D&D 5E A Touch of Class (EN5ider) Follow Up?

Zardnaar

Legend
A while ago ENworld released A Touch of Class which was the EN5ider classes revised. There are over 1000 of us with EN5ider so I am wondering if anyone has played those classes? Our group briefly trialled a noble in one game but apart from that we have not used any of them with perhaps the Morph being a potential contender.

Last edited:

Eubani

Legend
The Alchemist was underwhelming, so many temp items a class like this could make and we get dull over focused not to mention weak.

Zardnaar

Legend
The Alchemist was underwhelming, so many temp items a class like this could make and we get dull over focused not to mention weak.

Yeah IDK what to do to fix the alchemist (rewrite?). Maybe give it rogue level damage like sneak attack that can be applied to AoE grenades etc?

Eubani

Legend
Yeah IDK what to do to fix the alchemist (rewrite?). Maybe give it rogue level damage like sneak attack that can be applied to AoE grenades etc?

rewrite, whilst doing so keep in mind that it can do more than throw explosives. Remember things like Thunder Stones, Tanglefoot bags, Sun Rods. So many things an Alchemist can make before you ever need to look at explosives and spell lists.

jeffh

Adventurer
It may be weak in a straight up fight but it also gets Cure Wounds as a ritual from second level, which is absolutely broken and the first thing that jumped out at me. I'm amazed no-one else has pointed this out, and for that matter that it wasn't caught in editing. Not a good first impression (it's the first class in the book, being the earliest alphabetically).

Partly because of that, I didn't feel like any of these classes except maybe the noble managed to be all of: interesting enough to want to play, balanced enough to want to allow, and implemented in the most straightforward way that would still get the concept across. Overall I was rather disappointed in this book.

Eubani

Legend
It may be weak in a straight up fight but it also gets Cure Wounds as a ritual from second level, which is absolutely broken and the first thing that jumped out at me. I'm amazed no-one else has pointed this out, and for that matter that it wasn't caught in editing. Not a good first impression (it's the first class in the book, being the earliest alphabetically).

Partly because of that, I didn't feel like any of these classes except maybe the noble managed to be all of: interesting enough to want to play, balanced enough to want to allow, and implemented in the most straightforward way that would still get the concept across. Overall I was rather disappointed in this book.
It was spotted but the boringness and otherwise weakness of the class leapt out more so.

Arilyn

Hero
We have been having a lot of fun with these classes. Haven't tried diabolist or shifter, but the others have been a welcome addition at the table. The card caster, fey walker, and noble are probably the most popular. We did not find the alchemist particularly boring, and it's way better than the UA version. The book's not perfect but it's very solid. Also, we found that the creators were often imaginative in coming up with class abilities and archetypes. There are expanded options for some of the classes, including feats, spells, gear and demons. Very happy I picked it up.

Zardnaar

Legend
We have been having a lot of fun with these classes. Haven't tried diabolist or shifter, but the others have been a welcome addition at the table. The card caster, fey walker, and noble are probably the most popular. We did not find the alchemist particularly boring, and it's way better than the UA version. The book's not perfect but it's very solid. Also, we found that the creators were often imaginative in coming up with class abilities and archetypes. There are expanded options for some of the classes, including feats, spells, gear and demons. Very happy I picked it up.

How does the card caster actually work? Have not been able to figure that out due to some of the wording?

Feywalker, Noble and Morph look to be the most playable.

Arilyn

Hero
How does the card caster actually work? Have not been able to figure that out due to some of the wording?

Feywalker, Noble and Morph look to be the most playable.

The card caster has deck of tarot cards and can have a certain number in hand. At earlier levels they must be of the lower numbered cards. The cards in your hand determine which spells you have access to. Each tarot card allows a small group of spells you can choose from, so it's not as chaotic as wild magic. Play a card, choose a spell associated with that card.

It's cool and fun, but you need a tarot deck. I have one, so no problem, but if I didn't add I might be annoyed that the class requires it. You could probably use normal deck of playing cards by translating.

Remove ads