D&D 5E Looking for a "Nature Wizard" Subclass [+]

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Ah, just saw that you mentioned they're Wildfire, and leaning pretty heavily into the healing/support angle. It would thus be nice to get flexibility from the Wizard levels.

Are you comfortable with homebrew? I've got some ideas simmering already, but if that's not something you (or the player) are into, no point in taking it further.

Came across this on reddit:

There are lots of nature themed Wizard spells already:

Cantrips: Poison Spray, True Strike (animal aspect); Light (planetary cycle); Chill Touch, Shocking Grasp, Ray of Frost, Acid Splash, Fire Bolt (elements)

1st level: Find Familiar (animals); Fog Cloud and Thunderwave (weather), Longstrider (terrain or animal aspect); Jump, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall (animal aspect); Sleep and Ray of Sickness (life); Burning Hands (elements)

2nd level: Spider Climb, Web, Darkvision (animal aspect); Gust of Wind (weather); Misty Step (weather aspect); Blindness/Deafness, Ray of Enfeeblement (life); Darkness (planetary cycle); Gentle Repose (natural death); Continual Flame, Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray (elements);

3rd level: Water Breathing, Fly, Feign Death (animal aspect); Stinking Cloud (terrain); Sleet Storm, Lightning Bolt (weather); Gaseous Form (weather aspect); Fear, Haste, Slow (life); Fireball (elements)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I know you said Wizard, but an Alchemist Artificer that instead of potions uses seeds, pollens and poultices may be a good angle

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Solasta has a good nature themed wizard. Gives you a few bow abilities along with adding many Druid spells to your list. That would be my starting point for a subclass IMO. I think it’s called green mage.

We could homebrew more but without knowing what you/your player wants it’s like throwing darts at a wall.

One thing that might be more universal. Since the spell book was a gift it could have a few homebrew nature themed spells that the player/you collaborate on.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
If he’s playing a Circle of Wildfire Druid, maybe he should just multiclass to a College of Evocation Wizard, focusing on fire-themed spells. Although I would recommend the OneD&D version from UA7.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Yep, homebrew it's welcome. I'm probably gonna tweak and adjust stuff to suit the player already.
Okay. This is super rough, having just thrown it together over the last 90 minutes or so. Partial list of suggested Wizard spells (or, if you feel like giving the "you get cheaper scribing with X spells" thing, this is a decent list to start with); I favored spells that used something akin to fire, e.g. illusion, invisibility, floating (as on a thermal column), etc., but also a few staple Wizard spells and some nice rituals that I think a "naturalist" type spellcaster would want to know. I picked message mostly because I was surprised it wasn't a Druid spell already; whispering a message on the wind that only your intended recipient can hear just seems very druidic to me! I stuck to only 10 spells per level to force myself to stay on-theme.

This subclass probably isn't balanced for general usage, but for this specific character it'll probably be fine.

Cantrips:
fire bolt, green-flame blade, mage hand, message, prestidigitation

1st:
chromatic orb, comprehend languages (rit), disguise self, feather fall, find familiar (rit), grease, shield, silent image, silvery barbs, sleep

2nd:
Aganazzar's scorcher, alter self, blur, borrowed knowledge, dragon's breath, invisibility, levitate, mirror image, pyrotechnics, rope trick

3rd:
Ashardalon's stride, counterspell, fireball, fly, haste, Leomund's tiny hut, Melf's minute meteors, phantom steed, sending, thunder step
Wizardry is associated with dusty libraries and mouldering tomes, but the school of Ecology proves that some are willing to get their hands dirty--by actually touching dirt. Their studies grant them both knowledge of the practical world and esoteric secrets overlooked by their shut-in brethren, uncovering the secret power of ley line magic.

Naturally Skilled
When you adopt this tradition at 2nd level, you gain proficiency in the Nature skill. If you were already proficient in the Nature skill, you instead gain Expertise with Nature.

Ley Communion
Starting at 2nd level, you begin to uncover the secret power of ley lines. You can use your bonus action to tap into and commune with the nearest confluence, which provides the following benefits while you are communing with it, up to a maximum of 1 minute:
  • If you have more than one spellcasting ability, such as from multiclassing with another spellcasting class, you may use the highest spellcasting ability modifier for all spell attack rolls, saving throws, and other effects which depend on spellcasting ability.
  • You have advantage on the first Constitution save to maintain concentration that you make each round.
  • You can select any one creature or object within 30 feet that you can see in the turn you activate this feature, or on your later turns as a bonus action, and forge a magical link with them. Any spell you cast can originate either from your space or the linked target's space. An unwilling target gets a Wisdom saving throw when the link first forms, and at the start of each of its turns. On a success, the link is broken. The link also breaks if you attempt to form any new link, or if the distance between you and your linked target becomes greater than 30 feet.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses on a long rest.

Nature's Harmony
Starting at 6th level, whenever you receive damage from another creature, you can reflect some of that damage back to the attacker, and when your spells or features cause another creature to regain hit points, you can regain some as well. As a reaction, if a creature damages you, you can reflect half of that damage back to the target, or if your spells or features restore hit points to a creature, you can give yourself half the number of hit points they regained. You can use this feature once, and regain the use of it after a long rest, or by expending a spell slot of 3rd level or higher.

Geomantic Potency
Starting at 10th level, whenever you cast a Wizard spell which deals cold, fire, lightning, thunder, or acid damage, you may add your spellcasting ability modifier to one damage roll of that spell.

Living Confluence
Starting at 16th level, you can maintain your ley communion feature for 1 hour, rather than 1 minute. While you are in communion with the ley lines, you have blindsight to a distance of 30 feet and cannot be surprised. Further, as a bonus action after casting a Wizard spell of 5th level or lower that does not require concentration, you can cause that spell to originate from both your space and your linked target's space. You can use this additional benefit once, and regain use of it after a long rest.

Idea is to tie together magic and nature. Nature's Harmony could be quite useful to this character, since they can expend higher-level spell slots (that may not have many/any spells to use) to recharge it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As terrible as the Hobbit trilogy was, I'm surprised there's not more nature wizard subclasses out there, thanks to their inclusion of Radigast. Neither volume of Kobold Press' Deep Magic includes one, for instance.

Remove ads