Psion as Wizard archetype − Happy Fun Hour

Yaarel

He Mage
There's a negative connotation to Sorcerer or Sorcery, today, because it's used to refer to, in effect (and among other things), con men, who bilk the superstitious by claiming magical powers, too.
But, yes, the definition does imply dealing with spirits, to gain secrets known to them, including magical powers, and to have them do your bidding. The D&D Warlock is closer to a Sorcerer, in concept, though the mechanics still don't much model actually dealing with spirits. Something more like an RQII Shaman, really, would model a dictionary-definition Sorcerer.

Mutant - in the Marvel sense - would almost be more accurate. ;)

Anyway, name aside, the 5e Sorcerer's schtick is, indeed, /magical/ power from within, and that makes it a better candidate for faux-psionicist than wizard, hands down.

While psionics is inevitably supernatural in nature, whether psionics is magical is something that should be left to the DM - and prettymuch requires a new class to package it. Some might prefer the theoretically more consistent 'balance' of keeping the psionic tamped down by the same measures as other casters (Beholder's and anti-magic zones and whatnot), or just the unifying concept that in the fantasy genre the supernatural /is/ magical, while others might prefer adding to the range of supernatural abilities the game models.

Personally, I like the spontaneous wizard as the psion. It puts the finger on what the 3e psion is.

Aside from the wizard, I can stomach the bard as a chassis for the psion subclass, better than the sorcerer. Add a suite of telekinetic force spells to the bard list, and the bard makes a fine psion.

(The bard also makes a pretty good shaman.)

Yaarel

He Mage
Every official spell in D&D can organize into one of the four themes. I have been using these four themes for years now. But it looks like PF2 is considering adopting these four.

Spirit (force, telekinesis, light, void, ether, aster, planar travel, teleportation, space-time)
Mind (charm, fear, suggestion, illusion, domination, divination)
Body (life, healing, nature, beast, plant, poison)
Matter (mainly the four elements: air-water and fire-earth)

These four themes permute to create an interesting contrast among six full caster classes.

Wizard: Mind + Matter
Cleric: Spirit + Body

Psion: Mind + Spirit
Druid: Body + Matter

Bard: Mind + Body
Artificer (Alchemist): Matter + Spirit

The above is a strict division of flavor. For example, there would be no psion of Body/psychometabolism − use a psionic bard for Body. A bard makes a good psychic healer. Likewise there would be no psion of Matter/pyrokinesis − use a psionic wizard (or sorcerer?) to telekinese fire, earth, or air, water.

But the division of flavor also means there would be no wizard with Spirit/planar travel or teleportation, nor Spirit/force effects like Magic Missile or Wall of Force or Telekinesis or Fly.

Despite the restrictions, the division creates spell casters with distinctive flavors that make sense for the class.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Explorer
I think part of the problem with psions, why many people feel they're "too sci-fi", is the name. After all, the term was originally coined by a science fiction author, was it not? But if you call them psychics, then they don't really sound science-fictiony at all. Or, if you think giving a class the same name as one of the damage types is a bad idea, "mentalist" works pretty well too.

"Mystic" is... okay, but it's a pretty broad term that doesn't, to me, particularly connote powers of the mind. If anything, I think of a mystic as being more like a quasi-cleric -- not someone who finds power within, but someone who communes with the divine/the spirits/the universe. In real life, "mysticism" is used to refer to practices like Kabbalah, Sufism, Shinto, etc..

I would vastly prefer making psionics as a subclass to the wizard, sorcerer, and monk than the Awakened Mystic and whole new magic system it brings with it.

I'm okay with having battleminds and soulknives as subclasses of fighter and rogue, but I think there's room for a full-fledged psychic class too. I'm not in favor of making it simply a subclass of wizard or sorcerer, except as a stop-gap measure while waiting for WotC to come out with something official.

...it would avoid having to re-build the wheel with a separate magic system when D&D already has a darn good one.

But they kind of already did that with the warlock. Personally, I've never understood the rationale for giving warlocks a very limited number of spell slots and a bunch of unique abilities, instead of simply giving them a full spellcasting progression and then layering the pact and patron abilities on top to keep them distinct from wizards or sorcerers. (But that's a topic for another day.)

However, now that I think about it, the warlock is a great model for how I think psychics should work. Not in terms of flavor, but in terms of mechanics. In the fiction, psychics generally have a handful of abilities at most, not swiss-army-knife powers like a wizard.

I also don't think power points really model the fiction very well either. You don't see psychics in the stories draining their powers... except perhaps in the sense of over-taxing themselves by pushing their abilities to the limit, but that's something that could be modeled perfectly well using levels of exhaustion. In fact, that in itself would give psychics a unique flavor without having to introduce a whole new system.

So like I said, if I were creating a psychic class, I'd give them at-will disciplines (equivalent to eldritch invocations), and a limited number of spell slots, with a unique spell list for each Path. (I prefer "Path" to "Order" because I don't think psychics should be assumed to belong to organized groups.)

- Path of the Mind would cover telepathy, clairvoyance, precognition, psychometry, and mediumship. Its disciplines would be organized in chains, so you could choose between dabbling in several different abilities, or specializing in one and gaining access to the more powerful disciplines like astral projection and mental domination.

- Path of the Body would be psychometabolism. Not the flashy stuff like shaping your hands into claws -- again, I don't think that fits the fiction -- but the sort of thing Hindu yogis are purported to be capable of -- firewalking, death trances, self-healing and so forth. To some extent it overlaps with a monk's abilities, but I think there's still room for both to be distinct if you put less emphasis on combat and more on self-perfection. Disciplines that healed others would also be available as an option.

- Path of the Weave, so-called because its disciplines affect the external world rather than the self, covers psychokinetic powers. (I'm open to suggestions for alternative names.) Choose one type of energy (fire, cold, force, maybe lightning), each of which comes with its own unique set of disciplines to pick from.

(For the record, I don't really think teleportation is a particularly "psychic" ability.)

I'm okay with crystals being associated with psychics, as long as they're portrayed less in a science-fictiony way and more in a New-Agey way. (No weird stuff like crystal wands, mind you, just basic stones worn in pendants.) I don't think they should be mandatory, but a crystal focus might give you special benefits like advantage on checks when using your powers, or the ability to push yourself without exhaustion. Might require attunement to gain the benefits.

Most of these are ideas I just came up with today after reading this thread, so I'm spitballing here. But that's how I'd approach it, if it were up to me.

There's a negative connotation to Sorcerer or Sorcery, today, because it's used to refer to, in effect (and among other things), con men, who bilk the superstitious by claiming magical powers, too.

Really? I've never heard it used that way. Can you link to any examples?

Wyvern

Last edited:

For me mind-affecting psionic powers can be resisted with defenses against mind-affecting magic, and elemental damage by psionic disciplines can be neutralice by standard magic defenses against elemental damage resistance.

Casting spells is harder if the wizard can't speak or move, but psionic manifesters only need concentration, don't they?

And we need psionic powers if we want the return of Dark Sun setting.

* I dare to say we may see in the future subclasses to introduce new game mechanics.

* It is curious, I don't miss too much the lurker class from the Complete Psionic, but there was a great potential for the psionic ardent/divine mind, to create stories about potential conflicts with the clerics and other divine spellcasters. (Other idea is the favored soul like a spontaneous divine spellcaster with subclasses about monster templates (half-dragon, half-infernal, half-fey, half-celestial...).

However, now that I think about it, the warlock is a great model for how I think psychics should work. Not in terms of flavor, but in terms of mechanics. In the fiction, psychics generally have a handful of abilities at most, not swiss-army-knife powers like a wizard.

Thinking on this I wholeheartedly agree that it makes a good mechanical fit. As for flavor, you could say that Psionic Warlocks have a pact with an embodiment of the collective consciousnesses of the Material Plane that resides in the Astral Plane that they may not even be aware of making. The pact could have been made in a half-remembered dream.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

Wyvern

Could be an age thing.

Don't have a specific source atm, but my basic/1st/2nd edition games had sorcery as the evil fiend summoning magic.

World Setting: Magic "okay", Sorcery "bad".

Niavin the evil sorcerer was an ongoing NPC, a party wizard learned a sorcerey spell and was flirting with darkness.

As a result of so many years of "legacy fluff" on my part...I had to but a line in my house rule doc stating:

Alfaysian Characters said:
Sorcerers and Adepts

A clarification on magic in this campaign. Magic is magic. It may have a divine, or arcane, or even nature style flavor, but its magic.

Its the source that matters. Clerics are given access to magic power via a link with their deity, gained when consecrated or devout enough. Mages study it and manipulate it.

Adepts (think sorcerers) are those whose power comes from a spark within, or a bloodline that taps into magic. Their ability to use magic is innate. so you can have divine “sorcerers”, arcane sorcerers, fire sorcerers etc, except this campaign calls them adepts or channelers.

This reduces the number of classes pervading the system. we don’t need the 3.5 favored soul (basically a divine sorcerer) or beguiler (charm sorcerer). Just use the sorcerer class and adjust the spell list. Nice and neat.

Oh and the reason for not using the name sorcerer? Because before WoTC started using it to denote a different type of wizard, I was using the term sorcerer for summoners that dealt with demons or devils (like since 1st edition!).

So I’m going back to that.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Thinking on this I wholeheartedly agree that it makes a good mechanical fit. As for flavor, you could say that Psionic Warlocks have a pact with an embodiment of the collective consciousnesses of the Material Plane that resides in the Astral Plane that they may not even be aware of making. The pact could have been made in a half-remembered dream.

I also like the warlock mechanical fit.

Would leave out any mention of a pact however, but "tapping into the collective" is a fantastic idea.

Whatever we sub for the word "Pact" could be a way to determine the psions "discipline", and associated benefits.

Wyvern

Explorer

My hypothetical psychic class wouldn't have any reference to pacts -- when I said I'd model it on the warlock I simply meant that I'd give them a short list of spells and a selection of at-will abilities (changing the name from "invocations" to "disciplines" or "talents") that may or may not be spell-like, as opposed to all-spells-all-the-time. The pact benefits would be replaced by something specific to the Path they follow.

(Which is not to say a reskinned warlock couldn't serve as a stop-gap solution, just as a reskinned wizard or sorcerer could. In fact, I think it would work better, for the reasons I outlined above.)

Don't have a specific source atm, but my basic/1st/2nd edition games had sorcery as the evil fiend summoning magic.

World Setting: Magic "okay", Sorcery "bad".

Niavin the evil sorcerer was an ongoing NPC, a party wizard learned a sorcerey spell and was flirting with darkness.

That's not what I was asking about. I'm well aware that, when it's not simply used as a straight synonym for "wizard" (as in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone), it has connotations of evilness. Dictionary.com defines sorcery as "the art, practices, or spells of a person who is supposed to exercise supernatural powers through the aid of evil spirits; black magic; witchery". And in "sword & sorcery" fiction -- which was a major influence on the early editions of D&D you're talking about -- the sorcerers are usually the villains. My question was regarding Tony Vargas' assertion that in real-life, "sorcerer" is used to refer to "con men, who bilk the superstitious by claiming magical powers". I've never heard it used *that* way. The word I'd use to describe such a person is, well, "psychic".

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think part of the problem with psions, why many people feel they're "too sci-fi", is the name. After all, the term was originally coined by a science fiction author, was it not?
John W. Campbell, c1952. He proposed the term to mean something 'engineering applied to powers of the mind' (the 'enhancing psychic powers with electronics' definition is closer to psychotronics, but that gets really weird...).

And, yes, 'psionic' was coined by adding 'psi' + the '-onics' ending (lifted from electronics) that, in the 50s, had buzz comparable to '.com' in the 90s, having supplanted '-ola' as the ending you pasted on something to make it sound cool & modern (about the only examples that may ring a bell, today would be Motorola and granola).
But if you call them psychics, then they don't really sound science-fictiony at all. Or, if you think giving a class the same name as one of the damage types is a bad idea, "mentalist" works pretty well too.
Psychic were coined (or rather adopted into English) in the later 19th century, with the rise in popularity of the mediums and Theosophy (actually, a lot of pop-culture, and thus D&D, ideas of the supernatural were influenced by Theosophy).

"Mystic" is... okay, but it's a pretty broad term that doesn't, to me, particularly connote powers of the mind. If anything, I think of a mystic as being more like a quasi-cleric -- not someone who finds power within, but someone who communes with the divine/the spirits/the universe. In real life, "mysticism" is used to refer to practices like Kabbalah, Sufism, Shinto, etc..
It's at least an older word. ;)

I'm okay with having battleminds and soulknives as subclasses of fighter and rogue, but I think there's room for a full-fledged psychic class too. I'm not in favor of making it simply a subclass of wizard or sorcerer, except as a stop-gap measure while waiting for WotC to come out with something official.
They Mystic's been on UA quite a while, I don't understand the point of a 'top gap' that's every bit as unofficial... ??

Warlock's mechanics are pretty decent - not as over the top complicated and counter-genre as most D&D spellcasting, not as sadly limited and counter-genre as non-casters.

(wow, that sounded harsher than intended, but I can't think how to get the idea across while sounding nice...)

I also don't think power points really model the fiction very well either. You don't see psychics in the stories draining their powers... except perhaps in the sense of over-taxing themselves by pushing their abilities to the limit
It seems pretty common in fiction that a psychic with overt powers like TK or mind control, has to put forth intense effort or concentration and can wear themselves out or even injure themselves in the process.

(For the record, I don't really think teleportation is a particularly "psychic" ability.)
Teleportation, Aportation, and Dematerialization were powers claimed by or attributed to mentalists - and the more mystic-spouting stage magicians, for that matter - again, back in the 19th century. All of them have been in D&D a long while, Teleportation, obviously, with a spell of that name, Aportation in Daern's Instant Summons and Leomund's Secret Chest among others, and Dematerialization in Passwall, (stretching the point a bit, Etherealness), and later qualities like insubstantial or phasing.

Google Sorcerer and, thanks to Sorcerer's Stone and some video games, you won't find any examples in the fist page. throw in 'superstition,' you might start finding some, they're often not from the most savory sources, either.

Casting spells is harder if the wizard can't speak or move, but psionic manifesters only need concentration, don't they?
I think that's a fairly standard vision, yes. Though, it's worth noting that in prior eds, 'concentration' was required for spellcasting as well as components, while in 5e, only a sub-set of spells require concentration, and while all such limitations are toned down from the olden days, it's a more significant limitation than components, which are barely a meaningful limit at all anymore.

So a 5e Psion that had to Concentrate to use any of it's powers would be more limited than a 5e caster, not less.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Explorer
They Mystic's been on UA quite a while, I don't understand the point of a 'top gap' that's every bit as unofficial... ??

Well, I was responding to the suggestions other people had made that psions/mystics/psychics/whatever should be a subclass of wizard or some other existing class. Presumably the people who made those suggestions aren't satisfied with the UA mystic class. All I'm saying is, I'd rather have a full-fledged psychic class -- whether it's like the UA mystic or something different -- than to have psychic powers be relegated entirely to subclasses. But if I wanted a psychic class right now and I (or the DM) wasn't happy with the mystic for whatever reason, then I could get by with a wizard or sorcerer that specialized in mind-affecting spells.

It seems pretty common in fiction that a psychic with overt powers like TK or mind control, has to put forth intense effort or concentration and can wear themselves out or even injure themselves in the process.

Hence my suggestion of using levels of exhaustion. It has the dual advantage of being a rule that already exists, while at the same time isn't utilized by any of the other flavors of spellcaster, which would give psychics a unique feel.

Teleportation, Aportation, and Dematerialization were powers claimed by or attributed to mentalists - and the more mystic-spouting stage magicians, for that matter - again, back in the 19th century. All of them have been in D&D a long while, Teleportation, obviously, with a spell of that name, Aportation in Daern's Instant Summons and Leomund's Secret Chest among others, and Dematerialization in Passwall, (stretching the point a bit, Etherealness), and later qualities like insubstantial or phasing.

Sure, there are lots of spells that allow for that sort of thing, but what I'm saying is that I don't equate "psychic" with "someone who can teleport". If you say there's historical precedent, I'll take your word for it -- though I don't think stage magicians really count. While there may be conceptual overlap between the two (a lot of stage magicians do mind-reading tricks, obviously), magicians have plenty of tricks in their repertoire that I wouldn't consider "psychic powers".

If you *were* to include psychoportation, within the framework of the three Paths I outlined, do you think it fits better with the Path of the Body or the Path of the Weave?

throw in 'superstition,' you might start finding some, they're often not from the most savory sources, either.

Okay, I Googled "sorcery superstition" like you suggested, and just glancing at the results, I think I get what you mean. You're talking about something like the archetypal "witch doctor" right? When you wrote "con man" my mind went to "street hustler", and that's what confused me.

Wyvern

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases