Rules Cyclopedia Of Basic D&D Now In Print

My all-time favorite D&D book ever. I love this thing. I got it new when it first came out and have had a few copies over the years as others were lost or wore out.

R

RevTurkey

UK friendly at least. I ordered a copy...it's a no brainer for me...just such a complete edition and very playable ruleset...hope the quality is ok. I bet this wipes out a lot of OSR clone sales.

Fandabidozi

Explorer
Lol, no problem. I googled and it was 2012 the reprints came out so maybe we could see another run printed sooner or later.
I'm in Australia so that pretty much rules out getting anything shipped from abroad - the postage is insane.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I bet this wipes out a lot of OSR clone sales.

I don't know about that. The D&D Rules Cyclopedia is pretty weighty when compared to a lot of the B/X OSR clone games out there. Things may have changed recently - I stopped really delving into clones a few years ago when I realized that my OSR itch was entirely satisfied by either breaking out my own copy of the Cyclopedia or pulling out my copies of the Moldvay/Cook B/X books and I didn't really need a clone to run a game by the old rules. But when I was looking before most of the clones seemed to be inspired more by the Moldvay/Cook B/X set and not so much the Metnzer BECMI let alone the Allston reorg and refocus of the Rules Cyclopedia.

reelo

Hero
I'm considering running either RC or a retroclone sometime soon.

One thing that bugs me with the RC is the thief skill progression. Most retroclonesfix that one way or the other. I think the best way to run is to mix/match different mechanics from different clones (ACKS, LL, LotFP, etc)

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
IIRC the original Rules Cyclopedia had but one printing and an errata was never incorporated into available .pdfs. You can find a errata here: https://www.acaeum.com/library/cyclopedia_errata.pdf

It would be nice to see this errata incorporated into a new printing. Perhaps if this sells well.

So long as they also include the tournament rules from the Companion set that were omitted for space reasons, I'm down with paying more for the new printing too.

I dislike all-in-one printings that are not faithful enough to include all original content as most folks would never realize the difference.

Von Ether

Legend
UK friendly at least. I ordered a copy...it's a no brainer for me...just such a complete edition and very playable ruleset...hope the quality is ok. I bet this wipes out a lot of OSR clone sales.

First since most OSR "sales" are free PDFs, I love to see something that puts numbers to the phenomenon. I know a lot of people think the OSR is an ice cube in the sea. I think that's just the tip of an iceberg.

I'd love to use ACKs' custom class rules with Basic to make specialized race classes. And Kevin Crawford's Scarlet Hero rules for one-on-one play would great too.

If anything, some OSR sales may actually spike.

R

RevTurkey

First since most OSR "sales" are free PDFs, I love to see something that puts numbers to the phenomenon. I know a lot of people think the OSR is an ice cube in the sea. I think that's just the tip of an iceberg.

I'd love to use ACKs' custom class rules with Basic to make specialized race classes. And Kevin Crawford's Scarlet Hero rules for one-on-one play would great too.

If anything, some OSR sales may actually spike.

Hope OSR sales increase...I’m a fan. Bought a couple in print this week as well as the RC...I guess it could work in their favour as well and grow that market if people enjoy the original editions and start to experiment with close but different games in the same vein. It’s all good...I didn’t mean to sound overly negative btw.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Quite cool, though this got a bit heavy IMO compared to the prior edition of B/X. Wish I could get my group into this or one of the OSR clones, but they are too indoctrinated by these dang later rule sets that make it easy for them. ;) May pick this up just to have a physical copy.

Remove ads

Remove ads