Help with Druid's Moral Discussion

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Deer, Rabbits, and all sorts of animals that Wolves prey on thank the Druid for his fine work.

More seriously, why would deaths of animals bother a druid? Death and decay is an integral part of the natural world.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Deer, Rabbits, and all sorts of animals that Wolves prey on thank the Druid for his fine work.

More seriously, why would deaths of animals bother a druid? Death and decay is an integral part of the natural world.

I think there's a distinction of natural death of an animal via the whole circle of life thing and humans killing animals that druids would care about in this context. I would hope that after the druid killed the wolves that they would follow-up on who (or what) was controlling the wolves. That has to stop.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I think there's a distinction of natural death of an animal via the whole circle of life thing and humans killing animals that druids would care about in this context. I would hope that after the druid killed the wolves that they would follow-up on who (or what) was controlling the wolves. That has to stop.

I agree that the Druid would care about the corruption of the Wolves and would want to stop that pronto.

But I still think a druid could not get worked up over killing some wolves and still be a perfectly fine druid.

"Many druids pursue a mystic spirituality of transcendent union with nature rather than devotion to a divine entity, while others serve gods of wild nature, animals, or elemental forces."

Druids don't have to care about animals, it's written right into the PHB. You can be a druid who is concerned about the patterns of raging storms, focused on ancient traditions and herb lore, or just protecting sacred sites. Elemental forces is even the first thing mentioned in the "Preserving the Balance" section, before it moves on to talk about preserving ecologies and animals. It's much easier to relate to animals, of course, so animal druids get a lot of attention.

Remove ads