Psion as Wizard archetype − Happy Fun Hour

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I've never really understood the appeal of Psionics in D&D.

I too dont like the pseudo-sci-fi feel of many previous attempt. I do like the idea of ''the power from'' within the last Mystic had. Only problem: monk and sorcerer already thread this path, so it's hard to feel the class is needed since all it does is replicate spells, but without the restriction of spells. Most demands for a full psionic class come with the idea that the class is needed for specific settings to exist (Darksun, Eberron, Nentir Vale), but I've rarely spotted someone who requested the class in itself just for the sake of it. Anyway, I think that discussing the need to add new classes or archetypes that may or may not step on the toes of other classes is a healthy discussion.

Yaarel

He Mage
The 5e wizard is a spontaneous spellcaster, thus obsoleting 3e sorcerer.

The 5e sorcerer itself works better as a 5e wizard subclass, moreorless an evoker wizard that swaps spellbook for explosive elemental metamagic effects.

The unfortunate problem with the sorcerer is its name, a flavor that denotes black magic and demonic spirits. ‘Sorcery’ is the technical name in anthropology for this kind of negative magic that derives from external spirits rather than from ones one self. A ‘witch’ is a more neutral term that can refer to any kind of magic, including innate magic. Names matter alot to me. The wrong name makes the wrong concept, and ceases to be appealing to me. Flavor gets baked into the mechanics. I deeply dislike and refuse to use mechanics that bake in the wrong flavor.

Personally, I want a psion as a wizard subclass. I like the fact, a psion subclass opens up appropriate psychic flavor and telekinetic spells, even healing spells, for wizard concepts to select.

The bard is already a great psychic and psychometabolic ‘psionic’ class. Unfortunately, the need for extensive telekinetic force spells feel inappropriate for the bard.

Heck, it'd be entirely easy just to say something like "the psionic sorcerer's spells all change their damage type to psychic" and mostly be done with. Mind-reading, telekinesis, clairvoyance, all those basic psychic powers are already accounted for.

Yup, the whole thing was supposed to show that the archetype did not left enough space to recreate the psionic feel, but all I can see is that they cannot do it perfectly now because it lack some thematic spell effects. Well in that case, just create those new spells, no need for a whole new magic system with a class that's the only one using it.

Yaarel

He Mage
I too dont like the pseudo-sci-fi feel of many previous attempt. I do like the idea of ''the power from'' within the last Mystic had.

For me, psionics as the power from within is important.

Most demands for a full psionic class come with the idea that the class is needed for specific settings to exist (Darksun, Eberron, Nentir Vale), but I've rarely spotted someone who requested the class in itself just for the sake of it.

For the record, I need psionics for its own sake. I love the flavor. Also, Norse magic is strictly psionic. This appeals to me.

I dislike a material component − heh, and resent the requirement of a costly material component. Even the requirement of a wand comes across as annoying.

Material components are mainly Hellenistic magic, where specific kinds of stones and plants have specific kinds of properties. Celtic magic also relies on material components for potions. Material components are, by definition, non-innate.

I like psionics. Innate.

Incidentally, Eberron is cool. I tend to shy away from post-apocalyptic flavor generally, so am less of a fan of Darksun. But I prefer psionics for most settings, whether old-school Greyhawk or viking regions or near future.

While there are folks that do legitimately like the feel of psychic powers, in my experience the hardcore psionics fans I've met are more into the broken and easily-abused rules that have traditionally come with it in D&D.

Despite that, I think that Sterling Lanier's Hiero's Journey, the Appendix N-listed novel and a strong inspiration on psionics, is a lot of fun. It practically reads like proto-Gamma World.

I've never really understood the appeal of Psionics in D&D.

Yaarel

He Mage
The top things about psionics that I care about.

Psionics is normal D&D magic.
• Psions have Dispel Magic on their spell list.
• Psions have Wish on their spell list.

Psionics must be innate magic.
• Psions never use a material component. Especially not a costly component.
• Psions do sometimes use a verbal component. Language, self-expression.
• Psions can use a somatic component. Ones own psychometabolic body.
• Psions might use objects in rituals to imbue the object with mental power.

Psion must be a full caster with full access to spell level 9 spells.
• Psions need whatever spells make sense on their list.
• If other classes claim a ‘monopoly’ on those spells, heh, then kill them.

Psionic spells are innate.
• Innate.
• No material components.
• No spirits.
• No ghosts.
• No Farrealms.
• No crystals.
• Yes, innate.
• Innate only.

Psionics is a kind of magic, whose source is the mysterious quality of consciousness itself.

That is a reason why I am cool with the name, ‘mystic’.

Yaarel

He Mage
While there are folks that do legitimately like the feel of psychic powers, in my experience the hardcore psionics fans I've met are more into the broken and easily-abused rules that have traditionally come with it in D&D.

Despite that, I think that Sterling Lanier's Hiero's Journey, the Appendix N-listed novel and a strong inspiration on psionics, is a lot of fun. It practically reads like proto-Gamma World.

In my experience, the fans of psionics that I know are fans of the 3e Psion. This fan base cares deeply about gaming balance, and integration as a normal aspect of D&D. That said, this base tends to divide between those who need medievalesque flavor to fit seemlessly within core D&D, versus those who love the quasi-techno-babble as a distinctive flavor. I am in the normative D&D camp, so I like the name ‘mystic’.

Yaarel

He Mage
We need a good spell point system.

The spell point system in the DMs Guide, is ugly, unnecessarily complicated.

Probably, spells of low tiers of spell slot levels 0 to 5, can be treated separately from high tier spells of slots 6 to 9.

So there can be two systems, and both straightforward and simple.

Which is why I'm one of the biggest advocates of "make it close to spells" and completely disapprove of any justifications of why Dispel Magic or similiar things shouldn't work on psionics.

I still feel a separate class for Psionics like the Mystic is justified, though I'm OK with other classes getting their own Psionic subclasses.

The 5e wizard is a spontaneous spellcaster, thus obsoleting 3e sorcerer.

The 5e sorcerer itself works better as a 5e wizard subclass, moreorless an evoker wizard that swaps spellbook for explosive elemental metamagic effects.

The unfortunate problem with the sorcerer is its name, a flavor that denotes black magic and demonic spirits. ‘Sorcery’ is the technical name in anthropology for this kind of negative magic that derives from external spirits rather than from ones one self. A ‘witch’ is a more neutral term that can refer to any kind of magic, including innate magic. Names matter alot to me. The wrong name makes the wrong concept, and ceases to be appealing to me. Flavor gets baked into the mechanics. I deeply dislike and refuse to use mechanics that bake in the wrong flavor.
In the vaguely 3e/Pathfinder inspired Pillars of Eternity CRPG they basically have same bunch of classes as 3e, except that the Sorcerer stand-in is the Cipher which is sort of a mixture of a Sorcerer and Psion. And it sort of has the Witchcraft angle in it's concept among that game's setting, even though I feel that a Witch in D&D is more of something that's a Druid.

Remove ads