D&D 5E Joe Manganiello’s article on D&D at NBC News

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I don't explain it to people. I don't need to explain or justify some small aspect of my social life.

I'm an evangelist by nature. I like things I'm into to get bigger. I want to find new players. I want to find another DM so I can be a player. I want my non-DnD writing to make sense to people because they understand the DnD metaphors and analogies.

Am I the only one that sees the irony in DnD bring okay because some people in "Hollywood" think it is okay.

It's not just because of Hollywood. It's mainstream writers. It's titans in tech. It's musicians. The creatives that grew up playing DnD as teens in the 80s are now mid40s/50s and leaders in their industries.

S

Sunseeker

Ah yes the potent "I don't need no stinkin' media approval, I was in this before it was cool!"

What do we call them these days? Grogsters? Hipnards?

Watch out, if you're not careful pretty soon overpriced coffee, coke-bottle glasses and scarves might have media approval too! Oh wait...

Here in Spain RPGs were totally unknown until beggining the 90's years, Dungeons & Dragons was only a child TV cartoon with a very popular opening theme song. We had got our own "satanic panic" in 1994 with "el asesino del rol" (the killer of the Role(playing-games). This murder by a fool gave a very bad image to RPG fanboys. But it is curious, because in the second half of 90's years in Spain was our "golden age of RPGs", and in the end of AD&D then World of Darkness by White Wolf became the most popular roleplay game, but this franchise didn't suffer "satan panic" in Spain. After, we were in a "dark age", when White Wolf started the new WoD (now Chronicles of Darkness) and the years of 4th Edition.

Here in Pittsburgh there are ads on buses promoting being an organ donor, using local celebrities. This includes Joe Manganiello. It’s a crazy-but-awesome world to see a famous D&D player on public transportation in the morning.

Perfectly, if I recall correctly, the ad line is “Anyone can be a hero.”

Count_Zero

Adventurer
Anymore, I don't really encounter "stigma" behind Tabletop RPGs... I more find people who are more surprised that they still exist. At best they know about D&D 5e, but they either don't know about anything else, or know that it used to exist but assume that other games (including Call of Cthulhu and Shadowrun) no longer exist because they haven't heard anything about them. Any further pressing for info leads to learning that all they know about tabletop RPG comes from what Tabletop RPGs are carried at Barnes & Noble.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

Wait, should I not do this at my table?

Ah yes the potent "I don't need no stinkin' media approval, I was in this before it was cool!"

What do we call them these days? Grogsters? Hipnards?

Watch out, if you're not careful pretty soon overpriced coffee, coke-bottle glasses and scarves might have media approval too! Oh wait...

Grogster sounds excellent. Hipnard sounds terrible. So obviously I vote hipnard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases