D&D (2024) 6e, how would you sort the classes/sub-classs?

mellored

Legend
At first glance, that's a lot of casters: all the Lawfuls, 2-and-a-half out of three of the Neutrals, and as I've no idea what you mean by a "Tactician" class somewhere between 0 and 1 of the Chaotics. Only the Fighter and Assassin are clearly non-casters - wouldn't mind seeing a couple more.
Yea, I agree. 3x3 is a bit restrictive.
There's on pet class for instance. Or alchemist. Or psionics.
And it leaves no room for future mechanic and power sources that someone can come up with.

I still kind of like the 2 track idea split with mechanic/class + theme/power source.

Maybe even 3 tracks, adding (insert name)'s idea of races be more of a thing. Including all the half-races as well.

human 2/elf 2 + aura's 4 + arcane 4 = half-elf bard.
Giant 3/human 3 = goliath.
Elemental 3/human 3 = genasi
elf 5/mermaid 3 = sea elf

Plus new ones, like devil 3/dwarf 5 = dwarf tiefling.

Yaarel

He Mage
If you had full creative control, how would you sort them?

Most importantly, I would split the Wizard class into separate classes with separate spell themes.

A spellcaster that masters different kinds of magic (healing, charm, fire, etcetera) would multiclass.

Once the spell lists split up, it is easy to build concepts like Paladin that has healing, radiant, and divination magic. The Paladin would be a premade multiclass build suggesting which classes to take at which levels. But players would be free to swap in different options according to taste.

Essentially, the 'official' classes are multiclasses schedules presented in a simplified way. But advanced players can easily look under the hood, to design their own classes.

Yaarel

He Mage
Actually, the Paladin also masters telepathic/enchanting mind magic, in the sense of inspiring others plus resistance to fear, and so on.

So, the other thread about the fighter/cleric/rogue/wizard classification got me thinking, and, as I posted there, there are two separate categorizations:

1) Mechanical categories: Martial, Skill, Magic
2) Roles: Fighter, Healer, Skill-monkey, Agent of Change (more commonly referred to as Fighter/Cleric/Rogue/Wizard).

And thought about how to break the class structure down using these concepts.

• Martial
    • Attacker — Barbarian
    • Defender — Paladin
    • Skill Monkey — Monk
    • Agent of Change — Fighter
  • Skilled
    • Attacker — Ranger
    • Defender — Druid
    • Skill Monkey — Rogue
    • Agent of Change — Bard
  • Magic
    • Attacker — Warlock
    • Defender — Cleric
    • Skill Monkey — Sorcerer
    • Agent of Change — Wizard

And it fits together surprisingly well, though I'm a little uncertain on Monk vs Fighter roles in the Martial section. I changed Healer to Defender, as that's the more general umbrella role being served. The Agent of Change should be the one who has the most capability to completely alter any encounter scenario due to the tools they have available. They can "change the scene".

Other than that, you have the Attacker role, whose job is to make things dead, and the Skill Monkey, who can dance around all the rules that the others have to abide by.

The Magic category classes are all full casters. The Martial category are mostly non-casters, but could get 1/3 casting in a subclass, and can push to 1/2 caster on Paladin. The Skilled category is flexible, covering the entire range of non, 1/3, 1/2, and full casting.

Extra Attack shows up in all the Martial classes, as well as the Skilled Attacker (Ranger), and one subclass of Bard. Again the Skilled category shows that it's pulling things from various different areas, depending on specialty.

The mechanical category shapes what sorts of abilities are likely to show up, while the role category shapes how they are likely to be applied. Subclasses would allow you to shape the class into a different role, or a different flavor of the role. (EG: Barbarian Totem and Ancestral Guardian subclasses tend to shift it to a Defender role.)

Anyway, taken this way, instead of just a flat, alphabetical list, it seems much easier to grasp how things would be built. New classes would have to explicitly sit next to existing classes, competing for the same role (and thus having to justify their existence as something other than a subclass), unless you created an entirely new mechanical category. For example, if you added a Crafting mechanic as a class category, you might be able to do something like:

• Crafting
    • Attacker — ???
    • Defender — Alchemist
    • Skill Monkey — Engineer
    • Agent of Change — Artificer
Not sure what to put in the Attacker slot. Which kind of illustrates the difficulty with this expansion approach.

So, suppose you wanted to add a Mystic class. Does it fill a new role? Not really. Does it add a new mechanic? Nope; it can fit under Magic. So it has to sit next to an existing class, and prove that it is unique enough to merit existing that way, or it has to be formed as a subclass. Honestly, it sounds like a reskinned Sorcerer (innate casting class), so I would make it a subclass or alternate implementation of Sorcerer. (Of course, that requires that the classes have to be designed to be able to accept those sorts of modifications.)

Caliburn101

Explorer
I would like to see 6e go from character classes to archetypes, and have 'sub-classes' change to customisable ability/skill trees, allowing more nuanced and yet still balanced character development without the chewy and slightly clumsy multiclassing rules.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
On a slightly broader level, my hope is that any sort of 6e tries to tone down the idea of mechanical representation of one's character in favour of representing it through personality and characterization.

In other words, have fewer classes (and no choose-able feats etc., just baked-in class features gained as you level up) but a lot more instruction and ideas on how to put personality and character into them so that seven different characters all operating on the same mechanical chassis (let's say, seven Warriors) are immediately recognizable as seven distinctly different characters at the table.

Lanefan

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Or why couldn't wizard and sorcerer both be kits of a broader mage class?

That I can live with, as long as that larger mage class was generic enough. If every third level there were scholarly features it would fail at that.

Truth be told, were it up to me I'd put all divine and arcane casters on to a variant of the Sorcerer mechanics (mostly because over the years I've developed a deep dislike of pre-memorization of spells) only with more spells in their repertiore than a Sorcerer normally has. This means the Sorcerer class as its own thing would disappear.

I'm not entirely against getting rid of the sorcerer, but only if that doesn't get rid of actual sorcerers in the process. The distinction between wizard/sorcerer is more than just a mechanical one. There are lots of personal stories that are impossible (or at least extremely awkward when they clash with the mechanics) with the Wizard/Mage/MU the approach to magic of that class just calls for a certain range of PC personalities and more importantly it is voluntary. Coincidentally I've got zero interest on those while I have tons of interest on the ones that aren't.

On a slightly broader level, my hope is that any sort of 6e tries to tone down the idea of mechanical representation of one's character in favour of representing it through personality and characterization.

In other words, have fewer classes (and no choose-able feats etc., just baked-in class features gained as you level up) but a lot more instruction and ideas on how to put personality and character into them so that seven different characters all operating on the same mechanical chassis (let's say, seven Warriors) are immediately recognizable as seven distinctly different characters at the table.

Lanefan

Like I said, I wouldn't have any problem with a trio of generic classes, but they all need to be generic -and WIzard is not and has never been-

Remove ads