The Window from Robe of Useful Items

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Hi Folks.

The Window from the Robe of useful Items is a one-time/use-only portal.

I am looking to gift my Rogue with a permanent version of this magic item. (Just the window, not the rest of the robe). I think she would have a lot of fun and shenanigans with it, and I'm very open to that. It would give her more versatility as the only non-caster in the party.

To keep it from going into the Very Rare category, what limitations do you think it should have.

I'm looking at the Helm of Teleportation as a Rare comparison. It has three charges and regains expended charges 1d3 per dawn, do you folks think this would be similar.

I'm thinking it definitely requires attunement and maybe even by a Rogue, though not sure on that part

Anything else you would add/take away/stipulate? Any concerns?

Many thanks as always for your replies.

Rather than three charges, I might make it usable only once per day. Being able to go immediately through two walls could be used to cheese through certain encounters. Having only one use at a time would make a person think more about when they want to use it.

Dausuul

Legend
How about this:

• The window has glass in it. You can put the window up on a wall and take it down as often as you want.
  • Once per day, a creature attuned to the window can open it. It closes after 1 minute, or if it's taken off the wall. While it's open, objects and creatures can pass through it normally.
  • A creature attuned to the window* can shatter the glass. This causes the window to lose its magic and become a permanent, nonmagical opening in whatever wall it was on.
[SIZE=-2]*You could make this "any creature," but that will probably result in the window being used a lot less.[/SIZE]

Rossbert

Explorer
In third edition the gnome issue of dragon had the portable breach. An item that looked like a portable hole, but functioned the way I always thought it did: creating an actual hole through what it was placed on. I think it was based on Passwall rules.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I must admit, I hadn't thought about the window becoming permanent afterwards. This adds a layer of intrigue, investigation, or follow up that I like.

Once per day, also has the advantage of not being able to both go in and get out, so other roleplay/spells must come into play and it only becomes useful, not necessarily essential.

Dausuul

Legend
Another thought, if you want to give the window a darker side:

If you put the window on a wall within 1 minute of a good-aligned creature dying nearby, instead of revealing the other side of the wall, it reveals the Abyss. Open the window, and you can travel to the Abyss... and things from the Abyss can come the other way. There are some demon cults that are all about getting hold of the window.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Another thought, if you want to give the window a darker side:

If you put the window on a wall within 1 minute of a good-aligned creature dying nearby, instead of revealing the other side of the wall, it reveals the Abyss. Open the window, and you can travel to the Abyss... and things from the Abyss can come the other way. There are some demon cults that are all about getting hold of the window.

Ooh you....you....you...evil...beautiful...you...

This will be a Dark Sun type world but not exactly, so Abyssal is not out of the question...

cooperjer

Explorer
Have you considered looking at the magic item modification tables in the DMG. I don't recall the page, but it is located on 2 pages right before the list of magic items. Consider who or what made the window originally. Consider what it was used for prior to the PCs getting their hands on it. Consider if there are any additional small magical benefits. Consider if there is any maintenance to the magic item.

One example might be: A window made on the elemental plane of water. It was used by a human explorer on the plane as a portal to enter an apparatus of Kwalish, but the apparatus was destroyed in some accident. The wielder of the window is proficient in Primordial (Aquan). The magical properties of the window fade if it is not cleaned with water daily.

I'm not sure this would be applicable in a DarkSun setting, but feel free to add something equally interesting.

One use per long rest feels about right.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It should be magic chalk, able to draw a portal, but it runs low every day and then grows back over a long rest. So rather than charges, it can only draw a certain number of feet per day. Draw a big 10 x 10 door and you get fewer uses than drawing a lot of smaller 2x2 ones.

Remove ads