D&D (2024) Should shields, like Simple weapons be available to all characters?

Should shields, like Simple weapons be available to all characters?

Horwath

Legend
Something like:

COMBAT TRAINING
Background Feat

You grow up learning to fight alongside the adults who defend your community. You are a young member of a combat group, such as the warriors of your family clan, the army reserves of your town, the students of a military academy, or the enthusiasts of a combat sports organization.

Choose three of the following benefits:

• Proficiency with all Simple Weapons
• Proficiency with one Martial Weapon, or all Martial Weapons if you choose this option thrice
• Unarmed Strike deals 1d4 damage, or 1d6 if you choose this option twice
• Use of any proficient weapon as your spellcasting focus

The following count as two choices:

• Training with Shields
• Training with Light Armor
• One cantrip that deals damage

Repeatable. You can take this feat more than once.

Note. Four choices is fine, but three choices is on the safe side.
is this free or you actually need to spend background feat for this?

Yaarel

He Mage
is this free or you actually need to spend background feat for this?
Yeah, this is spending the Background Feat for it.

On the other hand, the feature of all simple weapons proficiency and other class features are considered to derive from this Background. So class feature swaps are possible.

Horwath

Legend
Yeah, this is spending the Background Feat for it.

On the other hand, the feature of all simple weapons proficiency and other class features are considered to derive from this Background. So class feature swaps are possible.
I would take this only if it gives all 7 bullet points.
Or just take my chances with Tough as a caster.

Yaarel

He Mage
Background "Combat Training" Feat ≈

Wizard: all simple weapons proficiency + one cantrip
Fighter: all simple weapons proficiency + light armor training
Cleric: all simple weapons proficiency + light armor training
Rogue: all simple weapons proficiency + light armor training
Etcetera

In other words, there defacto exists a separate additional "Combat Training" Feat, during the Background, that all classes share in common.

These class features would come from the items (bullet points) of this Combat Training Feat.

As such, during the Background, it is possible to swap around the items of this Combat Training. For example, the Wizard-to-be can swap out the one cantrip to gain shield training instead, or light armor training instead.

All level zero "Background" characters have the Combat Training Feat in addition to the Background Feat. They can also use the Background Feat to acquire an additional Combat Training Feat.

Yaarel

He Mage
BACKGROUND: LEVEL ZERO CHARACTER

Species
• All Traits

Abilities
• Standard Array (or 4d6 Drop Lowest or Point Buy)

Stats
• Speed: 30 feet + bonus if any from species or feat
• AC: 10 + Dexterity + Shield if any + Light Armor if any
• Saves: no save proficiencies, but apply ability bonuses
• Hit Points: 5 or 1d8 if Medium Size (or 4 or 1d6 if Small Size) + Constitution

Languages
• Common plus two languages of your choice (typically one relating to your species and one to your background)

Background
• Background Feat
• Ability Improvements
• Proficiency with two skills of your choice
• Proficiency with one tool of your choice
• Starting equipment (50 gp if default setting)

Combat Training
• Combat Training Feat (choices for this feat replace equivalent class features, such as Wizard replacing simple weapons and one cantrip)

COMBAT TRAINING FEAT
Background Feat

You grow up learning to fight alongside the adults who defend your community. You are a young member of a combat group, such as the warriors of your family clan, the army reserves of your town, the students of a military academy, or the enthusiasts of a combat sports organization.

Choose three of the following benefits:

• Proficiency with all Simple Weapons
• Proficiency with one Martial Weapon, or all Martial Weapons if you choose this option thrice
• Unarmed Strike deals 1d4 damage, or 1d6 if you choose this option twice
• Use of any proficient weapons as your spellcasting focus

The following count as two choices:

• Training with Shields
• Training with Light Armor
• One cantrip that deals damage

Repeatable. You can take this feat more than once.

Note. Your choices for the Combat Training Feat during your Background replace the equivalent features of your later choice of class, such as of Wizard (simple weapons proficiency and one cantrip) or of Fighter (simple weapons proficiency and either light armor training or shield training).

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
I like the way it is now, where any character can use a shields but not all characters are proficient.

I voted "yes" on the poll, but in that respect I do not want to hand out shield proficiency to everyone, I just want them to be able to use shields like they can currently (with disadvantage on strength/dexterity attacks/saves/checks as well as no ability to cast spells if not proficient).

I think the same should be true for weapons. TBH I would like to see them remove all weapon proficiencies from Wizards and Sorcerers. They can still use any weapon they want, but don't get to add proficiency bonus.

This is how I would distribute weapon proficiencies:
Fighters: Proficiency in all weapons, including Simple, Martial, Siege Weapons, Improvised Weapons and any magical or high tech weapons like lasers or modern firearms etc. If it is a weapon of any sort fighters get to add their PB to the attack roll.

Paladin/Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue/Monk: Simple and Martial weapons

Cleric/Druid/Warlock/Artificer/Bard: Simple Weapons

Sorcerer/Wizard: No weapons

I would also take away all weapon and armor proficiencies on caster multiclasses.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I like the way it is now, where any character can use a shields but not all characters are proficient.

I voted "yes" on the poll, but in that respect I do not want to hand out shield proficiency to everyone, I just want them to be able to use shields like they can currently (with disadvantage on strength/dexterity attacks/saves/checks as well as no ability to cast spells if not proficient).

I think the same should be true for weapons. TBH I would like to see them remove all weapon proficiencies from Wizards and Sorcerers. They can still use any weapon they want, but don't get to add proficiency bonus.

This is how I would distribute weapon proficiencies:
Fighters: Proficiency in all weapons, including Simple, Martial, Siege Weapons, Improvised Weapons and any magical or high tech weapons like lasers or modern firearms etc. If it is a weapon of any sort fighters get to add their PB to the attack roll.

Paladin/Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue/Monk: Simple and Martial weapons

Cleric/Druid/Warlock/Artificer/Bard: Simple Weapons

Sorcerer/Wizard: No weapons

I would also take away all weapon and armor proficiencies on caster multiclasses.
I do not get this fear of wizards having weapons.

do you really thing that a wizard with no armor, d6 HD, 8 STR, no extra attack(s), no attack riders, no fighting styles and now no masteries is a real threat with greatsword in melee combat?

+1 attack with 2d6-1 damage?!
Les'ts say with 14 dex and 14 con, that is 8HP and 12 AC, 15 with mage armor.

Wow, we better call fighters, they are deleted from 2024 because of wizards epic sword skills.

mellored

Legend
I do not get this fear of wizards having weapons.

do you really thing that a wizard with no armor, d6 HD, 8 STR, no extra attack(s), no attack riders, no fighting styles and now no masteries is a real threat with greatsword in melee combat?
Wizards are not force to gave 8 Str.
Mage armor and Shield can add defense.
Bladesinger gets multiple attack at 6.
Elemental weapon is a damage add, or Haste, or Foresight.
Plenty of spells don't need Int.

Still probably not going to match a fighter, but could do better than you might expect.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'm not sure worrying about a small percentage of arcane casters is worth the time, however. Most of those things can be used by an Eldritch Knight (and better, since they natively have better AC options), and casting Haste on one's self is pretty risky, given what happens if you lose concentration.

Remove ads