D&D 5E Joe Manganiello’s article on D&D at NBC News

Why people like RPGs? Now we are used to videogames and movies (Warcraft or Lords of the Rings), you are using your imagination, creating new stories, you are with your friends, and you are learning social skills, to risk, to face challenges, sometimes you fail and other times you sucess, and then you get more self-confidence, and that is very importat for a teenage.

Even video games are trying their hardest to emulate things you can get in tabletop, I play a lot of video games and read about them, something which comes up more and more is the desirability of 'emergent game play' - a prime example is Sea of Thieves, the game itself is repetitive and sparse, but throw in shenanigans with other player paste crews and it's fun. But it'll be along time before game AI is anything close to good old DnD 😀

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
There's still some stigma to playing D&D, but nowhere near what it used to be. Now they just think that I'm a geek (which I am for many reasons), rather than thinking I'm a devil worshiper or drug user.

I don't explain it to people. I don't need to explain or justify some small aspect of my social life.

Am I the only one that sees the irony in DnD bring okay because some people in "Hollywood" think it is okay.

Nevvur

Explorer
I don't explain it to people. I don't need to explain or justify some small aspect of my social life.

I agree... sort of? I mean, I shouldn't have to explain why I play D&D any more than Joe Six Pack should have to explain why he watches football.

But I will explain if it comes up in conversation, because I #$%in love RPGs and I view it as an opportunity to share something I love.

Am I the only one that sees the irony in DnD bring okay because some people in "Hollywood" think it is okay.

Not sure I'd call it ironic, but it is slightly miffing on some level. Not sure why. Many social movements (and I'm applying that term loosely to the growing acceptance of TTRPGs) have been spearheaded by celebrities, so it's nothing new. I guess there's just a part of me that wants recognition for the Boots on the Ground, the early adopters of the hobby who spread the game organically and kept the hobby going despite their limited reach. But then, what sort of recognition am I really expecting here? Guess I'll just pat myself on the back and get back to gaming.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not sure I'd call it ironic, but it is slightly miffing on some level. Not sure why. Many social movements (and I'm applying that term loosely to the growing acceptance of TTRPGs) have been spearheaded by celebrities, so it's nothing new. I guess there's just a part of me that wants recognition for the Boots on the Ground, the early adopters of the hobby who spread the game organically and kept the hobby going despite their limited reach. But then, what sort of recognition am I really expecting here? Guess I'll just pat myself on the back and get back to gaming.

It’s basically “I was into that band before it became popular”. It’s not really anything to do with D&D; it’s the same with every subculture.

Psychologically, it’s kind of a feeling that one deserves a reward for getting there first. Of course, we intellectually know that’s not true, but it’s a common enough feeling across all types of hobby and interest that it’s certainly a thing.

That is, in part, what the term “gatekeeping” refers to.

In most all measurable ways, though, it’s better this way. More players, more people to game with, less stigma.

Nevvur

Explorer
It’s basically “I was into that band before it became popular”. It’s not really anything to do with D&D; it’s the same with every subculture.

Psychologically, it’s kind of a feeling that one deserves a reward for getting there first. Of course, we intellectually know that’s not true, but it’s a common enough feeling across all types of hobby and interest that it’s certainly a thing.

That is, in part, what the term “gatekeeping” refers to.

In most all measurable ways, though, it’s better this way. More players, more people to game with, less stigma.

Yeah, that captures most of what I had trouble articulating. I'm conscious of my feelings at least, and haven't acted upon them to feed into the gatekeeping problem. :)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Phew, I’m glad that was edited from a conversation, I was getting worried about Joe’s writing skills! :D

Remove ads