Help with Druid's Moral Discussion

I'd lay good odds that the entire issue is due to miscommunication. You probably thought that you were being quite clear as to what you were implying when you gave that description.
However the player may not have picked up on it in the way that you assumed that they would, and thought that killing the wolves was what you were saying should be done.

Before you drop any sort of repercussions on the character, talk to your player and find out what they thought that they were doing.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You don't generate a code for a character to prevent them from taking certain actions. You generate the code so the character runs into conflicts with the code, and gets to roleplay how the code has influenced their actions. Roleplaying the druid feeling guilty about killing the wolves, or justifying it as a necessary deterrent due to the wolves being tainted by unnatural evil, is one of the points of playing the game!

If I were the druid I would say that these wolves were tainted by corruption and needed to be purged for the well being of the forest. Or something like that. One thing that burns me is when other players tell me how to play my character. Unless it was a grievous act that somehow is pivotal for the Druid's story arc, jot it down as a learning experience and move on. Tell the other players to tend to their own business.

I'd have other druids confront him about the event. It's a great RP opportunity. Depending on how your campaign is structured, there could be pressure and fallout from the slaying of the wolves...or not. I'm firmly in the camp that a player's actions should have realistic consequences. Otherwise, why pretend that the player's choices have any meaning?

Okay, how do said druids know the event happened and know the event happened in enough detail to ask questions?

The party was attacked by wolves, they were possessed and I am guessing fighting to kill and acting out of nature for a wolf by not fleeing when injured or when the alpha is killed. Then at a specific moment the party druid and the druid alone (per the OP) sensed relief in one or more of the wolves.

So how do some high minded nosey NPC druids find out about this, and in such a way that makes them feel self righteous enough to go put the party druid on trial?

The druid killed them because in typical movie fashion he sensed relief from the wolves that their tortured existence while under the control of evil was about to end. No reason for the Druid or anyone else in the party to think the control was going to end just because they were knocked out.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Maybe the don't! Maybe they use divination magic! People talk! Druids form a community and keep tabs on one other as they form a unified front to protect nature and seek balance with the world. Maybe the spirits of the wolves manifest in such a way that it brings attention. Elder druids are WISE, they know things. It's D&D and there are countless ways for this to happen...or not happen. I simply said what I'd do, but that isn't to say that my way is the only way. Each table has their own style. It sounded to me like the DM wanted to address it in some way (otherwise why post about it). At our table, if something like this happened and I had "high-minded nosey NPC druids" confront the PC, that'd be par for the course. My table expects that kind of fallout (and generally enjoys it). To each their own, brother.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Sounds to me like the player interpreted "...a feeling of relief" as "...we are controlled by evil and want to be free". And the easiest way to do that was to kill them. I get that.

What I want to know is...what did the Druid do after that? Sneer, wipe the blood off his blade on their fur, mutter 'huh...stupid wolves...' and walk away? Or did he immediately drop to his knees, offer a somber prayer to his deity/nature, and then proceed to skin them all so as to not have their deaths be totally meaningless?

If the former...yeah, that Druid has some 'splainin to do to the nature powers that be. If the later...great. As expected.

Druids are all about living in harmony with nature and not taking advantage of it. Use it...don't abuse it! ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Maybe the don't! Maybe they use divination magic! People talk! Druids form a community and keep tabs on one other as they form a unified front to protect nature and seek balance with the world. Maybe the spirits of the wolves manifest in such a way that it brings attention. Elder druids are WISE, they know things. It's D&D and there are countless ways for this to happen...or not happen. I simply said what I'd do, but that isn't to say that my way is the only way. Each table has their own style. It sounded to me like the DM wanted to address it in some way (otherwise why post about it). At our table, if something like this happened and I had "high-minded nosey NPC druids" confront the PC, that'd be par for the course. My table expects that kind of fallout (and generally enjoys it). To each their own, brother.

Sounds to me like he posted it because at least one other player got his nose out of joint, forgot who was the DM, and started making proclamations about how HE would have done it.

The only correct answer here is the DM should do whatever the DM wants to do, and then to follow up he should have a private conversation with whatever other player decided to announce he would effectively kill the Druid and remind him that he is not the DM and if he wants to run a game then he should do so on his own time and stop making disruptive comments at the table.

The big dilemma is not the druid killing wolves, it is other players commenting in ways they should not. Either the player said something out of character that is rude and is going to cause friction between him and the druid player or you take what he said in character which amounts to "what druid would kill wild animals like that. I hope you suffer for it" and now means the druid can quite logically feel at least some of his party does not have his back and maybe that mouthy character isnt worth sticking the druids neck out to save if it risks the druids life.

Last edited:

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Sounds to me like he posted it because at least one other player got his nose out of joint, forgot who was the DM, and started making proclamations about how HE would have done it.

The only correct answer here is the DM should do whatever the DM wants to do, and then to follow up he should have a private conversation with whatever other player decided to announce he would effectively kill the Druid and remind him that he is not the DM and if he wants to run a game then he should do so on his own time and stop making disruptive comments at the table.

I don't know if I'd need to be that dramatic about it, but I understand your point. I'd probably be more along the lines of, "Hey, I'm still learning here, but this is what I think... Maybe in the future you could save your critiques for after the game and let me reflect on it" and move on. :)

I don't know if I'd need to be that dramatic about it, but I understand your point. I'd probably be more along the lines of, "Hey, I'm still learning here, but this is what I think... Maybe in the future you could save your critiques for after the game and let me reflect on it" and move on. :)

True, tone and situation are hard to read in posts. At the most basic level the player did just say he would have destroyed the druids character.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases