Starfinder Outpaces Pathfinder In Fall 2017!

Starfinder outpaced Pathfinder! Wow!

darjr

I crit!
Later. Stevens had the info months before ICv2 published it.

I read that. What’s your point? I hope she had that info before icv2 did. That’s part of her job, no?

My point is that icv2 and Lisa’s numbers agree which leads credence to the icv2 rankings.

Genre simulation? Mechanically, no - it's a mostly-narrativist engine with a lot of setting fluff-text, but little mechanical support of the genre...

I have to ask you how you delineate genre simulation from narrativism. As for me, just because a mechanic can also be applied to other genres it doesn't mean it's narrativist.

[EDIT] And let me just add: what mechanics it would need to qualify as genre simulation?

Last edited by a moderator:

aramis erak

Legend
I have to ask you how you delineate genre simulation from narrativism. As for me, just because a mechanic can also be applied to other genres it doesn't mean it's narrativist.

[EDIT] And let me just add: what mechanics it would need to qualify as genre simulation?

Genre simulation, the rules mechanics contribute to the simulation effect. The rules need to have explicit setting-specific mechanical effects for the setting specific gear. Essentially, if you can't get the genre from the rules of play, entirely free of the fluff text, it's not genre emulation.

The rules mechanics in STA only vaguely descend towards genre simulation in the ship combat rules and the character generation; even then, ship combat is bland and doesn't create a feel of trek. And Character gen is another weak spot - not all main Characters are equally competent in the shows, but they are in the game, so that actually counts against on genre emulation.
The only personal gear with any mechanics at all is the weapons list.

As for Genre sim/emulation? The rules for medkits should distinguish between the small kit McCoy has most of the time, the larger kits in a tool-case, the different kinds of tricorders...
All of these are hand-waived away in STA as "presumed equipment"...

So you would consider the entire metacurrency setup narrativist because it's not tied to a specific genre? I wouldn't. Not even by GNS standards, which I don't entirely subscribe to.

Obviously, there are degrees of accuracy regarding simulation. Still, the game's overall focus isn't on telling any kind of story or having an emerging theme - it's in recreating the Star Trek experience. Also, I don't think genre simulation doesn't mean you can't make occasional compromises - like balanced characters, which points towards gamism rather than narrativism.

How much personal gear do Star Trek officers have? And what of it does need stats?

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
One thing I should point out about Star TRek Adventures is that is started up with an organised play campaign of its own (which means Adventures) and supports multiple eras of play TOS etc. Many Star TRek rpgs have not.

Id point to Adv League as a good driver of sales for 5th edition.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing I should point out about Star TRek Adventures is that is started up with an organised play campaign of its own (which means Adventures) and supports multiple eras of play TOS etc. Many Star TRek rpgs have not.

Well, FASA didn’t have a time machine. It was kinda temporally limited in what eras it could cover on account of them not existing yet.

Though it did use the same system to publish a Doctor Who RPG.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads