Lets design a Warlord for 5th edition

mellored

Legend
So I have to pick things to use warlord points on and then I'm still limited by warlord points?

It would seem the optimal strategy would be to pick 1 warlord point ability and then pick the rest to be non-warlord point abilities?
The majority of things take reactions. The things that don't are more situational and weaker. But yea, that would probably be optimal.

Though, I've also been toying with separate pools. One for passive/at-will stuff, one that uses reactions, and maybe one for no-combat stuff.
That would also help spread out choices over a few levels. So a person wouldn't sit down and have to choose from 30 different options.

mellored

Legend
I see. I'm having more trouble than I thought fitting battle plans or strategies or anything like that into my at will warlord so I may adopt an invocation style approach as well.

Battle Plan: When you roll initiative, you can shout out one of the following battle plans. For the rest of the combat, you and your allies gain a +1d4 bonus to one of the following.
*First Strike: Initiative.
*Skirmish: AC against opportunity attacks.
*Hold the Line: To-hit with oppertunity attacks.
*Focus Fire: Select a single creature. Gain the bonus to damage rolls against that creature.
*Evasive: Dexterity and charisma saving throws.
*Harden Mind: Wisdom and intelligence saving throws.
*Tough it Out: Strength and constitution saving throws.

Maybe. I've generally been avoiding long duration buffs, but that doesn't seem bad.

mellored

Legend
I did both, "invocations" and sub classes.
Yea, the "no-subclass" idea didn't work out well. Having a sub-class gives you a name short cut. "I'm a tactical warlord".
Nor did the "2 sub-class" idea, as it felt like you where getting more than anyone else. "I'm a skirmishing tactical warlord, but your only a divination wizard".

Generic WL stuff
1d8/+level short rest healing
I'd still rather see healing as an option rather than a core ability.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm seeing atleast 4-5 categories of abilities emerging

Battle plans
tactical focus
Shouts
Inspiring attacks
base warlord combat prowess

Any others?
Some subclasses could be used to specialize in a category of ability?

FrogReaver

The majority of things take reactions. The things that don't are more situational and weaker. But yea, that would probably be optimal.

Though, I've also been toying with separate pools. One for passive/at-will stuff, one that uses reactions, and maybe one for no-combat stuff.
That would also help spread out choices over a few levels. So a person wouldn't sit down and have to choose from 30 different options.

A PHB wizard get's 30 spells to choose from at level 1. BattleMasters get about 20 maneuvers to choose from. I think 20-30 abilities is in the right ballpark for a fleixibile mechanic. Especially one where you are going to give nearly 10 choices in eventually. (Besides they are only picking like 2-3 abilities at level 1)

FrogReaver

What if Warlord Invocations typically gave you a new action you can do that incorporates
-an attack and a small buff
-a big buff
etc

This limits those abilities to once per turn.

Then you could also have some additional non-action requiring abilities that also get limited to once a turn either by rule or by requiring a reaction.

I think most abilities should keep the bonus action free in case the warlord wants to TWF. I don't want TWF to be a choice we take from him?

FrogReaver

[MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION]

I'm starting to be a bit concerned with the invocation idea again. It seems to me that you are basically making a warlord with at will abilities that gets a few options for non-at will abilities.

I'm going back toward my at will Warlord. I think I decided I could put my battle plans abilities into a subclass while leaving tactical focus abilities in the primary class. Should add enough tactical feel in the base class while letting you expand on it with a subclass.

I'm leaning toward subclasses:
Strategist - battle plans (general encounter long buffs or possibly initiative bonuses etc)
Standard Bearer - Inspirational and some quasi-aura type abilities for allies near you
Warrior?
Brauvara?

Zardnaar

Legend
[MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION]

I'm starting to be a bit concerned with the invocation idea again. It seems to me that you are basically making a warlord with at will abilities that gets a few options for non-at will abilities.

I'm going back toward my at will Warlord. I think I decided I could put my battle plans abilities into a subclass while leaving tactical focus abilities in the primary class. Should add enough tactical feel in the base class while letting you expand on it with a subclass.

I'm leaning toward subclasses:
Strategist - battle plans (general encounter long buffs or possibly initiative bonuses etc)
Standard Bearer - Inspirational and some quasi-aura type abilities for allies near you
Warrior?
Brauvara?

At will narrows down your options a lot if you want it remotely balanced. Some sort of aura type class like the 3.5 Marshall might be the best bet.

mellored

Legend
Yes.
What part of that concerns you?

So... your basiclly making a warlord with at will abilities that gets a few options for non-at will abilites?

Not sure I see much difference.
Except, using reactions reduces the number of things you need to track.

Remove ads