D&D 5E Houserule: +1 ASI for everyone.

Antilles123

First Post
In my campaigns I let the players add the racial modifiers to any stats they choose.
I don't like how some people wouldn't play a half-orc wizard because they can't get the Int boost.

Coroc

Hero
It is ok as a houserule, it has never been ok that mountain dwarf get +2 to Str and Constitution, which do not only make them the best fighters which can be debated about, but also the best Barbarians whew thats a new archetype, isnt it? Above Halforc and what is worse above human. I do not care if the dwarf has 5hp more per Level than any other race due to constitution or hardiness, but he ain't stronger than an halforc and they aint stronger than a human on average.

(and besides that their female have beards :)*)

*Joke!

CTurbo

Explorer
I LOVE the idea of class ASIs as long as it doesn't equal starting with 18 in the main stat. I would love to see a broader selection or race/class combos like the Goliath Wizard mentioned recently.

Li Shenron

Legend
Goal: to mechanically encourage a broader variety race/class combos.

Houserule A: Racial +2 ASIs are reduced to +1.
Houserule B: Player can choose one additional +1 ASI [edit], up to a maximum of total bonus +2 in any one ability score.

I don't see any problem with this house rule.

Although to be honest, I also think it hardly matters to move a +1 when the scores are either randomly generated or already freely adjustable by point-buy. And even if you use standard arrays, the change is not that big.

clutchbone

First Post
I don't see any problem with this house rule.

Although to be honest, I also think it hardly matters to move a +1 when the scores are either randomly generated or already freely adjustable by point-buy. And even if you use standard arrays, the change is not that big.

In my anecdotal experience, the +1 is enough to sway most players to pick an elf wizard over a dwarf wizard. I just smoothing out the system a bit for players I know that like a concept, but hold back because of the crunch.

Li Shenron

Legend
In my anecdotal experience, the +1 is enough to sway most players to pick an elf wizard over a dwarf wizard. I just smoothing out the system a bit for players I know that like a concept, but hold back because of the crunch.

It's probably more about perception but if it yields the effect you're looking for, just go for it! :)

Remove ads