Speaking of White Wolf.. discussion of the end of the World of Darkness

uv23

First Post
Now let me preface this with the understanding that its dated news (July 27) and that I have zero knowledge of White Wolf products. http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/coranto/viewnews.cgi?id=EpVAuFpkZurkKFJmYz&style=MoreNews But I came across this link while researching the new Bloodlines CRPG and I found it to be incredibly genuine and ballsy. Here is a game publisher that is knowingly ending an entire (and from what I gather, very large) product line to maintain a promised storyline and their integrity as storytellers. I find that fascinating as I've never seen anything similar in the industry. Ack, I've just been called away before I could finish my train of thought but I'll throw this out there anyway... comments?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hm. I guess you could look at it as "a game publisher that is knowingly ending an entire (and from what I gather, very large) product line to maintain a promised storyline and their integrity as storytellers".

But I don't think it's all that noble a thing. It looks to me more like a game publisher who watched the releases of newer editions of D&D, and learned that well thought out rules-turnover generates sales. While they put the spin on it that it's all to finish the promised storyline, the fact that it's likely to sell oodles and oodles of books (first the Apocalypse line, then the new WoD rules) is probably the greater motivator.

When talking about a corporation, don't ascribe to integrity that which is more easily ascribed to good business sense :)

Knightcrawler

First Post
I don't think their going to be completely ending the setting. Their evolving it with a major disaster/apocalypse. I figure their going to move the story line into the future. Really shake things up and how the game is played. Maybe evolving it into something like Dragonstar or Shadowrun.

Knightcrawler said:
I don't think their going to be completely ending the setting. Their evolving it with a major disaster/apocalypse. I figure their going to move the story line into the future. Really shake things up and how the game is played. Maybe evolving it into something like Dragonstar or Shadowrun.

Nope. As per their press releases, the current WoD is ending. Poof, kaput, gone.

They are, however, beginning a new WoD later next year. Think of it as hitting the "reset" button, and starting over with new continuity, new rules, and new games. Some details will carry over; they've already said that it will have vampires, for instance. Some aspects of the setting will seem familiar to those who knew the old WoD. Other aspects of it will be brand new, however; this is not merely a "revision" but a complete "redo/reimagining."

So we have old WoD and new WoD, and never the twain shall meet. The new one is not set "after" the old one, it's not post-apocalyptic. It's a new interpretation.

DanMcS

Explorer
What are the current versions of all those WoD games anyway? I own some old copies of Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Vamp: Dark Ages, and Wraith. Mage I liked, Vampire and Werewolf were interesting but never seemed to be fun to play or run, Wraith seemed unplayable.

I'm kind of interested in the apocalypse books. Something like that could make a vampire game playable for me. What I would really like to see in the new WoD stuff is a unified system for the games, rather than the really-similar-but-tweaked-for-every-game rules they use in the current setup. One core book with the rules and a bunch of supplements for the various campaign types might be worth buying.

Welverin

First Post
DanMcS said:
One core book with the rules and a bunch of supplements for the various campaign types might be worth buying.

That's kind of what they did with Exalted and the newer Dark Ages games. There was one core book with the rules (Exalted, DA: Vampire), and separate books groups/types (The Lunars, The Dragon-blooded; DA: Werewolf, DA: Mage), that didn't have the the system rules in them, but included and specific information on whatever that books about. So you'll need the core book in addition to the book for whatever subtype you want to play.

Ari, can you tell us if that's how the new WoD will be as well or will we be looking at a bunch of stand alone books again?

uv23

First Post
Umbran said:
When talking about a corporation, don't ascribe to integrity that which is more easily ascribed to good business sense :)

True, but I think its taken a bit further by the fact that they are also not doing anymore reprints of the old books once this happens. As I'm sure if they did, they'd still make money off of them.

DanMcS

Explorer
uv23 said:
True, but I think its taken a bit further by the fact that they are also not doing anymore reprints of the old books once this happens. As I'm sure if they did, they'd still make money off of them.

Eh, not really, you don't want to be in competition with yourself. There are enough other publishers out there to compete with without having two versions of your own game at once.

Remove ads