How does one quote embedded quotations?

darkbard

Legend
I can multiquote from multiple posts just fine, but sometimes I wish to not only quote a poster but also quote the poster being quoted within that post. Yet if I simply quote the responding poster, it removes the initial poster's text, showing only the response. How does one quote both the response and the embedded quotation in the second post?

I see this done on the regular, so it must be something obvious I'm missing.

Thanks!

CapnZapp

Legend
When you click "quote" it strips out all levels of quotes except the first.

I am not aware of any other way than the obvious: each and every such post was cut and pasted manually.

CapnZapp

Legend
You could of course look at the post you want to quote, and click the little "view post" arrow to get to each original post (i.e. quoted by the post you want to quote),then at that post click "reply with quote" to get the bbcode text, copy it, then cancel, and click "back" in your browser.

This basically gets you the text surrounded by QUOTE tags, including any formatting done by that poster. Which you can then insert back at the appropriate place in the text you want to quote.

Personally that's seldom worth the extra back and forth, unless you're trying to "deep-quote" a post filled with formatting.

In those rare cases, it can be useful, which is why I wrote this.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, there's no automated way of doing it -- people are doing it manually.
For the benefit of the OP: Vbulletin (the maker of the software used by ENWorld) evidently thinks this would do more harm than good, or they'd have added this capability a long time ago. There has certainly been many many requests to add it (just google "vbulletin nested quotes"), yet the only option available to sysadmins is to add a user-defined mod, which I completely understand Morrus is loath to do.

Remove ads