D&D (2024) Weapon masteries should really be linked to weapon properties, not to specific weapons!

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
I have to agree with the OP and several other folks in this thread. Just make "Weapon Mastery" a self-contained class feature whose text says you get to do X with every weapon that falls into category Y.

Like the Crossbow Expert feat, which works just fine without having to assign a "crossbow expert" property to every crossbow in the game.

Or the Defensive Duelist feat, which works just fine without having to assign a "defensive duelist" property to every finesse weapon in the game.

Or just about any other mechanic that lets you do something cool with weapons of a certain type. I don't know why Weapon Mastery is the only one that thinks it needs to attach weapon property tags to everything.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
One of the big complaints was that every weapon felt the same.

I mean, there are 8 one handed weapons that deal 1d8 damage.

Now each one has a unique feature.
This. I feel like a lot of these criticisms of Weapon Mastery ignore or overlook what the system is designed to do.

Golf bag is not a bug, it’s a feature.

I'd probably like weapon masteries to be tied to the character. Learned like cantrips. And then specifying weapon groups to be usable with them.

So of you like vex and nick, chose a light melee slashing weapon. Etc.

Horwath

Legend
One of the big complaints was that every weapon felt the same.

I mean, there are 8 one handed weapons that deal 1d8 damage.

Now each one has a unique feature.
I'll come along with a topic about inconsistency and non-logic in weapons table also, but not in this topic.

Horwath

Legend
I have to agree with the OP and several other folks in this thread. Just make "Weapon Mastery" a self-contained class feature whose text says you get to do X with every weapon that falls into category Y.

Like the Crossbow Expert feat, which works just fine without having to assign a "crossbow expert" property to every crossbow in the game.

Or the Defensive Duelist feat, which works just fine without having to assign a "defensive duelist" property to every finesse weapon in the game.

Or just about any other mechanic that lets you do something cool with weapons of a certain type. I don't know why Weapon Mastery is the only one that thinks it needs to attach weapon property tags to everything.
This exactly.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In my opinion, almost one's going to lug around that many weapons because the effects of Weapon Mastery are not that big that it will warrant feeling the need for the "perfect weapon" for every single combat. And those players who would do something like that are already playing Battlemasters and have had even better and more powerful "weapon mastery"-type effects this entire time.

It's the same reason why we haven't had 10 years of players constantly clamoring for more characters to gain a second Fighting Style-- because while Fighting Styles were nice, their abilities were not so important that having a second one felt at all necessary or that we were missing something.

Remove ads