Page Links in List of Threads are Gone in New Design

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It used to be we would open a forum and see the list of threads. If there were many posts on the thread we would see links to separate pages of the thread so we could jump to any point in the discussion.

I see you are trying other skins for the forums to improve performance, and it looks like these page links have gone away. I hope you are planning to bring them back. Maybe I am weird in how I read the forums, but I used them a lot. Now I have to load the first page of the thread to get the page links, then jump to the page I want, adding an extra page load for ENWorld and for me. :-(

lkj

Hero
I can understand why Morrus is trying to improve performance, and I suppose losing the page links on the threads page is probably a small cost to pay for speeding up the site. That said, I like to use the page links on the list of threads page as well. But usually I only click on the last page. I've seen on other forums where you can click to go to the last post. I wonder if that's a compromise (or even an option) that wouldn't cost too much in performance?

AD

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You can still click to go to the last post, same as you always could. Right column, the last posted entry.

Nevvur

Explorer
I (used to) routinely start on the second to last page to review the discussion leading to the last page/posts, so I'm not a fan of this change. Any chance you could make displaying the page links an option in user profiles?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I (used to) routinely start on the second to last page to review the discussion leading to the last page/posts, so I'm not a fan of this change. Any chance you could make displaying the page links an option in user profiles?

I would do the same on large threads I had missed.

Schmoe

Adventurer

I'll add my voice to this. If it makes a substantial difference in loading performance I can probably do without it, though I haven't noticed a huge performance difference since the redesign.

Edit to clarify, since my post wasn't very clear: I did like seeing the number of pages below the thread title. It gave easy quick links to the middle of a thread, and also gave a quick visual clue to the size of the thread.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

How did you do that? it used to show the first 10, then a gap, then the last one, like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32

So you'd have had to go to the last page then from there go back one, which you can still do now.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll add my voice to this. If it makes a substantial difference in loading performance I can probably do without it, though I haven't noticed a huge performance difference since the redesign.

Everything adds a database query to the page. Viewcounts all add database queries, page display indicators add database queries, etc. The reason a site gets slow is often (and in our case usually) because of a large number of database queries on every page load. Every little thing you remove is one less database query, and they all add up. A streamlined site therefore moves faster.

Since the streamlining last weekend, we've had a 40% speed increase. That's quite a bit; and it'll also benefit our Google rankings, as we were ranked as "very slow".

Remove ads