D&D 5E [5e] Archery Fighter Progression

HugaKobold

First Post
Hi everyone,

So I’m currently running a level 4 battle master fighter and just recently taken the Sharpshooter feat. I have the archery fighting style and have been using a longbow mainly with a hand crossbow as back up. What feats, ASI or multiclasses should I consider going from here?

Additionally, in this campaign my character is unable to use magic except for the high elf starting cantrip.

Thanks.

20 Dex should be high priority above most.

But if you must take feats, these are good choices:
Alert
Lucky
Resilient Wisdom

As far as multiclassing, rogue and ranger could be good.

Really it comes down to how you want your character to play. If scout/sneaky type. The rogue multiclass will be hugely helpful

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Agree with [MENTION=6803538]HermanTheWize[/MENTION] that 20 Dex should be your next priority. (Though if you have an odd score, a half-feat to boost it and give you something is a useful touch.)

The Precision Attack battlemaster maneuver should help a lot with delivering your Sharpshooter attacks, but a better chance to hit will always help. Plus more hits and more damage regardless if you are using the -5/+10.

I'd say stay pure fighter - it's a strong chassis with many ASIs, and also will grant you Extra Attack (2) and eventually (3). That's assuming your campaign is expected to go past 11th - if it will end before then you may want to reconsider. But 5th is needed for Extra Attack, 6th is an ASI for your Dex, 7th is another Superiority die and Know Your Enemy, and 8th is yet another ASI - at that point staying for 11th is pretty easy.

If you do multiclass, I'd stay until at least 8th. Also, since you won't be getting the advanced version of extra attack, you might want to pick up Crossbow Expert for a bonus action attack and switch the to hand crossbow. It works fine with SS, and SS removes disadvantage at ranged so the hand crossbow is good up to 120'. (And if it's further, just use your bow.)

Not being able to use magic does remove some multiclassing, be it to Ranger for one of the subclasses with good features for an archer, or a dip for Hex, Shield, or other non-casting-ability score buff or utility.

In addition to the feats others have suggested, if your DM allows XGtE take a look at Fey Teleportation. It's a free get-out-of-melee card once per short rest, and has plenty of creative uses in and out of combat. Don't know if that hits into your "can't use magic" or if more High Elf features are okay like the cantrip is okay.

HugaKobold

First Post
Ah, I should have mentioned that my dex is currently at 20. Thanks for the responses, I think I will take a look into the fey teleportation and ask the DM if I can reflavour it as my character learning how to better use a pocket watch portal much more efficiently.

Phasestar

First Post
Also have a look at the Gloomstalker Ranger and/or the Rogue Scout from XTGE if you do decide to multiclass for at least a few levels.

Remove ads