D&D 5E Houserule: +1 ASI for everyone.

During the 5e playtest, races gave +1 to two different ability scores (usually +1 from the core race and +1 to something else from the subraces) and classes gave +1 to their primary score. So all Fighters got +1 Strength, all Wizards got +1 Intelligence, etc. This worked excellently throughout the playtest process and I have no idea why they changed it in the published version. This also seems very similar to your suggested rule. I see no reason your rule wouldn’t work just as well.

I like this rule. Didn't know about it.

It makes a lot of sense to me that someone trained as a fgihter would be stronger or quicker, trained as a wizard more intelligent. As a bard, more charismatic, etc

ad_hoc

(they/them)

It makes a lot of sense to me that someone trained as a fgihter would be stronger or quicker, trained as a wizard more intelligent. As a bard, more charismatic, etc

Right, but that happens anyway.

That’s a reason clutchbone’s rule would work better than the playtest.

I should have been more specific. I was replying to the 'I have no idea why they changed it' comment. I can think of a few reasons.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Yeah, I thought it was odd that they changed it to races giving +2/+1 and classes giving no bounus because the +1\+1 from Race and the +1 from Class was very popular. It was widely praised on the forums and did at least well enough in the polls to make it through every draft of the public playtest. I can only imagine the closed playtesters must have found some issue with it. Maybe discouraging nonstandard class builds like Dex fighters and Str rogues? I dunno. It’s up there with skills not being tied to specific ability scores among features that left me scratching my head why they made it through the full open playtest but not the final release.

Charlaquin

I should have been more specific. I was replying to the 'I have no idea why they changed it' comment. I can think of a few reasons.
I suppose so. It just struck me as odd that those reasons never led them to change it during the open playtest, but still led them to change it for the published rules despite the widely positive response to it.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I suppose so. It just struck me as odd that those reasons never led them to change it during the open playtest, but still led them to change it for the published rules despite the widely positive response to it.

After the open playtest they had quite an extensive closed playtest if I recall.

No reason for another playtest unless it is to change and refine things.

Personally I agree with the change. The classes are likely to have those stats high anyway so they have their identity. Give the races more identity by tying more stats to them.

Charlaquin

After the open playtest they had quite an extensive closed playtest if I recall.

No reason for another playtest unless it is to change and refine things.
Certainly, but that didn’t seem like something that was in need of refinement. It was very well-received publicly, and it functioned well. The fact that the eventual change lead to the same ability score totals indicates that the change wasn’t made for the sake of mathematical balance. The only reason I see is if in the closed playtests it was found to be responsible for discouraging certain builds. But whatever the reason, it came as a surprise to me.

Personally I agree with the change. The classes are likely to have those stats high anyway so they have their identity. Give the races more identity by tying more stats to them.
That’s fine. I preferred the way it worked in the playtest, but that’s all personal preference. For the purpose of the discussion at hand though, the important takeaway is that it worked perfectly well and the majority liked it, so the proposed house rule should work just as well.

Amatiel

Explorer
In my campaigns I run ASI +2 AND a Feat every 4 character levels (rather than class levels).
You loose the ability to learn a Feat for every multi-class.
I haven't run into any problems. Seems to work ok.

Horwath

Legend
Oh yeah, +2s were expected, and also unavoidable with baseline human. Good catch on mountain dwarf. How's this?

Houserule B: Player can choose one additional +1 ASI, up to a maximum of total bonus +2 in any one ability score.

that is problem with baseline human.

They should get no ASI from race. They are the average in abilities.

Race features from humans should have been versatility. extra feats, extra skills, extra tools extra languages. etc...
If human wants ASI at lvl1 they should take "half feat" for it.

My 2c:

Human;
bonus two feats at 1st level.
extra skill proficiency,
extra toll proficiency,
common plus 2 any languages(except secret ones).

Remove ads