D&D 5E Non-Battlemaster disarming

Yardiff

Adventurer
Is there a rule for someone, other then the Battlemaster, doing a disarm? I looked but didnt see anything.
Thanks for help.

Tallifer

Hero
I allow opposed Ability checks for almost anything off the wall. It is usually fair, because any Class specializing in such an action usually has a better chance of success than a straight Ability check or even a Skill check.

Bitting the snake.jpg

neogod22

Explorer
I would have the player do a grapple check (contested) to grab the opposing opponents weapon arm, then a second one to try and pull the weapon free. I don't have the DMG in front of me, so I think that would be a fair option that doesn't make the battlemaster useless.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I would have the player do a grapple check (contested) to grab the opposing opponents weapon arm, then a second one to try and pull the weapon free. I don't have the DMG in front of me, so I think that would be a fair option that doesn't make the battlemaster useless.

The DMG disarm requires you to give up one weapon attack. The Battle Master, on the other hand, can disarm while not only not giving up an attack, but while adding extra damage to said disarming attack.

So, no, the Battle Master isn't useless with DMG disarm in play. Far from it.

redrick

First Post

Yeah, this is my informal way of extending the Grapple rules. A successful Grapple is a precondition for all sorts of other improvised non-sword-swinging moves, which can then be performed with another contested ability check and an Attack Action. If I remember correctly, there is a feat that allows things like throws to be done as a bonus action after a successful grapple, and I'm cool with that. (Any athletic type can attempt a basic grab and then throw against another creature, but performing a sophisticated judo throw as one fluid action takes specialized skill.)

Remove ads