Rules Cyclopedia Of Basic D&D Now In Print

My all-time favorite D&D book ever. I love this thing. I got it new when it first came out and have had a few copies over the years as others were lost or wore out.

My first games was with AD&D 2nd ed, so this is "before my time". I do have a question:

I know that the Cyclopedia is a reorg of BECMI (and that the I, ie immortal rules, aren't there)... but can someone explain to me the differences between BX and BECMI? Some people seem to be making a big deal out of that, but I haven't been able to find out what the big distinction is...
Jeez hard to say, but B/X goes to level 14, and doesn't include much extras. Well written, for the time, and covers all the basics (classes, equip, magic items, monsters). Thieves max out at level 14, with the idea of new abilities in the never written Companion set (heaps of OSR have made a B/X Companion tho). A Map of Karamerikos with a bit of info

BECMI/RC has a lot of extra, new classes (Druid, Monk), sub classes (Paladin, etc), more and in depth rules on all the good DnD stuff (water travel, planar travel, strongholds, mass combat), attack ranks for demi-humans (cos humans go all the way to 36), weapon mastery making Fighters way better, a ton more monsters, spells (incl level 7 up) and magic items. The Thief gets screwed as his already pathetic skills chances are dragged out over double or more levels, saves are dragged out for everyone. More maps of The Known World (laterly known as Mystara) and more info on different areas.

B/X has got all you need (think 5E basic rules) BECMI/RC has the PHB, DMG, MM, Volo, XGtE, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

hedgeknight

Explorer
This news makes me very happy! Like an idiot, I sold my only copy a few years ago and have regretted it since. And the prices for one on "Feebay" are ridiculous. Happy gaming, folks!

I never played this, I had the original blue box basic rules and then bought the AD&D books and never looked back. There are so many retro clones out there that use these rules that they also have been generally available. I still bought the POD hardcover just to have the original rules all in one place. I also now own the 0D&D rule vooksmthat I slowly picked up over time.

MPA2000

Explorer
The writeup neglects to mention Aaron Allston's contribution to the Rules Cyclopedia (which is why the Immortal rules weren't included in it) of cleaning up a lot of the rules and adding material from his Hollow World and Gazetteers that greatly expanded the scope of the rules from what had been presented in the BECM boxed sets.

The write up above? Aaron's name is mentioned three times at least?

MPA2000

Explorer
My first games was with AD&D 2nd ed, so this is "before my time". I do have a question:

I know that the Cyclopedia is a reorg of BECMI (and that the I, ie immortal rules, aren't there)... but can someone explain to me the differences between BX and BECMI? Some people seem to be making a big deal out of that, but I haven't been able to find out what the big distinction is...

I believe that BX might mean Basic and expert editions? Bas was introductory and was meant for play at very low levels. Expert was for experienced players. The BECMI, I think may have revised rules, but I know it was developed by Frank Metzner. This included the Basic and Experts (BE) and Companion and Masters (CM). The C and M were for veterans with high experience levels (up 36th level)!

Immortal was something completely different, as Frank decided make Immortals playable characters. There were two ways to get an Immortal character your high level character can attempt to get his Immortal to sponsor him, or the DM can just let you role one up. Regular mortal characters can attain up to 36th level, but Immortals were NOT 37th level and higher.

Nope they were an entirely different kind of player character altogether.

Of course then Aaron Allston came along and revised things further with the Rules Cyclopedia, which was equivalent to a hardcopy BECM. The Immortals part was replaced with Wrath of the Immortals rulebook.

Zardnaar

Legend
I believe that BX might mean Basic and expert editions? Bas was introductory and was meant for play at very low levels. Expert was for experienced players. The BECMI, I think may have revised rules, but I know it was developed by Frank Metzner. This included the Basic and Experts (BE) and Companion and Masters (CM). The C and M were for veterans with high experience levels (up 36th level)!

Immortal was something completely different, as Frank decided make Immortals playable characters. There were two ways to get an Immortal character your high level character can attempt to get his Immortal to sponsor him, or the DM can just let you role one up. Regular mortal characters can attain up to 36th level, but Immortals were NOT 37th level and higher.

Nope they were an entirely different kind of player character altogether.

Of course then Aaron Allston came along and revised things further with the Rules Cyclopedia, which was equivalent to a hardcopy BECM. The Immortals part was replaced with Wrath of the Immortals rulebook.

B/X is basic and expert pre mentzer, BECMI for example nerfed the thief for example stretching out the skills over 36 levels while the old thief got high skills by level 14. Nerfing the weakest class.........

Also level 14 is a nice end point for D&D and the MI part in particular may as well have not existed.

Remove ads

Remove ads