar to the way the Archetypes work in Starfinder)
Like, if we wanted a Lycanthrope Hunter, for a Lycanthrope heavy campaign, we could create a subclass that worked with most or all classes with as little finagling and additional complications as possible.
Sounds like feats and sub-classes combine.

I'm beginning to sensing a theme...

I would make 3 stats strictly offensive stats and 3 stats strictly defensive, and every class would focus on one offensive stat and one defensive stat (although there are benefits for upping the other defensive stats), so something like:

fighter: str/con (some sort of benefit for the longer fights go)
mystic/psychic: int/con (most abilities come from astral projection, where the more con you have, the longer you can project)
channeler: cha/con (channeler of primal spirits=druid)
combat artiste (I am still working on a name): str/dex (includes martial artists and barbarians, I am picturing the martial version of the 5e warlock with "styles" instead of invocations)
assassin: int/dex (studies enemy and uses int for damage, includes hunter rangers and rogues)
psychological warfare (still working on a name): cha/dex (magic subclass is bard, nonmagic subclass is warlord)
champion: str/wis (sees the world as it is and gets boons, based on "champion of what": champion of celestials=paladin, champion of fiends=hellblade, champion of fey=feyblade, champion of primal spirits=totem barbarian, etc.)
wizard: int/wis (all buffs will be based on wisdom)
summoner: cha/wis (most spells will be bonus action spells, so the summoner uses a bonus action to power up the pet, and the summoner's action to make the pet attack; ditto buffs are wisdom)

Of course all that might change by tomorrow, but this is what amuses me now.

Eubani

Legend
I would stop other classes stealing the Fighter's stuff, allow them to do more than hp damage when they attack and separate the advanced/simple fighter into separate classes. Give some other classes simple set ups as well so Fighter does not carry the burden solely. Find a way to depower dex. Add Warlord and direct those that complain about such things to the fact the past editions they want already exist.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Main class
- - subclass

Fighter
- - Ranger
- - Knight
- - Paladin (LG,CG,LE,CE versions)
- - Swashbuckler (could include Archer)
- - Berserker (replaces Barbarian, which becomes a race instead)
Cleric
- - Druid (divine casters, shapeshift comes later)
- - Nature Cleric (covers Shaman, Witch, etc.)
- - War Cleric
Wizard
- - Illusionist
- - Necromancer
- - Sorcerer (different casting mechanics)
Rogue (or Thief)
- - Assassin
- - Bard (rogue with musical powers)
- - Monk
Psionicist

Multi-classing possible between certain classes only, and not easy. Also, multi-classing on a 2e basis rather than additive levels e.g. a 4th-Cleric/4th-Wizard is not an 8th-level character but about equal to a 5th.

Lanefan

Remove ads