D&D (2024) Weapon Mastery: would it be simpler if it was just battlemasters maneuvers at-will without adding dice bonus?

Horwath

Legend
1. Why this idea?
Well, to keep one additional set of rules from tracking.
It's simpler.

2. Ability is keyed of players broad skill not of specific weapon.
This reduces headache for DMs when designing loot and no need to worry about what mastery what player wants on his magic weapon.

How would it work?

Simple,
As now every martial class would learn a number of maneuvers as current mastery "slots"

But, this list would be reduced a little for balance sake, any maneuver that gives only bonus from dice rolled(with any modifier included) would simple be removed from this option.
What would not make the cut?:
Ambush, Commanding presence, Evasive footwork, Feinting attack, Lunging attack(this would just be simple reach boost), Parry(there is a feat for that), Precision attack, Rally, Tactical assessment,

3. Most of this would work in situations where martials are disarmed or do not have choice weapon at hand. Rare occasions, but they occur. Maybe some diplomatic meeting.

4. Battlemaster would add it's "mastery" maneuvers to it's subclass known, but still would have limit what can be used at-will and what require spending of a die.
That means that high level battlemaster would know 15 maneuvers. Some usable at will, and all usable with added die from subclass.

5. this would prevent current UA bladelock from having all masteries known for all weapons with a cost of a Bonus action.

Horwath

Legend
It's the one thing which came out of the early playtests with widespread appeal. Weapon Masteries are in the 2024 edition. I don't think there is any reason to re-hash that. That ship sailed over a month ago I think.
don't get me wrong, I like the idea of weapon masteries, but could it be made more simpler and easier to use?

most of masteries are just maneuvers with different wording:

Topple: trip attack
Cleave: sweeping attack
Push: pushing attack
Vex: feinting attack
Slow: poor mans trip
Nick: should be sorted by fighting styles or feats or by default
Sap: only one remotely original
Graze: poor mans precision attack
Flex: deleted, hahahaha!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
don't get me wrong, I like the idea of weapon masteries, but could it be made more simpler and easier to use?

most of masteries are just maneuvers with different wording:

Topple: trip attack
Cleave: sweeping attack
Push: pushing attack
Vex: feinting attack
Slow: poor mans trip
Nick: should be sorted by fighting styles or feats or by default
Sap: only one remotely original
Graze: poor mans precision attack
Flex: deleted, hahahaha!
I am saying it's done. It's been through multiple playtests, and they're done with that one. The playtest has to finish stuff, and that one is finished already.

Horwath

Legend
I am saying it's done. It's been through multiple playtests, and they're done with that one. The playtest has to finish stuff, and that one is finished already.
yeah, probably.

maybe better would be to use current UA mechanics but make it weapon agnostic and use it on any weapon that is applicable.

I.E.
If you know Mastery Push, apply it to any weapon that you attack with that has Heavy, Two handed or Versatile property
Same for Vex, any weapon with Ammunition, Finesse or Light property

Then 9th level fighter can get Ability to apply two masteries to same attack that are learned, if they both apply to same weapon that is,
But as 9th level fighter knows 4 out of 8 total masteries, that should not be a problem. And 5th mastery is only one level away.

Valetudo

Explorer
Weapon masteries would be better off if they weren't attached to weapons. They would be better off being learned and then whatever properties on the actual weapon decide whether you can use the w. m. With the weapon. Then you let the fighter use 2 at once at later levels or use masteries that you normally cant. Just my opinion. But I also think battle master should be core, so they dont agree with me.

mellored

Legend
Part of weapon mastery is to make each weapon feel different. If you find a +3 Longsword, that's going to play different than a +3 battleaxe.

And no, a fighter shouldn't be able to apply two per attack. They can apply more effects with extra attacks.

Though I do think they should be able to switch easier. Possibly at the start of their turn.

grimmgoose

Explorer
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like Weapon Masteries.

I play with a large group, and juggling the different weapon effects for 4+ Martials is already exhausting in our playtests. Having to remember which specific enemy has "Slow" on it, or constantly adding extra rolls with "Topple", or remembering you have advantage after "Vex".

I think that "Encounter-based" (yes, I miss 4E) abilities that are more impactful would be a more preferable system for me. Instead of "Slow", you have an ability that you can use as a reaction to completely stop an enemy's movement! Easier to remember (at least to me).

I will say though, if it's "Weapon Masteries or Nothing" I'll keep Weapon Masteries, but I don't find them at all interesting or well-designed.

Here's a perspective I don't see much of....

I like the Battle Master's tech that comes with being able to mix Weapon Masteries with their Maneuvers.

Why not just enjoy being able to use Pushing Attack and Topple together?

dave2008

Legend
Part of weapon mastery is to make each weapon feel different. If you find a +3 Longsword, that's going to play different than a +3 battleaxe.

And no, a fighter shouldn't be able to apply two per attack. They can apply more effects with extra attacks.

Though I do think they should be able to switch easier. Possibly at the start of their turn.
Hmmm, I think I will allow them to switch on each attack. It makes having extra attacks mean something a bit more interesting for the fighter. I was having trouble with all martials getting weapon masteries, but this idea fixes that for me I think. It makes the fighter a bit more special as, well, a fighter! Thank you!

Remove ads